Printscale Decals beware

PhantomBigStu

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 7:32 PM, Duncan B said:

Here's hoping, I'll be careful so hopefully they will be fine.

Duncan B

Please report back so we can all be encouraged/forewarned.  From look of sheets on Hannants website I'd also be interested on how they pan out re colour density and colour accuracy.

8 hours ago, Seahawk said:

Please report back so we can all be encouraged/forewarned.  From look of sheets on Hannants website I'd also be interested on how they pan out re colour density and colour accuracy.

Thanks for asking, I had a bit of a torrid time with those decals. I was very careful not to let them roll up and managed to get them onto the kit without too much of an issue. That is where the real fun started though. Despite them appearing to be very thin they would not bed down into the fine panel lines on the Academy Tempest. They wrinkled up badly so I used every decal solution (starting with Microsol/set and working through to Daco Strong but nothing would touch them) I had over a 24 hour period to try to get them to settle down but had to admit defeat in the end. The colours looked too bright on the roundels, which were also translucent, and the sky serial numbers were a very strange colour which ended up being hand painted over. I had to slice the roundel decals with a knife and push them down with a cocktail stick to get them into the panel lines.

IMG_4112-L.jpg

IMG_4111-L.jpg

IMG_4120-L.jpg

When I removed them they were like vinyl and came off in large, rubbery chunks. The only part of the set that I kept without having to paint over was the aircraft serial. All in all a very costly and time consuming disaster.

Duncan B

• 1 month later...

Was just looking for something else in my decal stash and noticed my sheet of hurricanes from around the world from this manufacturer is yellowed like a chain smokers teeth. Only about five years old and stored in a sealed baggy but I’ve decals that have spent three decades in a damp attic that have aged better.

I've used a couple of different Print Scale sets and haven't had any problems with quality at all. I bought mine in the last couple of years, so maybe newer print runs/subjects have improved over older ones?

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Well,

I should have checked here before asking about these decals in the "Aircraft" section!

I recently bought their Super Frelon decals and will be VERY careful using them!  Seems like mixed reviews but mostly on the negative side, especially for the older decals.

I'll add my comments after using mine, wish me luck!

WARDOG

Edited by WARDOG
Auto-correct errors!