MACH 2 ARMSTRONG WHITWORTH ARGOSY C MK1

adey m

resized_a90b3d82-acfd-409b-b6ed-cac4a0f4

And the time has finally arrived to close up the fuselage. Cable ties hold the fuselage halves firmly together whilst the glue sets.

Mach 2 clear parts look misty on the sprues but clear up nicely if you give them a fine sanding and then use T-Cut auto paint restorer which polishes them up nicely.

And for that final shine I polish them inside and out with Mr Sheen furniture polish.

• Like 2

resized_f165699f-6849-499c-a940-1d64f68e

Note the engraved location indicators for the vortex generating vanes behind the cockpit......there are too many of them, they are not straight and parallel but should be angled  and the bottom one is located too low....I filled them and then when I sanded the filler away I could still see where the location markers were and used them as a guide.

• Like 1

resized_cd7531b3-99ea-45f6-a4b3-6ae7fa95

You may notice quite a bit of a hollow trough running where the fuselage halves join.  Looks like I better get some more filler in................

Edited by adey m
  • Like 3

Okay so at this stage I rolled my sleeves up and got down and dirty with the fuselage..........lots of filling and sanding, installing the vortex generator vanes, masking and spray painting .

resized_22811f90-187a-482a-b64d-7ad2a7c5

And then it was time to start bringing everything together for the final time.

Notice the four AIRFIX Valiant wheels complete and ready. The two nose wheels I found in my spares box, they are from an old FROG DH Hornet. .....but Canberra or Vulcan nose wheels will do too.

• Like 10

In December 1978 an Argosy freighter crew and passengers in New Zealand had an encounter with a UFO that stalked the aircraft on the outward and return flights.

ARGOSY CREW - " what on earth is that thing ?"

UFO CREW - " what on earth is that thing ?"

Edited by adey m
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, adey m said:

resized_9bab825f-25ca-4dbc-a75e-51a91293

Cripes...it's big.........where am I going to put it......................

My house: I'd love to have that on my display shelf!  (I've got no room either, but I'd make some for that any day.)

Edited by stever219
  • Like 4

Its a show stopper if ever I saw one! How did you get the fit so good? I expected to sea oceans of filler on the thing before you got to the painting stage. I need one of these kits!

Martian

• Like 2

On 23/12/2016 at 16:26, perdu said:

A lovely Whistler (must bear in mind recent emphasis upon use of language)  :whistle:

This is a great WIP adey, very well worked out

We know what you are inferring to you naughty person........you mean that affectionate term used to describe the RAF version with the nose radar..........whistling mamary.......Mike is probably not watching anyway........

have a  good one ,  Adey

Edited by adey m
  • Like 1

This looks absolutely wonderful - can't believe it's  a MACH2 kit. Looks like they have finally got their act together. Interesting to know how this compares with the Magna Models resin version? Again, the only issue is where do you put it when it's finished? I would hate to think it's put in a box hidden away in the attic where it will deteriorate. Due to the size, I think I'll wait for the Mikr Mir 1/144th scale version.   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ejboyd5 said:

Fantastic work.  I'm particularly impressed by the wing walk lines done with a black Sharpie. Could you share your secret for keeping the lines so uniform?

What I do is use a metal ruler as a straight edge. To stop the ruler sliding about on the wing while I draw with the pen I apply a couple of blobs of Blu Tack between the wing and the ruler. No model room should be without Blu Tack.......great stuff.

cheers ejboyd5,      Adey

• Like 2

10 hours ago, AMB said:

This looks absolutely wonderful - can't believe it's  a MACH2 kit. Looks like they have finally got their act together. Interesting to know how this compares with the Magna Models resin version? Again, the only issue is where do you put it when it's finished? I would hate to think it's put in a box hidden away in the attic where it will deteriorate. Due to the size, I think I'll wait for the Mikr Mir 1/144th scale version.   

Hi Adrian, thanks for your kind comments.  Each one of my large models has a box to itself specially tailored for that model. I build a cradle from paper card to support the model off its undercarriage and the models do actually live most of their time in their box in the loft. The advantages of this is they are clean and dust free when I get them out for a model show and I just load the box straight into the car.

I will show you the cradle and box I have for the Argosy later.

cheers, Adey

Edited by adey m
  • Like 1