Nimrod54's Modelling Year

nimrod54

This year proved to be a productive one for me, with models from different genres making for quite a pleasant change and with one exception the builds have been part of a STGB or GB event. 

First to be finished this year were a couple of 1/144 Tornado builds. Technically these were started last year but failed to meet the GB deadline and ended up being carried over to the KUTA VIII GB along with a Firebirds F.3 and a Luftwaffe ECR, both of these being completed at the end of 2015. The Italian ECR and Saudi IDS had the majority of their work done this year, so they are going in as part of this years completions. :P

Four Nations Tornado KUTA - Part 3 (The Italian Job)

Italian Air Force

Tornado IDS (ECR) MM7054, 50-40

155th Squadron, 50th Wing

1/144th Revell, Mark1 Decals

DSC00304_zpsg6ppdtni.jpg

DSC00303_zpsmu8qvium.jpg

DSC00306_zpsxugydoxu.jpg

DSC00305_zps7gs5of9k.jpg

Four Nations Tornado Kuta - Part 4

Royal Saudi Air Force

Tornado IDS, Black 7506

No. 75 Squadron, 11th Flying Wing

1/144 Revell GR.1, Mark1 Decals + Kit Stencils.

DSC00328_zpshxclecnr.jpg

DSC00329_zpssxibhuvk.jpg

DSC00330_zpsmrsgaocd.jpg

DSC00331_zpsuwroieey.jpg

Another technical completion for this year was this 1/72 Turkish All Stars F-5B for the F-5 STGB. The underside was masked with Frisket film. 

DSC00353_zps7dluxk55.jpg

DSC00354_zpsxmsbswfm.jpg

DSC00358_zpsybi0bezb.jpg

Next up was this model for the Republic P-47 Thunderbolt STGB quickly followed by a build for the Made in Britain GB.

Tamiya 1/72 Republic P-47D 'Bubble Top'

9th USAAF, 510 FS, 405FG

'Phyl Darlin' 2Z-J flown by Lt. Robert E Wagner

St Dizier, September 1944

DSC00555_zpsixpik0zu.jpg

DSC00556_zpsmvm33czy.jpg

DSC00552_zpsj4rdkzjt.jpg

DSC00553_zpskxwgshxr.jpg

GWR 3700 CLASS

No 3440 City of Truro

Kit:

Dapol OO Scale City of Truro

Link to Build City of Truro

DSC00691_zps7hpee9ds.jpg

DSC00688_zpshrmwlccy.jpg

DSC00689_zpszyaclt8b.jpg

DSC00690_zpsbehtceqn.jpg

As the half year point approached I finished this for the Edgar Brooks Memorial GB and wrapped up a Hawker Hunter T.7 the following month.

Eduard 1/144th Spitfire Mk.IXc

ML296, DU-N, flown by Otto Smik, 312 Sqdn North Weald, August 1944

Finished with Humbrol enamels and kit decals.

Build Thread Here

DSC00927_zpsxbgrntcx.jpg

DSC00907_zpsviyvxn6h.jpg

DSC00906_zpsjor9svji.jpg

Hawker Hunter T.7 XF321

Royal Aircraft Establishment 1980 - 84

XtraKit 1/72

Build Thread Here

DSC01009_zpsupkond0w.jpg

DSC01011_zpszshqpim5.jpg

DSC01017_zpsar2kanam.jpgDSC01018_zps1bdnkdvv.jpg

A slight lull mid-year gave me the opportunity to take a step outside my comfort zone to concentrate on this entry for the Vignette GB along with two more 1/144th models for the Great Patriotic War GB.

Somewhere in Britain - a Railway-ish scene

N Gauge

When I started building this, the plan was to do something with the N gauge locos and rolling stock that I had in the loft. Size restrictions limited what I was able to do, and so it developed from recollections of childhood memories into what you see here.

My grandparents lived in a terrace similar to the one shown here. I had a trolley/bogie/soapbox made from scraps of wood and old pram wheels and along with friends would race up and down the roadway outside our houses. I can remember the days when cars were a rarity and the first one to appear in our street was a Ford Cortina Mk1- owned by a chap who had won money on the football pools. Being unable to find a Ford Cortina in N gauge, I chose to replace it with a Ford Anglia.

Link to build.

DSC01456_zpslwcqzm0m.jpg

DSC01450_zpssvufplrh.jpg

DSC01449_zps9swqiixv.jpg

DSC01448_zpsmdat0mxp.jpg

Focke-Wulf 190A-8

Red 11 - 10/JG301

Dresden Hellerau, January 1945

1/144 Mark1 Models

Build Thread can be found here FW190A-8 Red 11.

DSC01198_zpsorruag1w.jpg

DSC01197_zpskg0wxgbe.jpg

DSC01196_zpscmlkvtui.jpg

DSC01199_zps24sdutze.jpg

Messerschmitt Bf 109G-4/R6

White 2/KJ+GU, Herbert Meissler

7./JG 52, Eastern Front, May 1943

1/144 Mark1 Models

Build Thread can be found here Bf 109G-4/R6

DSC01230_zpsof9srp6f.jpg

DSC01228_zpseishwxzb.jpg

DSC01225_zpsqkcs2uyh.jpg

DSC01224_zpshc75l2jz.jpg

By this point we were well into Autumn and I was working my way towards finishing another two builds for the Airliner III GB starting with this Sabena Heron.

de Havilland Heron 1 - SABENA

from Airfix 1/72 Heron II with 26Decals

Link to Build

DSC01507_zps3rrifg53.jpg

DSC01513_zpsp2ojdajo.jpg

DSC01511_zpsxmg6jzjg.jpg

DSC01515_zpsuncl7vc0.jpg

Followed by this Air Canada A319.

Airbus A319 - Air Canada Kids Horizons

from Revell 1/144 kit and 26Decals

Link to Build

DSC01519_zpsegzknrsn.jpg

DSC01518_zpsennczzr8.jpg

DSC01517_zpsgmq8wtip.jpg

DSC01516_zps6tzqt3ca.jpg

My last completion was this Triumph Herald build for a friend which was handed to him on December 3rd. I used the Airfix kit and removed the top which also meant that I had to scratch build many other components such as door cards and handles, visors etc. I apologise for the quality of these photos but I had to snatch a few quick shots of the finished model before handing it over.

DSC01536_zpshx2iap2p.jpg

DSC01531_zpsncilzill.jpg

DSC01534_zps0dtpfvhs.jpg

That is it, the end of a busy year for me and it is still going on, I am currently working on a couple of Platz 1/144 Mustangs for that Group Build and have two Eduard L-39's in this years KUTA build. If you have got this far thanks for sticking with it.

Hope that everyone has a good time over the Holidays and see you all in the New Year.

• Like 11

On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 0:44 PM, maltadefender said:

That Herald is outstanding work... and the 1/144s are little crackers too.

On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 5:56 PM, SimonT said:

Those 1/144th kits are splendid, great eyesight!

On ‎18‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 2:19 PM, Kallisti said:

Nice variations there, good stuff!

Thanks for the kind comment guys. As for the eyesight Simon, I think that the next stage for me will be bulls-eye glass. :lol:

On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 2:20 PM, PlaStix said:

That's a great collection for the year and I especially enjoyed following both your MiB and Vignette GB builds. Very well done. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix and thanks again for the encouragement during my vignette build. Since completing that I have purchased a set of Masterbox ACW cavalry figures to have another crack at a small vignette over the next year. I have always fancied doing something with horses so we will see how that turns out.

• Like 1

Thanks H, I hope that next year will be as productive. As you know, I have a few group builds planned but also hope to make a start on some of the models that Mrs Nimrod has bought me over the past couple of years.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is a great year's work here. I'd like to say the English street scene made me smile - but I actually laughed out loud! Delightful.Great work.

Those 1/144 scale models are great (though is the ME109 undercarriage a bit big? Picky, I know). Always fancied Revell's Fokker Triplane in that scale - no rigging!
The Herald is excellent - I WILL get my Vitesse conversion built this year - KUTB at the end of the year? I have owned maybe 7 or 8 Herald/Vitesse variations (the real ones) and where they didn't take themselves apart, I did it for them. I am therefore one of those people who can tell the difference between the basic 948 without the brightwork, and the 'plush' (I use the term advisedly) 1200. Your friend's, as a B reg (1963) was probably the former, though with the later walnut dashboard by Remploy replacing the cardboard (really) earliest ones. Incidently, the bonnets never ever fitted. I'd spend hours setting up the rubber stops and hinge catches - one pothole and everything would be skewiff all over again....

• Like 1

I think that you are right about that 109 undercarriage Alan, and they are not helped by the overly thick doors - they are about the same thickness as those on my 1/72nd kit. The box comes with two kits and I have to make the second one yet so I will have a crack at trying to improve that area along with the tank attachment when I decide to build it.

The first car I owned to drive was a D reg Austin Mini 998, it was 14 years old when I acquired it for the princely sum of £150. That had a very basic interior with wire pulls for opening the doors. I remember the rear sub-frame collapsing after hitting a pothole when taking Mrs N back to Barnsley one weekend, she was at Bretton Hall doing a Music/English degree. But once that was repaired it gave me quite a few more years of fun motoring before I moved on to a Vauxhall Viva - that was a mistake and I always wished that I had kept hold of the Mini.

3 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

I think that you are right about that 109 undercarriage Alan, and they are not helped by the overly thick doors - they are about the same thickness as those on my 1/72nd kit. The box comes with two kits and I have to make the second one yet so I will have a crack at trying to improve that area along with the tank attachment when I decide to build it.

The first car I owned to drive was a D reg Austin Mini 998, it was 14 years old when I acquired it for the princely sum of £150. That had a very basic interior with wire pulls for opening the doors. I remember the rear sub-frame collapsing after hitting a pothole when taking Mrs N back to Barnsley one weekend, she was at Bretton Hall doing a Music/English degree. But once that was repaired it gave me quite a few more years of fun motoring before I moved on to a Vauxhall Viva - that was a mistake and I always wished that I had kept hold of the Mini.

You should have got a Herald! Separate chassis, nothing important ever fell off, the body was just bolted on, along with the suspension and all the mechanicals. The body still rusted though - I fibreglassed up the rusty floor in mine and thus blocked the escape-route for all the water that leaked in - soggy desert boots and water half way up my flairs until I knocked some holes back into the floor. Those were the days. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 6:14 PM, Cookenbacher said:

A fine years output John, I especially like the railway scene, and it's fun to see all the great schemes you always seem to come up with all in one place.

Thanks a lot Cookie glad that you like them and I apologise for the late reply, just got a few things to take care of at home at the moment.

I hope that this year will be as productive and that I can find some interesting schemes and subjects.

• Like 1