Armstrong Whitworth Whitley MkV

Ascoteer

It did...sadly missed...Dennis was a real character...as were many of the regulars! It wasn't unknown for the owner of the local garden centre, which was just up the road, to go home seated in a lounge chair in the back of a pick up, wearing a top hat, and with pint in hand, waving to all passers by on the slow drive home in a fashion known to all fans of British Royalty!

Happy days!

Ian

• Like 5

I asked because we did a few 'Lunch of the Month' pushes out that way when I was at Strike Command.

But, sadly,  the world isn't what it was.

Historically my local was the Royal Standard at Forty Green - I crawled home through the woods (totally ratfaced) at least once).  :blush:

• Like 5

I know it well Debs...one of the few pubs so old that just trying to walk on the flagstones makes one look drunk!

My true local is the Harrow in Hughenden Valley, grew up right across the road and crawled/staggered/lurched home MANY times. Every time I return home I can guarantee I'll meet someone I was at school with in there.

Ian

• Like 1

I'd love to Debs! I'm only home from 21st to 27th. 22nd is already spoken for (The Whip in Lacey Green with a couple of school friends!) so let me know when and where would suit you...I don't yet know if I'll have transport I'm afraid....

Ian

Ian, I'll pick you up in the Dray.

Adnams and Shepherd Neame

in the back. Woodfordes too probably.

Scratch that, Wednesday I'll most likely

be in Newark at the Flying Circus.

Tomorrow it's London, Hatton Garden

and Euston so an early start.

• Like 1

Perdu

"Oh by the way, you do know you missed the revised club meet last weekend do you?"

Ah no I thought it was today!! I even had some chocolate biscuits from the posh supermarket to bring along :(

Sorry for nicking your thread Debs, felt duty bound to apologise for my absence.

Anyroad the builds coming along nicely, and yes I can testify to Adnams beer being the dog's ...... Especially their Ghost Ship pale ale. Had a weeks holiday Aldeburgh in September. Glugged a fair bit...all in the interests of research of course...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I'll sit quietly at a table and nurse an ale watching this if I may? That's if Miggers doesn't get me in the head with a dart first....

Dart Tony?,no.no.no.:blink:

Darts ain't my style Tony,can't throw 'em for toffees.:deadhorse:

Spitfire or Lancaster Bomber for me please.:beer:

Won't be me rushing past Christian,far too gentlemanly and polite for that game:pipe:,though the Mrs reckon's once I get into the

car I can become Mr Impatient BMW Driver:whistle:.

I find that the new C47's joints leave a bit to be desired too Debs,good work on the Whitley though.

• Like 1

Oi! No throwing missiles around in my thread, that's my job!

So, the Airfix sub-assembly construction madness continues...

Airfix would have you build up the rear fuselage section as a unit and then mate it to the centre section  wing sub-assembly.

Yeah, that will work not!

Doing it that way will inevitibly lead to a prounounced step at the joint. I therefore elected to attach the rear fuselage sans roof such that I could support the joint between the 2 sections. I did this with a piece of scrap sprue whilst the joint set, which was then later removed.

6cfd910d2b.jpg

6cfdf17a78.jpg

6cfe2b4f65.jpg

Once that was set, then I added the roof:

6d1da2466d.jpg

6d1dcc47ac.jpg

My roof part was a tad warped and fit had to be 'assisited'. You'll notice that the forward starboard joint looks poor - it's not yet stuck down since I am working from rear to front and need to work out a way of supporting the joint as it sets.

• Like 11

On 17/12/2016 at 2:13 PM, Ascoteer said:

I too remember a photo' in the Roger Bacon 'Straight and Level' column in 'Flight' of a Whitley doing a beat up and looking as if it was about to imminently crash. The caption, IIRC, was along the lines of: "A bit late on the round-out Hoskins!"

I'm told that Uncle Roger was actually JM Ramsden, the editor, which would make the Roger Bacon byline a nom de plume.  Anyone know for sure?  There was a similar column in the RAeS journal.

I'll be looking in on this one for sure.  I've the B.V and the GR.VII boxings.  Haven't decided whether my VII will be 'Kipper Fleet' or 'Better-off On A Camel.'

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Like 2

Thanks for the heads up about putting the fuselage together Debs, I most likely wouldn't have thought of that one until it was too late.

Martian

• Like 2

Wen I did mine I followed the "airfix way" and the rear fuselage fitted like a glove.  I have to say your way does have merit, so I may try when I do the coastal command version that is near to top of the next to do pile (assuming its not gazumped by the Victor)

Now where are those custard creams.....................

Tim

• Like 1

Well here I am late again, I'll just settle down at the back. Love the way your beating this old Frog version into shape.......whaddya mean its the new airfix kit....sheesh! Now who had the last custard cream?! :eat:

Bob

Like Tim, I just followed the instructions for assembly on mine and everything fitted ok. I did quite a bit of dry fitting before hand rather than going into the assembly blind though. Fortunately, it had very little warping unlike some banana shaped Lancs I've had!

well, late to the party as always. Just found the thread this afternoon.

Good progress so far, but from this and a number of other threads I think airfix are off my list from now on.   I can't stand it when companies just do a half bottomed job - there's absolutely no excuse, other than them being cheapskates and trying to short change the customer. 

It does seem strange. I've a Lancaster MkII to build with no warpage, yet the Whitley has a few (admittedly minor) problems. I too spent a lot of time on dry runs before applying any solvent!

It's just little niggles really (for eg the vertical fins don't fit as snugly as they should) and rather disappointing given that what I wanted (part way through my Albert saga and all the corrections / modifications that needs) was a relaxing OOB build.

However what really annoys me is stuff like the lower rear fuselage joint. That justshould not happen on a new tool kit, especially one that costs the best part of £25. Fortunately 'souping' has cured the problem but I now need to rescribe some panel lines.

• Like 1