C-141A Starlifter in 1/72 - have I finally lost touch with reality?

davepb

I saw it advertised on EvilBay, and couldn't resist it. I managed to smuggle it into the house, but haven't opened the sealed bag yet (still time to escape), but I've bought an example of the Archer Nova C-141A Starlifter vac-form in 1/72! (Told you I was losing it).

Now a very important question I should have asked earlier, has anyone made one of these, and if so, what was it like? I can't find any build reviews on the web, so any help is welcome.

Cheers from the madhouse

Well Dave hope the smuggling career is going well?

I built the Nova Vulcan many years ago, bought it directly from their shop somewhere in the USA? Memory fading, was on a trip there for some reason???

My thoughts on the Vulcan were that it was well thought out and went together quite well. You have probably noticed you will need to do a fair bit of scratch building (cockpit) I did all 5 seats in the Vulcan and after the canopy was applied found you could barely see 2 of them!! Also got the C-141 but that project stalled when I tried to decide how to tackle the engine fronts, which are quite prominent of this bird. Well I should have paid attention when I was at an airshow somewhere and the nice crewman removed one of the engine covers so I could shoot some close up pics!?! Doh!! Use engine covers! Maybe I will venture into the shelf of doom and dust this bird off???? HTH

Good Luck!

I did the C-141B about thirty years ago.  The main thing that I can remember right now is that I may or may not have used C-130 prop spinners for the engine exhaust cones.  When finished it originally resided at the Beale AFB museum.  A couple of years later after spending a year in the Philippines and being assigned to Travis AFB, I was able to get it back, do some minor repair work and it is now on display at the Travis Museum.  Beale had taken it out of display at the time I got it back, and later their museum was shut down.  All in all is was a rather straight forward build, just like a lot of the Rareplanes kits were.   I'm thinking I may have used some rather large fishing weights to keep it on it's nose gear.  I did it with everything buttoned up, and stole some seats from an Italeri C-130 and a Hasegawa P-3.  Somebody who had waaaaayyyyy to much time on their hands did one with the rear cargo doors opened up and everything all decked out.  It was displayed at a now long closed hobby shop in the Torrance area of Los Angeles county.

Later,

Dave