Blackburn Buccaneer STGB Chat

Col.

16 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

nodnodnod   There was always something smart about the FROG stands.   They always seemed to be moulded into the main sprues though.  I would have throught it would have been more cost effective to have a seperate mould for them, like Airfix did.

Hmm that's a good point. I'm sure the old FROG kits I did make back in the day had seperate stands in a light blue plastic.

21 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I'm actually quite inspired by the fact that there isn't a modern mainstream kit available.  Although by the time this GB rolls around, there may be.

We can only live in hope 🙏 With what looks to be the Revell 2019 release schedule now posted on Hannants I guess our next candidate is Airfix with their promissed announcement on January 4th.

2 minutes ago, rafalbert said:

There is an Airfix one on ebay at the moment.

I'm almost afraid to look at how much it's going for.

9 minutes ago, rafalbert said:

There is an Airfix one on ebay at the moment.

Thanks for the heads up!

Edit:   it turned out there were three and I've managed to snag one.

This STGB might just turn into a heritage build featuring Airfix, FROG and Matchbox kits... 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Thanks for the heads up!

Edit:   it turned out there were three and I've managed to snag one.

This STGB might just turn into a heritage build featuring Airfix, FROG and Matchbox kits... 

Cool! Well done Enzo :D 

As for this becomming a heritage build; yes sadly I suspect it will as other than these and the equally old Tamiya 100th scale kit there's precious little else to work from :( 

4 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Don't forget the superb CMR resin kits...

I know there's a few more options in resin including the CMR and Heritige kits as well as a lump of stuff in 48th scale from a now forgotten company I paid far too much for in the early 90s long before the internet could be relied upon to save us from ourselves and the chances we took buying stuff unseen other than from badly printed mail order lists. Honestly, £60 for something that was less detailled and likely would have proved harder to construct than the Airfix kit which came out shortly afterwards :rolleyes: 

1 minute ago, Col. said:

Honestly, £60 for something that was less detailled and likely would have proved harder to construct than the Airfix kit which came out shortly afterwards :rolleyes: 

I feel your pain.  Hallooooo, High Planes Beaufighter...   :D 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I feel your pain.  Hallooooo, High Planes Beaufighter...   :D 

:sick::lol: Perhaps these were our sacrifices to the Gods Of Modelling who then gifted the masses the mainstream kits?

11 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Id love a newer tool with interchangeable parts for the bomb bay. On that note id love a decent Sea vixen for my RN collection. 

Wouldn't we all! Sure a new, well detailled, well engineered kit isn't beyond the abilities of most kit manufacturers and would sell well in Britain at least if not across the world. Plenty colourful decal options as well if they include the interchangeable parts.

8 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

Really looking forward to this one starting Col. I have a 1/72 Airfix kit set aside with some Neomega bits, but I still have to decide on a final scheme. Navy or RAF?? :shrug:  

Sounds good to me John. I've a natural tendency to say Fly Navy but the RAF schemes also look rather cool on a Bucc.

Ladies, gentlemen, other genders, please permit us a slight change of plan if you will. As you will no doubt know by now Airfix have announced a new-tool kit of our subject with a projected release date of September 2019. While this would see the kit arrive in time for this STGB recent history has shown us that, with the best wil in the world, release dates can and will slip. Therefore we're going to move this GB slightly to allow for any unseen eventuallities and delays. This will also give the international market greater time to receive copies of the kit and aftermarket manufacturers time to get those lovely goodies out ;) To this end our Buccaneer STGB will now take place from 2nd May to 2nd August 2020 :)

Edited by Col.
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello @Col. ... count me in on this one. I have the Frog Buccaneer but was going to use that in the Frog group build. Now i will have time to get an airfix Buccaneer. 

We are hoping there will be plenty of the new Airfix kits available by then but the older kits are all still just as valid :) 

25 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

What Gb has replaced this in the schedule?

I think the next new STGB subject to qualify will fill the vacated slot.

20 minutes ago, Col. said:

I think the next new STGB subject to qualify will fill the vacated slot.

Would it not be better to shunt the existing STGBs back to fill the gap? if a new STGB is inserted that means that the Corsair and Bucc GBs have almost identical slots.

7 hours ago, MarkSH said:

Would it not be better to shunt the existing STGBs back to fill the gap?

That's probably what we'll end up doing.  Discussions are underway with the relevant GB hosts.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Given this is scheduled for 2020 I hope to have the 1/1 scale house build out of the way and be able to tag along if you will have me

Be delighted to have you joining us John :) You thinking navy, RAF, or SAAF?

Edited by Col.