Jump to content

As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Col.

Blackburn Buccaneer STGB 2nd May to 2nd August 2020

Recommended Posts

On 12/17/2016 at 9:41 AM, Col. said:

Been thinking about building a couple of Buccaneer kits for a while and wondering if anyone would like to join me from 2nd May to 2nd August 2020 for this STGB :) 

 

Could you confirm the dates please - thread title says 2020?  2019 stgb calendar says next weekend - and I'm eager to start this:

Airfix-Buccaneer.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Could you confirm the dates please - thread title says 2020?  2019 stgb calendar says next weekend - and I'm eager to start this:

Airfix-Buccaneer.jpg

It got pushed to next year because of Airfix’s  new kit. They decided to wait until it was out so it was an option for people to use. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

It got pushed to next year because of Airfix’s  new kit. They decided to wait until it was out so it was an option for people to use. 

Thanks.  Missed that bit - I'll put it back into the cupboard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was plenty copies of this kit for sale at Scale Scotland on Saturday. Or rather at the start of Saturday; not many left by the end of the show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well my new Airfix Bucc arrived today and at first sight it looks OK. For the price I would have hoped for a wider selection of weapons but Airfix chose to model what was retrospectively known as the S2C so only bombs and rocket pods, and only decs for 2 planes although aftermarket ones are readily available. I expect that like the F4 they will be releasing an RAF S2B in due course, and perhaps an RN S2D with Martel/Sea Eagle later. If not they will no doubt be available in after market conversions before long, or I could borrow the ones from the old kit which was well equipped with missiles, or use ones from the old Airfix "Hi-Tech"weapons sets, though I would need the modified pylons I guess. Must check later to see if the new kit has the flare dispensers on the underside - not sure when they were fitted and whether the RN ones had them.

 

Don't know if I will hold this back for the GB or just do an RAF conversion of the old kit with Matchbox intakes. I have appropiate pods, nose, tail etc

 

Cheers

 

Pete

Edited by PeterB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PeterB said:

Don't know if I will hold this back for the GB or just do an RAF conversion of the old kit with Matchbox intakes.

Build this one now.  Get another for the GB.  :fool: 

 

That's wot I'm gonna do...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/28/2019 at 9:21 AM, theplasticsurgeon said:

Could you confirm the dates please - thread title says 2020?  2019 stgb calendar says next weekend - and I'm eager to start this:

Airfix-Buccaneer.jpg

Think I probably only paid 6/- (30p for our American friends) when I bought this just after it came out (as the N.A. 39 I suppose), but would gladly snap another one up for 90p! I threw mine years ago unfortunately when the Matchbox S2 came out - I will look forward to watching this build as it brings back happy memories. The working features (folding nose and wings plus rotating bomb bay with "nuke"as I recall) left big gaps so it will take a bit of work with filler. Pity about the wait!

 

Cheers

 

Pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Build this one now.  Get another for the GB.  :fool: 

 

That's wot I'm gonna do...

Nice idea Enzo, but I doubt either my pension of my wife would allow it!

 

Pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2019 at 11:14 PM, PeterB said:

Think I probably only paid 6/- (30p for our American friends) when I bought this just after it came out (as the N.A. 39 I suppose), but would gladly snap another one up for 90p! I threw mine years ago unfortunately when the Matchbox S2 came out - I will look forward to watching this build as it brings back happy memories. The working features (folding nose and wings plus rotating bomb bay with "nuke"as I recall) left big gaps so it will take a bit of work with filler. Pity about the wait!

Cheers

Pete

Sure a few of us would like to get hold of a cheap NA.39/S.1 kit for parts to convert the new kit but dare say the aftermarket are on that already :pray:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No new 1/48 Bucc in sight for the GB.... 

Do I really beed to source the old Airfix pirate?!... :headbang:

Was quite sure a new one would be available in time....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, exdraken said:

No new 1/48 Bucc in sight for the GB.... 

Do I really beed to source the old Airfix pirate?!... :headbang:

Was quite sure a new one would be available in time....

I'm sad to say that yes, if you want to do a Bucc in 48th scale, you will have to source the old Airfix kit.

 

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hannants has them in stock i just looked at them an hour ago ? 
 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AX06021

 

That's the 72nd scale kit Dennis :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Col. said:

I'm sad to say that yes, if you want to do a Bucc in 48th scale, you will have to source the old Airfix kit.

 

That's the 72nd scale kit Dennis :(

:doh:dang should have read that better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Col. said:

I'm sad to say that yes, if you want to do a Bucc in 48th scale, you will have to source the old Airfix kit.

Was hoping for Tanmodel....

But guess they have other problems down in Turkey  :(

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

:doh:dang should have read that better. 

No worries man. We can live in hope Airfix will upscale it in the near future.

47 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Was hoping for Tanmodel....

But guess they have other problems down in Turkey  :(

 

From what I understand Tan Model have been busy on other projects and this one, while still alive, has been put aside for these. Maybe someday soon we'll see it revived :pray:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Col. said:

From what I understand Tan Model have been busy on other projects and this one, while still alive, has been put aside for these. Maybe someday soon we'll see it revived :pray:

I do hope so!

http://www.tanmodel.com/en/index.php

 

When they announced it, I thought the GB would be littered with those models then.... not a new 72nd Airfix one! ;)

 

 

Edited by exdraken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, exdraken said:

I do hope so!

http://www.tanmodel.com/en/index.php

 

When they announced it, I thought the GB would be littered with those models then.... not a new 72nd Airfix one! ;)

 

 

Perhaps we are due a sudden spate of new Bucc kits in the same way F-104 Starfighters and F-14 Tomcats seem to have become popular subjects again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are the chances of an injection moulded S.1?  :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

What are the chances of an injection moulded S.1?  :lol:

Keep wishing my friend :pray: We may be in luck yet.

Edited by Col.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few years ago, Airfix released a conversion set for their Valiant kit.  I think it would be possible to do the same for an S.1 conversion set.  Everything could fit on a single sprue.

 

The set would no doubt be expensive as the market would be quite limited. However, I think that as a specialist item, there would be some interest.

 

Parts that would need to be retooled:  upper centre fuselage; lower centre fuselage; intakes and engine fronts (5 parts); exhausts (2 parts).  The intake fairing on the forward fuselage side would have to be removed, but there would be no reason to re-tool new parts.  As the set would be aimed at modellers, that should be within their capabilities.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:hmmm:  While doing my research for this GB, as well as a test build of the new Airfix kit - just to get my hand in, yannow - I seem to have become utterly obsessed by Buccaneers.

 

In addition to the four builds I have planned for the STGB, I now want to do a Granby build.  :wall:    And that's in addition to the WHIF Marineflieger build that I have going in the Film, Fictional and Speculative GB.

 

My plans for this STGB are:

 

Blackburn NA39.   Don't know yet how I am going to do this.  Maybe I will graft the upper fuselage and intakes from the original Airfix kit onto the new one.  Or maybe I will build the Resin Art kit.  Whatever, it will almost certainly be in this scheme.

 

spacer.png

 

Buccaneer S.2D   Wearing the overall Extra Dark Sea Grey scheme. Rather than use the Airfix OOB schemes I fancy the later scheme with the red/blue roundels.  I also fancy doing this with wings folded and carrying a refuelling pod.

 

Buccaneer S.2B    Classic early-80s overall camouflage, depicting a Laarbruch jet.  Tanks, CBLS but no refuelling probe or RWR on the wings. 

 

Buccaneer S.50    Carrying large tanks and AS.30 missiles, in this scheme.

 

spacer.png

 

Can't wait for it to start now!  :frantic:  :bounce:  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well just received my new Airfix kit and was keen to get stuck in, now find the GB has been moved to May next year.

So into the stash it goes, won't even try to fondle the plastic until needed, or I can't contain myself any longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a nice collection you've got planned there @Enzo Matrix

 

6 hours ago, Graeme H said:

Well just received my new Airfix kit and was keen to get stuck in, now find the GB has been moved to May next year.

So into the stash it goes, won't even try to fondle the plastic until needed, or I can't contain myself any longer.

Go for it then get yourself another copy in time for the GB ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Graeme H said:

Well just received my new Airfix kit and was keen to get stuck in, now find the GB has been moved to May next year.

So into the stash it goes, won't even try to fondle the plastic until needed, or I can't contain myself any longer.

You may want to check it before then. Airfix has a known history of short shot parts and other defects in there new releases. Particularly clear pieces with molding defects or inclusions. I can recall Sea fury and the Spitfire Mk.XIV as two of them off the top of my head. Best to find out now and sort it out, then wait for 5-6 months and have to fix it then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...