1:72 Monogram Grumman F7F-3 Tigercat

On 12/17/2016 at 16:31, keefr22 said:

Wonderful model Bill, really superb job! Looks flawless as usual, stunning build & paint!

Beautiful Tigercat!

Keith

Thanks, Keith! It didn't turn out exactly the way I planned, as that detail set fought me a bit. In the end though, I finally have a Tigercat to put in the display case!   :)  

On 12/17/2016 at 16:39, modelglue said:

Now that's just spiffy. Nice work on the model, obviously, but I also think it goes without saying we appreciate the work you put into your presentation and WiP.

I love that head-on photo - the fuselage is just so skinny. Maybe this was 1940s technology for reducing the radar cross-section.

On 12/17/2016 at 18:11, Niles said:

That's really nice work, looks so impressive with the nacelles opened up to show the engines.  I'd be impressed if it was 48th, but particularly being 72nd.  Getting your fingers in there to do that work must have been challenging.

Now as far as "female promiscuity" let's hear it for that.  Isn't that what keeps morale going in the Navy between the hardtack and the floggings?

Trust me, my fat fingers never got anywhere near those engines. Sharp pointy tweezers and mini-clamps, guv! And I don't know about that promiscuity thing. Heck, I had to look up how to spell it let alone what it means.    :banghead:

Cheers,

Bill

Great work as usual, Bill

We used to have a real one at Duxford until a few years ago. Lovely a/c - Unfortunately they sold it before I could get a satisfactory photo of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John R said:

Great work as usual, Bill

We used to have a real one at Duxford until a few years ago. Lovely a/c - Unfortunately they sold it before I could get a satisfactory photo of it.

Thanks - there are a lot of great photos of that aircraft on the net. Go to airliners.net and search for G-RUMT.

Cheers,

Bill

Blinking Heck Bill,.......that is a bit special mate,.........really well done indeed and the supporting act are no slouches either!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

That's a stunning representation of this rather handsome aeroplane.  Terrific work on the engines.  I built this kit some years ago.   Needless to say it wasn't even in the same class as your build.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
11 hours ago, Luis Alfonso said:

Congratulations for this Wonderful build and wonderful WIP!!!

Thanks mate!

10 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Is that Jaguar from Planet Models?

It sure is. One of the first resin kits I built. I added the "horsals." Here is the RFI for the Jaguar (WIP link included).

8 hours ago, CJP said:

I love the way these older posts pop up now & then as I had not seen this beauty before - you made it look the equal of any of modern kit

Yeah, that is  fun. There are so many great RFI and WIP posts on this forum that it's pretty much impossible to view them all (especially when you accidentally mark all forum posts "as read" as I did once...). I really enjoy the older posts when they pop up.

That said, I think the Tigercat deserves a new, modern tooling in 1:72. At one point, AZ/KP was talking about a new kit (probably based on the older Pavla kit) but nothing ever came of it. This might be a great subject for Arma Hobby. Just saying...

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

Sorry to be five years late to this superb build Bill, it's one of the best models on the entire site. Can't say more than others have said, but this was worth all the effort and battle to complete, it's a gem.

Fantastic, mate 👏👏👏

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2021 at 9:33 AM, Navy Bird said:

Thanks mate!

1,000,000 Thanks to you My Friend!!!

I started to try watch which prop the Ticergat use as have two pending projects that lacks props and wanted to look for infor...and ended reading many days as my free time  permitted all the thread,  got my info and followed your wonderful job from start to finish. I confess I am not so capable  to do a wonderful build  as yours  but that encouraged me to go ahead with what I have and finish some projects ( including One Monogram and one Nichimo) after a very long time sleeping the just's sleep... 

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso 

• Like 1

Wow, 

Just finding this thread now... quite late uh..!

Fantastic build as ever, I like your result very much. Inspiring and though mine is built (but I might start another one one day) your WIP is very informative - thank you.

I actually  went exactly the same way with my own F7F. I did not like the Octopuss kit at all and reverted back to the old Monogram kit. I prefer to work those classic mainstream kits (did quite the same with the Monogram F8F which is the same type of kit.).

It also was a lenghy built (5-6 years) with quite the same aftermarket options : I think props were stolen from Hasegawa F6Fs and I may have used Aires/Quickboost engine cowlings.

... and how lovely it is to see such a beautiful F7F in 1/72nd scale - rare sight.

Cheers

Eric B.

• Like 2

That is gorgeous Bill,..... and the engines are the icing on the cake,..... well up to your usual high standards,..... as are the accompanying models!

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 1

On 12/09/2021 at 12:26, Wulfman said:

Superb modelling on a very basic kit !

Thanks! What the old Monogram kit lacked in details (cockpit, wheel wells) I think it made up for with accurate shapes. It was a good place to start for this project.

On 12/09/2021 at 23:05, kapam said:

Absolutely superb! Since this is an apparently 3 year old post, I must go check out any subsequent builds - they're sure to be amazing, judging by this Tigercat!

Thanks! I have quite a few builds here on Britmodeller, so please feel free to search them out. I'm glad you like the Tigercat.    :)

On 13/09/2021 at 02:57, Alan P said:

Sorry to be five years late to this superb build Bill, it's one of the best models on the entire site. Can't say more than others have said, but this was worth all the effort and battle to complete, it's a gem.

Thanks! Better late than never. I like it when older threads that I may have missed get bumped back up again. Glad you liked this one!     :)

On 24/09/2021 at 21:02, Luis Alfonso said:

1,000,000 Thanks to you My Friend!!!

I started to try watch which prop the Ticergat use as have two pending projects that lacks props and wanted to look for infor...and ended reading many days as my free time  permitted all the thread,  got my info and followed your wonderful job from start to finish. I confess I am not so capable  to do a wonderful build  as yours  but that encouraged me to go ahead with what I have and finish some projects ( including One Monogram and one Nichimo) after a very long time sleeping the just's sleep... 

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso 

Thanks Luis! I hope I've been of some help with your build. The Tigercat is such a beautiful aircraft.

On 25/09/2021 at 11:14, Eric B. said:

Fantastic build as ever, I like your result very much. Inspiring and though mine is built (but I might start another one one day) your WIP is very informative - thank you.

I actually  went exactly the same way with my own F7F. I did not like the Octopuss kit at all and reverted back to the old Monogram kit. I prefer to work those classic mainstream kits (did quite the same with the Monogram F8F which is the same type of kit.).

It also was a lenghy built (5-6 years) with quite the same aftermarket options : I think props were stolen from Hasegawa F6Fs and I may have used Aires/Quickboost engine cowlings.

... and how lovely it is to see such a beautiful F7F in 1/72nd scale - rare sight.

Thanks Eric! I looked around for the Octopus (Pavla) kit and never could find it. I never could find the Nichimo early version Tigercat either. I read somewhere that AZ had acquired the Pavla tooling and were going to reissue it, but nothing ever came of that. Maybe someday.

If you want to see a really crazy build of an old kit, check out my Revell PB4Y-1. Especially the part where I added the relief tube for the waist gunners.    :)

On 25/09/2021 at 15:44, tonyot said:

That is gorgeous Bill,..... and the engines are the icing on the cake,..... well up to your usual high standards,..... as are the accompanying models!

Thanks Tony! I wonder if we could convince someone like Arma to make a new tooled Tigercat in 1:72. I'd buy one...      :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I never could find the Nichimo early version Tigercat either.

And now I know why. They never made one. The kit of the prototype was made by Aoshima. D'oh!    :doh:

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Bill,

That is one awesome build of my favorite twin engined fighter! Like you, I think the Monogram kit is still the best basis to do any of the single or two-seat variants, and I think I have all of the same upgrade sets that you used, but have yet to use them- after seeing yours, not much chance of that happening! I do have a half-completed conversion, taking the Monogram kit back to an F7F-1 with the smaller, rounded fin; like you, I opened up the oil cooler outlets on the upper wings and made new open accessory section hot air outlets on the bottom of the cowlings...about as far as I got, for some reason. I think the time it took to finish this masterpiece was time well spent! I am sooo jealous! :worthy:

Mike 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2021 at 2:43 PM, Navy Bird said:

And now I know why. They never made one. The kit of the prototype was made by Aoshima. D'oh!    :doh:

Cheers,

Bill

Hi Bill:
Sorry for the mistake...I lead you to look for  something wrong. 

Cheers!!!

Luis Alfonso