Yamaha YZR-M1 '09 Fiat 1:12 MotoGP - 46 Rossi's Bike

Here's Tamiya's Yamaha YZR-M1 '09 1:12 MotoGP bike that Rossi rode back in 2009.

It's the first bike i've done and to be honest, i'm pretty impressed with it considering people say that bikes are a lot harder than cars. Yes it was a little fiddly and very detailed but i enjoyed building it - must get more bikes done.

I didn't use TS-51 for the blue as instructed, instead i used X-4 as i felt more confident spraying with that instead of the can. Looking back, i should have added X-31 to the blue which would have given the blue a bit of depth. Spraying the white (X-2) was a nightmare and quickly realised it needs thinning more than other colours. More of a 2:1 (thinner:paint) mix rather than the other way round which is what i use for spraying and painting tamiya paints.

IMG_20161218_121146_zpsezdo5wo9.jpg

IMG_20161218_120943_zpsouzvftrp.jpg

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Billydick said:

For a first bike kit build, that's a stunning job.  You'll be hooked on these Tamiya bike kits ! ! :goodjob:

BillyD

If i did a really good job on this then ive apparently got Marquez's bike to do too.

21 hours ago, shood23 said:

That's a very nice build Timbo I have one of these I built a long time ago, pretty much like you my first bike build. 

Shaun

I dont think ill ever get to your standard of modelling, your models are awesome!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Briggers said:

Really nice job, Blue looks fine to me.

Thanks for the tip on thinning x-2, so far for white ive been using a can of halfords appliance gloss white.

For the thinner i used boots' acetone free (green) nail varnish remover. I think i'll be going back to Asda's Acetone free (blue) nail varish remover, it seems better at thinning tamiya paints, plus its cheaper per ml.

I used hycotes Ford Van White for parts of the white but unfortunately ran out.