MASTERBOX WW1 CAVALRY

593jones

Whilst browsing on Ebay I found what seems to be a new figure set from Masterbox, WW1 British and German cavalry.  The two figure set, whilst interesting, does seem a little odd, as the British figure is wearing a steel helmet, mid to late war, but the German figure appears to  be wearing full dress1  Slightly anachronistic I think, as I doubt whether German cavalry were wearing full dress on campaign even in 1914.  Still, might be worth a look for the British figure, not too many Great War cavalry figures in plastic around.

Link: http://www.mbltd.info/35184.htm

That looks rather excellent!

From the look of the box art there are options to make the British cavalryman with the early war service cap. Early war German Hussar regiments had all the frogging and whistles in field grey.  However, I'm not sure how likely the encounter modelled would have been - but it certainly looks dynamic!

Al

That's interesting, Al, I didn't know that about German Hussar uniforms, pretty much all the pictures I've see of German cavalry have been Uhlans and I'm sure the uniform was plain field grey.  As you say, certainly a dynamic set, I wonder about converting the British figure into a lancer,  have to check on the dimensions of the British lance :) 

Got this on order from Creative, but unless I'm mistaken it never happened, a clash between British and German Cavalry but I'd stand corrected.  The figures and horses do seem well sculpted though.  As Al says - dynamic. Looking forward to getting the kit.

BillyD

There were clashes between British and German cavalry in the opening moves of WW1 as both sides were searching for the opposition.  Major Tom Bridges of the 4th Dragoon Guards was awarded the DSO after one such action for being the first British officer to kill a German with his sword.  Tim Carew gives a very good account of these opening moves in 'The Vanished Army', an old book, but one worth locating.

Edited by 593jones
  • Like 1