6 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Or all three...   :wicked:

All three Royal Navy schemes? :thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Has to be RN no?:wicked:

As I have 2 in the stash might deign to do an RAF one if there is time :D

Oh yes! :D

1 minute ago, JohnT said:

Enjoy you are a very naughty boy. You will be suggesting I add an S1 to the list as well next

Don't give him ideas!

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Col. said:

Don't give him ideas!

I've just given myself ideas...   I have an original Airfix kit of the NA39 in The Stash.  I wonder if the intakes and other bits could be grafted on to the new Airfix kit...  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I've just given myself ideas...   I have an original Airfix kit of the NA39 in The Stash.  I wonder if the intakes and other bits could be grafted on to the new Airfix kit...  

I'm sure they can be eventually with sufficient patience and persuasion :bangin:

On 1/25/2019 at 9:46 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

Depends on what you want to build

If it's an S.1 you want, then I tried in the past to crosskit the NA-39 with the Matchbox kit and gave up. It can be done of course but the S.1 also requires different exhausts and the NA.39 kit includes a very early style that was not used on production aircraft.

I'd rather check the Heritage Aviation set fits the new Airfix kit. That's assuming that this set can still be found, may be worth asking Kitsforcash.

Interestingly my plan for this STGB is to use exactly this set on the "old" Airfix S.2

• Like 2

How prescient of you in your planning for this GB and the timing of it!  I am opting in to enhance the pre-release anticipation just that much more!  

While I will be most certainly diving in with the new Airfix kit, would it be out of bounds if I picked up where I left off on my 1/48 build for the last GB ..... 10 years prior?!!  Really though, a quick build of the new kit will likely be as much as I can realistically complete, but I haven’t done anything with that 1/48 build since the prior GB and will likely need to finish it up during the 2030 GB! 

Edited by wadeocu
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, wadeocu said:

How prescient of you in your planning for this GB and the timing of it!  I am opting in to enhance the pre-release anticipation just that much more!  

We aim to please :D 

3 hours ago, wadeocu said:

While I will be most certainly diving in with the new Airfix kit, would it be out of bounds if I picked up where I left off on my 1/48 build for the last GB ..... 10 years prior?!!  Really though, a quick build of the new kit will likely be as much as I can realistically complete, but I haven’t done anything with that 1/48 build since the prior GB and will likely need to finish it up during the 2030 GB! 

Given how much effort the 48th scale kit can soak up just getting the fuselage parts to fit together I'd say that so long as you havn't progressed much beyond that stage then it'd be under the 25% rule and good to go again ;) 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Col. said:

..... so long as you havn't progressed much beyond that stage then it'd be under the 25% rule and good to go again ;) 

Cheers Col.! We will see just how far inspiration will carry me away then!!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I'll join the party, I've had the second kit from a two kit 1/48 Airfix boxing in the stash for a long time, need to get it built before a new kit is released.

It'll be finished in either Gulf War colours or the ultimate grey scheme.

Cheers

Muzz 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Muzz said:

I'll join the party, I've had the second kit from a two kit 1/48 Airfix boxing in the stash for a long time, need to get it built before a new kit is released.

It'll be finished in either Gulf War colours or the ultimate grey scheme.

Cheers

Muzz 

Either one of those schemes will look grand and they are equally valid points in the Buccs life story :)

Hi,

I bought the NA 39 from my local chemist when it first came out, but threw it away when I bought the Matchbox S2, which I now regret. As I recall Airfix were going through their Gimmicks Phase" so it had wings, nose and possibly tail cone that folded (may be wrong about some of that) which made it a bit of a mess but I could have fixed that if I still had it! I have a Matchbox and Airfix S2 in my stash and was about to build them, but may wait for this GB. I have also pre-ordered the new Airfix moulding and have bought both the early and late mod sets from Freightdog, so we will see what happens. I gather the Matchbox engine intakes are better than the Airfix ones and have somewhere a conversion article cross kitting the two, so if I end up with 3 kits I may just just do that to end up with one RN and one RAF.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 2

13 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi,

I bought the NA 39 from my local chemist when it first came out, but threw it away when I bought the Matchbox S2, which I now regret. As I recall Airfix were going through their Gimmicks Phase" so it had wings, nose and possibly tail cone that folded (may be wrong about some of that) which made it a bit of a mess but I could have fixed that if I still had it! I have a Matchbox and Airfix S2 in my stash and was about to build them, but may wait for this GB. I have also pre-ordered the new Airfix moulding and have bought both the early and late mod sets from Freightdog, so we will see what happens. I gather the Matchbox engine intakes are better than the Airfix ones and have somewhere a conversion article cross kitting the two, so if I end up with 3 kits I may just just do that to end up with one RN and one RAF.

Cheers

Pete

I'm sure the Airfix kit is going to prove a popular one for them and also in this group build. I'm also wondering if we'll see plenty of the older kits suddenly appear on eBay as it's release comes closer? From what I can recall of the Matchbox kit it looked like a Bucc and went together well so kept a young me happy at the time. That was, however, a long time ago :lol: Perhaps getting hold of the old NA.39 kit would make an interesting cross-kitting exercise to gain an S.1 or just as a comparison.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Col. said:

I'm sure the Airfix kit is going to prove a popular one for them and also in this group build. I'm also wondering if we'll see plenty of the older kits suddenly appear on eBay as it's release comes closer? From what I can recall of the Matchbox kit it looked like a Bucc and went together well so kept a young me happy at the time. That was, however, a long time ago :lol: Perhaps getting hold of the old NA.39 kit would make an interesting cross-kitting exercise to gain an S.1 or just as a comparison.

Hi Col,

Yes the Matchbox kit looked ok except for panel lines, but had neither pylons nor weapons I think. Please put me down for an updated RAF version of the Airfix 1989 release and a naval version of the new release, The only 1960 NA 39 I have seen recently were all from the US and with postage were in the £20-£30 range. Having done the F4K and now the Buccaneer, perhaps they will get round to downsizing their Sea Vixen some time - I hope.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterB said:

Hi Col,

Yes the Matchbox kit looked ok except for panel lines, but had neither pylons nor weapons I think. Please put me down for an updated RAF version of the Airfix 1989 release and a naval version of the new release, The only 1960 NA 39 I have seen recently were all from the US and with postage were in the £20-£30 range. Having done the F4K and now the Buccaneer, perhaps they will get round to downsizing their Sea Vixen some time - I hope.

Cheers

Pete

Cool, that sound as good plan to me Pete :thumbsup: 

Buccaneer kits of any type seem to fetch big money on eBay lately :( Hopefully a Mk.1/NA.39 conversion will appear for the new Airfix kit soon :pray:

• Like 1

On 10/05/2019 at 17:56, Col. said:

Hopefully a Mk.1/NA.39 conversion will appear for the new Airfix kit soon :pray:

I think that Alley Cat and/or Aerocraft would be perfectly capable of doing one.  However, given the size that the replacement resin parts would need to be, it will probably be expensive.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

A question on weapons fits.   Some of the early naval Buccaneers carried the AGM-12 Bullpup missile.   I have seen photos of an aicraft with Bullpups on the outboard pylons and 2" rocket pods on the inboard pylons.

However, I would prefer to build one with the tanks on the inboard pylons and Bullpups on the outboards.  Was this fit ever used? 

• 2 weeks later...

Enzo - I have not seen this combination.  The Bullpup loads I have seen are the same as you describe. 

The Bullpup seemed to fall out of favor fairly quickly.  My old man tells stories of firing Bullpups from F-4Es over Vietnam and having them fall to the ground, fail to detonate or just fly wildly off over the horizon.  I wonder is the RN took notes and dropped it from the inventory accordingly.

Incidentally, this is the load I am thinking of putting on my first build of the new Airfix kit.  I am planning on building XN974, the first production S.2.  I think that is a fitting place to start with what will likely be many builds of this new Airfix kit! - Jack

• Like 2

I think you are right.  I've also noticed that tanks were not carried very often on the grey/white jets.

Like you, my first build will feature Bullpups outboard and 2" rocket pods inbvoard.  However, I'll be using 801 NAS markings. 

• Like 1

If anyone wants an Airfix NA39 kit, there is one on evilbay.

It seems to be carrying some sort of super secret ECM pod which changes its appearance totally...  :D  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RF-C-Airfix-Kit-in-1-72-Na-39-Buccaneer-Boxed-Very-Rare/352728578567?hash=item522042fa07:g:oI8AAOSwT8ZdNKXP

• Confused 2

36 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

If anyone wants an Airfix NA39 kit, there is one on evilbay.

It seems to be carrying some sort of super secret ECM pod which changes its appearance totally...  :D  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RF-C-Airfix-Kit-in-1-72-Na-39-Buccaneer-Boxed-Very-Rare/352728578567?hash=item522042fa07:g:oI8AAOSwT8ZdNKXP

I think the pale blue plastic totally changes the look

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Now that the kit has been released, who will be the first aftermarket resin company to issue an S1 conversion?

I'm wondering who's going to be first to show us their new purchase :)