K2 Tanker conversion for Airfix Victor B2?

Whitewolf

Although parts can be taken from the old Matchbox/Revell Victor K2 and used on the Airfix kit, does anyone know if any of the Big Aftermarket companies is planning an accurate resin K2 conversion set for the Airfix kit, or indeed do Airfix intend to bring out an additional parts set like they did with the Valiant?

• Like 1

Looking at the breakdown of the Airfix kit I think it's pretty safe to say a K.2 will come from them, whether that's in a dedicated kit or as an additional parts set, who knows yet.

The shorter wing tips are easy enough modify, especially as they are separate parts, but at the moment the HDU pods and centreline pannier will have to come from the Matchbox kit.  There might be some kicking about, where  people have converted that kit to a bomber!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

I'd wait.  Whether Airfix produce a different kit or a small conversion set as they did with the Valiant, it's bound to be better than the Matchbox parts.  They really are awfully crude, even compared with the rest of the kit.  Unless you fancy adding the Flightpath improvements on top ...

Airfix won't release a K. 2, or a conversion set, until they've seen how well the B. 2 sells (from all accounts so far, pretty well).  

The kit has been tooled with a number of "follow-ons" in mind: there are already provisions for the K. 2s underwing refuelling pods and the rear fuselage floodlights are moulded (solid) on the part carrying the tail bumper (not required on the B. 2).  The big underwing tanks have the intakes on the lower front parts and have flashed over locations for the dump fairings(?) peculiar to the K. 2s, as is the aerial above the port fuselage centre section (must check if there's provision for the Falklands-era Omega navaid antenna under the rear fuselage).  

The underwing tanks are scored inside to allow for installation of "sniffer" noses as fitted for some SR. 2s on atmospheric sampling sorties (thanks Tony/avro683 for pointing that one out: I'd already banged my tanks together by then).  Very early B. 2s are also a possibility: the early style, non Blue Steel, bomb doors, separate Kuchemann/Whitcomb fairings on the wings and flashed-over locations for the underwing tanks point that way.  The only Mk. 2 provision that appears to have been overlooked is the very early style fin root intake and this modification ought not to be beyond the ability of most reasonably experienced modellers.

Edited by stever219
Due credit to avro683 and addenda
  • Like 2

I'm with Steve on this, but I'm fairly confident that a K.2 will follow.

The Omega aerial fitment is a bit of a botch job on the real thing and has a lovely mastic seal to the fuselage so lets hope Airfix can capture that accurately, I wonder what colour the mastic should be... :D 

On ‎20‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 11:52 AM, bobgpw said:

I'm with Steve on this, but I'm fairly confident that a K.2 will follow.

The Omega aerial fitment is a bit of a botch job on the real thing and has a lovely mastic seal to the fuselage so lets hope Airfix can capture that accurately, I wonder what colour the mastic should be... :D 

On the camouflaged aircraft it was black, but tended to get cleaned up and painted over on the Hemp/LAG aircraft

XVTonker  :pilot:

• Like 1

Hi Bobgpw

Not such a mastic botch job - looks fairly neat to me. 

XL231 in 1985

XL231Apr850001.jpg

XM717 in Sept 1993 (Retirement Press Day)

VictorK20029.jpg

and from the rear

VictorK20028.jpg

There now, that stopped the "mastic colour argument" eh!?! :D

ATB
Rick

6 hours ago, Spad said:

Hi Bobgpw

XL231 in 1985

XL231Apr850001.jpg

VictorK20029.jpg

and from the rear

VictorK20028.jpg

ATB
Rick

Not until you give us an FS595 match and Tamiya paint mix n match for it it hasn't!:P

Edited by stever219
  • Like 2

I was told you could never trust colour photographs...! ;) 

That black mastic is beautifully done and I hope those responsible won a prize.  Nato Black, Coal Black or Tyre Black? 

Bob

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Spad said:

Hi Bobgpw

XL231 in 1985

XL231Apr850001.jpg

VictorK20029.jpg

and from the rear

VictorK20028.jpg

ATB
Rick

Surely it would be the same colour as the fuselage underneath the rear of the canopy on the P47 & P40?😅

On 12/19/2016 at 10:08 PM, stever219 said:

Airfix won't release a K. 2, or a conversion set, until they've seen how well the B. 2 sells (from all accounts so far, pretty well).  

The kit has been tooled with a number of "follow-ons" in mind: there are already provisions for the K. 2s underwing refuelling pods and the rear fuselage floodlights are moulded (solid) on the part carrying the tail bumper (not required on the B. 2).  The big underwing tanks have the intakes on the lower front parts and have flashed over locations for the dump fairings(?) peculiar to the K. 2s, 

Not too peculiar to the K.2 as it appeared also on pre-K.2 variants 

See here - XL161 as an SR.2 with sniffer pods while with 543 Sqn - Link for reference purposes only

1227642.jpg

Not been able to establish if only the SR.2 used them aside from tankers 

• Like 1

Thanks Spad: I hadn't previously seen that image.  It shows off the weapons bay air deflector petals well, some scratch building required there if you want to replace the kit parts and can't wait for Eduard to do their thing.

I assume that's an air show shot; landing configuration and weapons bay doors open?  The other thing it shows is the black sealing gasket (for want of a better word) between the unde wing tank and the wing.  I believe that at one point there were sealing strips on either the leading edges of the flaps or the trailing edge of the flap shrouds to minimise gaps when the flaps were retracted, but I don't know if the jets kept hem 'til the end of their service lives.  

Is that a drain mast to the left of the tail bumper?  I don't think that it's in the kit.

22 hours ago, bobgpw said:

I was told you could never trust colour photographs...! ;) 

That black mastic is beautifully done and I hope those responsible won a prize.  Nato Black, Coal Black or Tyre Black? 

Bob

Mastic black.......:-)

XVTonker

• Like 2

Spad's photo also shows the landing light outboard of the port main wheel well which, inexplicably, Airfix have only depicted as an engraved circle after having gone to the trouble of providing clear wing tips to make installing the navigation lights easier.  The landing lights are hinged at the front to swing downwards when selected "ON" (as were the Vulcan's) and can relatively easily be replicated in the stowed position by drilling out, backing with aluminium foil and then glazing with Kristal Klear, Clearfix, clear plastic sheet or your own preferred material.

• Like 3