Bismarck! Tamiya 1/350 scale

Hi everyone.

Just completed Tamiya's Bismarck 1/350 scale, This is the first ship model I have built in this scale. as this is the case i thought i would test my skill's out on lots of aftermarket parts.

Eduards photo etch, detailing set, AA guns, Brass barrels, anchor chains, stairs and steps, catapult cable reels, water tight doors, port holes, ect ect.

I really enjoyed the challenge and it was something different, I learned a lot for my next ship build in this scale which is H.M.S Warspite. 

20161217_160419_zpsptjgy38s.jpg

20161217_160425_zpsuvejidgx.jpg

20161217_160314_zpsczjkdhvn.jpg

20161217_160408_zpscphdgsgo.jpg

20161217_160026_zpsttxvuvm0.jpg

20161217_155844_zpspihkovba.jpg

20161217_155805_zpswm2kgei4.jpg

20161217_155719_zpsqg5fxyvs.jpg

IMG_20161217_154957_zpsmtycsrml.jpg

20161129_215746_zpsonitychh.jpg

sorry if the pictures are not of the best quality! was all off my phone camera! :( but I hope you enjoyed the pictures apart from the quality! :) 

Thank You 

Beezwhat12

• Like 35

• 1 month later...

very good work , don't worry about the pictures , as long as you are happy with the finished result then all's good

can I ask one thing - did you use an aftermarket wooden deck ??

I built this model in the 1990's , nice kit , but I never knew at the time about the aftermarket items that transform a warship in 1/350 scale

I also hastily admit , I bought Tamiya Paint that was awful for the look of the Model , and also didn't use masking tape so my black waterline belt

was a bit wavy in places -

I can also say for your next build on HMS Warspite - try these 1/350 Flags for your finish touch on the White Ensign

http://www.becc.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d60.html            from BECC Model Accessories - I would use the A or AA Size ( Type GB02 )

I used these in the 1990's for my HMS Prince of Wales and the difference to a Decal Flag is staggering !!

• Like 1

Thank you for all your kind comments guys! really appreciate them!! :D 

9 hours ago, 73north said:

very good work , don't worry about the pictures , as long as you are happy with the finished result then all's good

can I ask one thing - did you use an aftermarket wooden deck ??

I built this model in the 1990's , nice kit , but I never knew at the time about the aftermarket items that transform a warship in 1/350 scale

I also hastily admit , I bought Tamiya Paint that was awful for the look of the Model , and also didn't use masking tape so my black waterline belt

was a bit wavy in places -

I can also say for your next build on HMS Warspite - try these 1/350 Flags for your finish touch on the White Ensign

http://www.becc.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d60.html            from BECC Model Accessories - I would use the A or AA Size ( Type GB02 )

I used these in the 1990's for my HMS Prince of Wales and the difference to a Decal Flag is staggering !!

Thank you 73north! :) I am happy with the finish, was a very good learning curve and have used them and put to practise on the H.M.S Warspite :) 

I did use an aftermarket wooden deck, MK1 Design i think the make was, i thought i would try one out! and it makes one very big difference the look and texture is very much like the real thing, just could do with darkening the colour of the wood 

as it comes across very light in my opinion, especially if you have the ship in a weather'd look :) but other than that, they fit very very well abit fiddly but as long as you take your time they are brilliant! :) 

I also used tamiya paint, i found the tones of the greys where abit dark and did't show of the detail very well, so i used whites and light greys mixed with in and pre shaded just to get better shadows for the detail! :) 

Ooo Thank you very much for that recommendation! :) them flags will go nicely for the warspite!! I have brass flag poles for the warspite as i went for the pontos detail set in the end, as it comes with full brass masts and 

accessories! it's comming along very nicely i have a work in progress build thread if you was interested in taking a look :) http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235013535-academy-1350-hms-warspite/#comment-2608582

thank you 

Beezwhat

• Like 1

Lovely build and of great interest to me as I've just bought the kit and stocked up with the Eduard PE, Master barrels and Eduard figures. Plan to do mine 'at sea'. Just gotta add some anchor chains to the AM and it'll be stocked ready to go. Don't intend to invest in a wooden deck, will have a go at using weathering techniques to get the deck looking good.

Cheers

Kev

• Like 1

On ‎03‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 8:42 PM, beezwhat12 said:

Ooo Thank you very much for that recommendation! :) them flags will go nicely for the warspite!! I have brass flag poles for the warspite as i went for the pontos detail set in the end, as it comes with full brass masts and 

accessories! it's comming along very nicely i have a work in progress build thread if you was interested in taking a look :) http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235013535-academy-1350-hms-warspite/#comment-2608582

thank you 

Beezwhat

Edited by 73north
  • Like 1