G3 1/700 HMS Invincible Resin+Plastic+P.E.

This ship has caught my imagination,from the very first time,I ever notice it.I had plans always  to buy it,only to find that I.H.P models had stopped producing that hull .Anyway,this year they did a small run of the resin hull.The rest,bridge,turrets,funnels ,now could be bought from a 3D company of shapeways,or use a Tamiya  Rodney or Nelson instead,far cheaper.The Ships were given no names however,Invincible has come up a couple of times,so that's her name.As for her history, probably would have followed Rodney or Nelson life.

Being researching and pictures are very scarce,however there a superb  1/96 model by Alex McFadyen, HMS Anson and this what my Invincible will be based on,Well as close as I can make it.I will put a photo of this model,its just incredible.Could not have done it within it.

I have put HMS Nelson beside it to show how much bigger she would have been.These were not what-if ,the Royal Navy had order these ships,but after the Washington Treaty They were cancelled and Nelson and Rodney were built instead.more history on links below.

Link on History on Nelson https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelson-class_battleship

Link on G3 battlecruiser    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G3_battlecruiser

The Hull as it comes,sitting beside Nelson.

fQ28KTN.jpg

rdpfYSR.jpg

GxAnuiK.jpg

Dry fitted bridge and turrets.Funnels came from a resin kit,I bought HMS Furious without the hull ,it was cheap and it came with 4 funnels ,knew they  would come in handy one day.Will add plenty of detail,hatches,pipes,doors,ladders and anything else ,I can find.The date for my Invincible will late 1939 or very late war in Pacific colours ,probably had been through at least three refits and will more poms poms  and 20 mm bofors fitted,away that will come to light once the other parts arrive and see how they fit.

Edited by Chris Hewitt
  • Like 9

I believe that late M.W.Williams did an article, or possibly several on this class of ship,and the conversion of a Tamiya model of Nelson/Rodney into the same,if memory serves me correctly. In Marine Modelling, I think but don't quote me on it. And of course,there is the series of articles published in the first Warship magazines ,and later year book by N.J.M.Campbell-"Washingtons Cherrytress" which might provide additional ideas. Worth a look, if you are stuck-building "never weres" can be challenging when you are having to guess much,based on practices of the period/country/shipyard.

HTH

mtd

• Like 3

Update on Invincible,other bits have arrived,basically,a  Nelson this time ,poor ship stole turrets bridge mast ,all the tubs for the 20mm and pompoms ,mast and the whole deck were the ships boats, funnel and mast are based,however,I needed the bridge from Rodney,so to do this right both ships are required.Still cheaper than 3D parts.What these pictures show is were everything will  go .All it struck together with blue tack..Now to finish the port side doors and hatches and place everything with P.E. All the pom poms and 20mm double and single.Bass barrels for all the armaments.Lots to do.

20161222_010801_zpsxreovy4d.jpg

20161222_010021_zpsjzcjho74.jpg

20161222_010000_zpssssigwbf.jpg

20161222_005951_zpsmwd8etk2.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Have been busy,mainly painting.here is the last photo before the painting started.

20170106_111425_zpsqxj5v2br.jpg

All masked up ,which I,m glad I did,because had to paint the deck and grey underneath,would have been a disaster.

Deck painted and now can start putting it altogether.

20170112_095327_zpsehi4vsmv.jpg

20170117_133224_zpsdtb1t3ow.jpg

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder how they would have fared in WWII -- with their extra speed, they could have been far more useful than Nelson or Rodney, and I can't think of many instances where a British battleship had to engage an enemy man o' war with her aft turret only.

• Like 1

Lovely work, Chris. :yes:

On 19/12/2016 at 0:35 PM, mollythedog said:

I believe that late M.W.Williams did an article, or possibly several on this class of ship,and the conversion of a Tamiya model of Nelson/Rodney into the same,if memory serves me correctly. In Marine Modelling, I think but don't quote me on it. And of course,there is the series of articles published in the first Warship magazines ,and later year book by N.J.M.Campbell-"Washingtons Cherrytress" which might provide additional ideas. Worth a look, if you are stuck-building "never weres" can be challenging when you are having to guess much,based on practices of the period/country/shipyard.

HTH

mtd

The M.W. Williams article using the Tamiya 1/700 HMS Rodney also appeared in the April 1981 issue of Airfix Magazine.

I have put a PDF version of the article on my site here for anybody interested in doing the conversion themselves.

Dave

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

More work done,how she will end up like.The standard display boxes l use from trumpeter are great, however there is always a but, they do all the ships until l jump to anything that's the length of Hood or longer . The boxes jump up that, putting the ship all alone it looks empty.So she will be at anchor with a small supply ship transferring stores.

20170209_212134_zpsggfzrk0i.jpg

20170209_212108_zps0lehxmad.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Been busy with Invincible on and of.All rigging done and most of the antiaircraft guns fitted .She will be anchor and getting resupplied by a small freighter.

20170225_103541_zpsm8jx9gv6.jpg

20170228_182959_zpsnjyqab6l.jpg

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...