Blackburn Buccaneer STGB Chat

Col.

12 hours ago, MarkSH said:

Doh! back in tomorrow! They can't have been on the wall shelves.

Hope you do get a copy today Mark. Sounds a good reference for Glynn's future WNW or Airfix kits that are about to be announced ;) 

On 26/10/2018 at 19:52, theplasticsurgeon said:

Same place as all the other Haynes.

Thanks for the heads up :)

Picked one up this afternoon along with one for the McLaren MP4/4 I have in the stash as well, at £12 for the pair you can't go wrong :) 

13 minutes ago, rafalbert said:

I have a CMR kit sitting in the stash so I will come and play if I may.

Dave

Of course. You're most welcome to the party with that kit :D

• Like 1

OK even though I'm getting over extended on GBs please put me on the List for any one of Airfix, Frog (Novo / Spawn), Matchbox (Revell), or Airfix 1:72 BlackBananas.  

Edited by Rob S
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ok I would love to build one of these but i have to ask ? Does anyone currently kit them in 1/72 ? Or would the older kits be readily available in the USA through swap meets or other means? 

Alas no. So second hand channels are your only option I'm afraid to say. Had a quick look on eBay as I was typing out this but no joy unless you want to throw silly money at "collector's item" kits :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Rob S said:

OK even though I'm getting over extended on GBs please put me on the List for any one of Airfix, Frog (Novo / Spawn), Matchbox (Revell), or Airfix 1:72 BlackBananas.  

If you are able to join with any of those you'll be most welcome :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Even though this GB is ten months away, I'm doing my research and getting a bit freaked out by the choices.  Some hard decisions to be made here.

I'm also a bit concerned that the latest release of the Airfix kit seems to be utterly unavailable.  I haven't seen a single one on evilbay.   But I have a cunning plan.  I'm going to chuck a lot of resin at a Revell (ex-Matchbox) kit. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Even though this GB is ten months away, I'm doing my research and getting a bit freaked out by the choices.  Some hard decisions to be made here.

I'm also a bit concerned that the latest release of the Airfix kit seems to be utterly unavailable.  I haven't seen a single one on evilbay.   But I have a cunning plan.  I'm going to chuck a lot of resin at a Revell (ex-Matchbox) kit. 

When I first proposed this STGB the forum was susurrous with talk of Tan Model working on 72nd and 48th scale Bucc kits. Alas here we are now and still without a readily available, far less modern readily available, kit of the subject. Perhaps Airfix will delight us all on January 4th with news of an imminent answer to many prayers due to fill model shop shelves in good time for this event :pray:

An Airfix Buccaneer would be the perfect complement to their Phantom FG.1.

Mind you, we've been saying that about the Sea Vixen for some time but still no joy. :fraidnot:

In other news, I've been looking at the FROG Buccaneer.  That looks quite interesting. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

An Airfix Buccaneer would be the perfect complement to their Phantom FG.1.

Mind you, we've been saying that about the Sea Vixen for some time but still no joy. :fraidnot:

In other news, I've been looking at the FROG Buccaneer.  That looks quite interesting. 

A new Buccaneer from Airfix seems to be somehow the natural order of things in my mind. Then again I've also expected Revell to bring one out as well so I guess that shows how little I know :shrug:

I've never seen what's inside the box of a FROG Buccaneer kit. Any good?

5 hours ago, Col. said:

I've only seen pictures, but it looks to be accurately shaped with raised panel lines and no interior whatsoever. That means the fuselage is see through from the intakes to the exhausts.  Given the AM resin available, I don't think that will be an issue. 

32 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I've only seen pictures, but it looks to be accurately shaped with raised panel lines and no interior whatsoever. That means the fuselage is see through from the intakes to the exhausts.  Given the AM resin available, I don't think that will be an issue. 

Sounds like a good blank canvas to work from if an example can be found at a reasonable price.

11 hours ago, Col. said:

Hello Col. I just bought one 2 weeks ago. I can photograph it and post if you’d like ? I can do it this afternoon when i get into my office. 

• Like 1

It seems ok to my eye. Of course im a full fledged member of the Monogram Mafia so raised panels dont bother me. I can scratch something for the office or buy something ? The Bombay isn't bulged so you're restricted to early types unless you can find a Matchbox or A/M. I will take the photo’s and post them this afternoon/evening.   

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

I'm also not averse to raised panel lines.  In any case, the Bucc was quite a smooth jet so sanding the lines down and rescribing won't be too difficult.

There is a cockpit set available from Neomega and replacement bomb bay doors from Odds 'n' Ordnance.   Slipper tanks are also available from a couple of sources including Freightdog. 

As for Monogram kits...   I believe that every modeller should build the Monogram 1/72 F-4J Phantom at least once.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Col. I just bought one 2 weeks ago. I can photograph it and post if you’d like ? I can do it this afternoon when i get into my office. 

Yes please. That sounds a great plan :) 

1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I'm also not averse to raised panel lines.  In any case, the Bucc was quite a smooth jet so sanding the lines down and rescribing won't be too difficult.

There is a cockpit set available from Neomega and replacement bomb bay doors from Odds 'n' Ordnance.   Slipper tanks are also available from a couple of sources including Freightdog. 

As for Monogram kits...   I believe that every modeller should build the Monogram 1/72 F-4J Phantom at least once.

I like the sound of that as well Enzo. Alas I don't have a Monogram 72nd scale F-4J in the stash so if you could send my one over some time soon that'd be grand thanks :D 

9 minutes ago, Col. said:

Alas I don't have a Monogram 72nd scale F-4J in the stash so if you could send my one over some time soon that'd be grand thanks :D 

I built mine in 2015 for the F-4 STGB.

The currently available Revell kit is the same plastic.  Give it a go.  You know you want to...  :wicked:

• Haha 1

Hello @Enzo Matrix & @Col. .. Ok here goes this is the kit i have. 

kQRge8h.jpg

vFsYxQM.jpg

Instructions.

Scto15k.jpg

jwIOqAI.jpg

Plastic.

s9wu2bt.jpg

5kWCqPP.jpg

0NjkCCr.jpg

wBRbwm4.jpg

lXmxvoA.jpg

The Decals are in the files and quite yellow so hoping to find alternatives if i can get the Bulged belly i will need Desert Storm decals in the pink/sand color. If not this will probably be Royal Navy. Hope this helps the plastic does seem a bit hard, Brittle maybe ? Hard to explain the feel of it ? Ive never built a Frog kit before, not sure if thats standard. I guess that means I'm in virgin territory here. I was angling for the Frog G/B but may build this here if i can find another Frog kit ? 

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you @CorsairfoxfouruncleI've seen worse parts in more modern boxes so, as @Enzo Matrixsays, throw a bit of time and some aftermarket along with a bit of scratch-building and you could have a good Buccaneer out of that. If I come across one I'd be seriously tempted to build it in-flight just to make use of that cool stand and the crew figures. Oh, while we're on the subject, Fly Navy ;) 

Thanks Dennis.  That's very helpful.   :thumbsup:

It's definitely an S2A as it had the fifth vortex generator on each wing missing.  These were removed to allow fitment of the universal pylons for Martel carriage.    The pre-Martel S2 had the pylons in slightly different positions.

The shape looks good to me and the panel lines should be easy to rescribe.   I think I'll see if I can lay my hands on one.

I'm actually quite inspired by the fact that there isn't a modern mainstream kit available.  Although by the time this GB rolls around, there may be.

I had to say "mainstream" as I have two of the CMR resin kits in The Stash, together with a Scale Resin NA39.

3 minutes ago, Col. said:

If I come across one I'd be seriously tempted to build it in-flight just to make use of that cool stand

nodnodnod   There was always something smart about the FROG stands.   They always seemed to be moulded into the main sprues though.  I would have throught it would have been more cost effective to have a seperate mould for them, like Airfix did.