Blackburn Buccaneer STGB Chat

Col.

1 hour ago, At Sea said:

Can we wait for the TanModel kit?  :sorry:

I think we may have a long wait ahead of us :( 

Fingers crossed.  I have to build at least one for myself and another as surprise for a friend who's sadly passed father was back seater on Bucc's.

• Like 1

Some aircraft are a real draw no matter what kits are available and the mighty banana coke bottle jet is one of them, count me in, I have both the 1/48 and 1/72 scale Airfix kits awaiting my attention in the stash.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, At Sea said:

Fingers crossed.  I have to build at least one for myself and another as surprise for a friend who's sadly passed father was back seater on Bucc's.

It would be good if Tan do get at least one of their Bucc kits out soon. There's certainly room in the model market for them I'd say, it seems Airfix is in no hurry to help us, it's highly unlikely Revell will for at least the foreseable future, Hasegawa and Tamiya I doubt have ever even heard of it, and Trumpeter will need a modern kit to copy badly before considering it.

18 hours ago, MarkSH said:

Some aircraft are a real draw no matter what kits are available and the mighty banana coke bottle jet is one of them, count me in, I have both the 1/48 and 1/72 scale Airfix kits awaiting my attention in the stash.

That's what I was thinking too Mark :D With something of a mini-stash of Airfix 48th scale kits it's high time I made a start to them and an STGB should make that happen in good company.

• 3 months later...
Just now, stevej60 said:

Hopefully Airfix's new tool in 1/72 will be in the shop's by the time this GB start's.

We can live in hope Steve :D 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Col. said:

We can live in hope Steve :D 

Along with the smaller scale Hunter I think it will come Col(and please please a Scimitar).

• Like 2

On 12/23/2016 at 6:16 AM, snapper_city said:

The Tan Model one is due the first half of 2017.

And here we are in the second half of 2018... 😕

I'd be up for this GB, but by the time it comes around I most likely won't be able to access the stash - it'll be on a whole different continent to me (if all goes according to plan).

5 hours ago, Rob G said:

I'd be up for this GB, but by the time it comes around I most likely won't be able to access the stash - it'll be on a whole different continent to me (if all goes according to plan).

Yep. Still waiting. Until it's ever released I don't think I'll own another Buccaneer unfortunately. Like many I'm desperate for a new tool. 

8 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Along with the smaller scale Hunter I think it will come Col(and please please a Scimitar).

There is a certain inevitablility about the 72nd scale Hunter and a Buccaneer too but a Scimitar would be the icing on a cake of bankruptcy for me :lol: 

5 hours ago, Rob G said:

Aye :(  At this rate I'll get around to the ones in my stash before the Tan kit appears!

No idea what that plan is Rob but I hope it goes well for you - just start a new stash ;) 

26 minutes ago, snapper_city said:

Yep. Still waiting. Until it's ever released I don't think I'll own another Buccaneer unfortunately. Like many I'm desperate for a new tool. 

It'll prove to be a popular kit when it eventually appears I'm sure and the rumours are the work on it is continuing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Col

Put me down for this please, I've decided to hold on to the brick till this build and do something else for the warsaw pact GB 

• Like 1

Hi Col 

Thanks for posting this in the 1960s thread. I have already built 2 Airfix 1/48 Buccs and been planning to convert another one into a NA39 prototype. I've got 3 more in the stash so it might not stop there 

I will join the STGB next year. 

Colin 

• Like 1

On 8/1/2018 at 8:51 PM, Colin W said:

Hi Col 

Thanks for posting this in the 1960s thread. I have already built 2 Airfix 1/48 Buccs and been planning to convert another one into a NA39 prototype. I've got 3 more in the stash so it might not stop there 

I will join the STGB next year. 

Colin 

No problem at all Colin. The NA39 conversion in 48th scale will make for a stunning model and you have plenty experience with the kit so sure you'll make a grand job of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Always had a soft spot for the Bucc ever since seeing one low level through the lines of ships preparing for the 1977 Spithead Review, then seeing one pass down the side of LONDONDERRY in the Med in the early 80s and we literally looked down from the bridge wing into the cockpit and then finally have a six-ship fly underneath my Lynx while we practised TACDI.  Count me in.

I was fortunate enough to get one of the Airfix twin boxing "mistakes" about 12 years ago and made one in 208 Sqn desert yellow.  The other one has to be 809 NAS from ARK's last deployment, either on the cat, bridle attached or catching the 3 wire.  Of course if the Tan Model one does come out in time, it might be preferable to fighting the horrid fuselage joins again...

I think my only concern is the timescale.  Last time I did one I was off work with an injury and was modelling pretty much full time and that took 3 months.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to this, thankfully it's late in the gb calender, that gives wingnut wings chance to completely trump the tan models fantasy bucc, (maybe just as tan are about to produce the  " saint graal" , perhaps amk would step up, 

Sorry couldnt help it

Glynn (its going to be airfix isn't it) 

Edited by Hewy
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hewy said:

Looking forward to this, thankfully it's late in the gb calender, that gives wingnut wings chance to completely trump the tan models fantasy bucc, (maybe just as tan are about to produce the  " saint graal" , perhaps amk would step up, 

Sorry couldnt help it

Glynn (its going to be airfix isn't it) 

If only! :lol:  So yes unless there's a new piece of shock news coming at us soon it'll be a case of cracking out our Airfix kits. Or perhaps the Matchbox/Revell ones.

3 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

My heart skipped a beat when I saw that date - I had to check the year!

Just another year to wait now 🙂

One more year for Glynn's WNW kit to hit the shelves ;) 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/10/2018 at 22:59, Col. said:

If only! :lol:  So yes unless there's a new piece of shock news coming at us soon it'll be a case of cracking out our Airfix kits. Or perhaps the Matchbox/Revell ones.

One more year for Glynn's WNW kit to hit the shelves ;) 

If only! Still i live in hope that the airfix announcement at smw could be for a 1/48th buccaneer, stranger things have happened 🤞

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hewy said:

If only! Still i live in hope that the airfix announcement at smw could be for a 1/48th buccaneer, stranger things have happened 🤞

:pray:

• Haha 1

With impressive timing, I bought a copy of the Haynes Buccaneer manual at The Works this afternoon. Looks like excellent reference reading in the run-up to this STGB.

https://www.theworks.co.uk/p/new-non-fiction-books/haynes---blackburn-buccaneer-manual/9781785211164

I did ask the cashier if she could arrange for them to get similar books for the Phantom and Lightning 🙂

• Like 2

Please don't tell me that was the Cheltenham branch! If it was I completely missed the 'Bucc' Haynes manual as I was looking for new titles in there today!! At only £6.00 a pop its worth a regular visit.

39 minutes ago, MarkSH said:

Please don't tell me that was the Cheltenham branch! If it was I completely missed the 'Bucc' Haynes manual as I was looking for new titles in there today!! At only £6.00 a pop its worth a regular visit.

Should have gone to specsavers!

A big pile of them.

• Haha 1