New tool F-15E/K by Academy in 1/72

sofiane1718

What's the point of a detailed cockpit if nobody is going to see it?

I hope GWH doesn't make this mistake. I really don't know who is the genius at Academy who thinks closed canopies are the thing these days.

Hello Phantome

Since you were not that nit picker about the 1/72 Trumpeter MiG-29 toy, and his open aux.air intakes, I wonder why you should nit pick about this Academy canopy. Why shouldn't you  use a micro saw just to fix  this nightmare of yours. It's just a 1 minute

affair.

I suppose you don't need to be a Genius to use that kind of primitive tool . And as a matter of fact the Genius who invented the canopy designed it as to be able to look through it ...;)

Now to be fair , you are not totally wrong but I prefer the Genius to concentrate on the shape and detail  rather than on third level detail point.

Without any animosity, and let me say that I really appreciated the work you did on that Trumpy MiG. Real nice work, indeed.

Madcop :smile:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Weird thing I noticed from those latest pictures: the F110 exhaust look very good, they seem more detailed than many others I've seen. The F100 exhausts though are terrible ! I understand that it's very difficult to reproduce the "featherless" style with a single piece of plastic, but I'd have liked something better

Me want!

Oh and there's a clip on youtube I watched last night showing an out of box review of this kit by Dusan of ScaleModelAircraft.

I'm happy with the single piece canopy, I loathe trying to vacuum dust out of an open canopy.

But the catch is....I saw from the video which states this kit is a limited edition. Noooooo! knowing my luck I'll snooze and lose.

On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 10:09 AM, Phantome said:

What's the point of a detailed cockpit if nobody is going to see it?

I hope GWH doesn't make this mistake. I really don't know who is the genius at Academy who thinks closed canopies are the thing these days.

Maybe the hypothetical genius simply refuses to assume that everybody likes an open canopy? Personally, I don't. I prefer the one piece closed option. I don't do open canopies.  Given the high standard of clarity/moulding of transparencies nowadays, you will actually see quite a lot inside so I don't see the problem. However, I accept that both options might have been preferable

Allan

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Better than the 100000 peice affair hasegawa went with that are damn impossible to get in a nice cylindrical shape

Glue the petals together, using a cylinder to keep them roughly in shape (a pen works well).

Once all the petals are glued together, turn them upside down and press gently into the exhaust ring (the separate part that goes between the exhaust tube and turkey feathers).

This will force the petals into correct alignment, so they make a neat, round assembly.

Gently pop the feathers out and let cure.

Once the feathers have set up, you can glue them to the exhaust ring and attach the actuator rods.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

Maybe the hypothetical genius simply refuses to assume that everybody likes an open canopy? Personally, I don't. I prefer the one piece closed option. I don't do open canopies.  Given the high standard of clarity/moulding of transparencies nowadays, you will actually see quite a lot inside so I don't see the problem. However, I accept that both options might have been preferable

Allan

The problem is that with a single part for the canopy, whoever likes open canopies will have to either cut the part or buy an aftermarket replacement. With a two-part canopy, whoever wants a closed canopy simply has to glue both parts in place.

Academy with these kits are giving us their own version of simpler assembly kits. This is great as can help bringing new people into the hobby. The quality of these kits is also very high and they can be interesting for more experienced modellers too. However a lot depends on the price ! If I buy a simplified kit with closed canopy and bad exahusts for cheap, I can spend the money on aftermarket parts and sort the problem. If the kits however cost the same as their standard kits, then I wonder why I should buy a simplified kit when I can buy a standard one. True, some of these kits are great even if simplified, however certain design choices are IMHO not acceptable in kits of this price

17 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

Allan

Well isn't the beauty of an open canopy that you can also build it closed? Seems like a no-brainer to me: please both. And no matter how thin the plastic is, it is not the same as seeing the cockpit unobstructed. 

I simply don't understand why Academy bothers to make the most detailed F-15E on the market and then pulls this stunt. Even more inexplicable when their previous and less detailed Mudhen did have that option.

And slightly shocked nobody seems to mind...

Well... agree about the closed canopy. It is a strange move but who cares - those who want a more detailed kit can get the Great Wall F-15E which looks more complicated but also more detailed. No doubt it will cost more as well - from what I found on TaoBao the Academy is listed at around 135 RMB and the Great Wall at 175 RMB. No idea what they will cost elsewhere but I know which one I will pick. Both seem to be nice kits so take your choice ;-)

René

8 hours ago, Phantome said:

Well isn't the beauty of an open canopy that you can also build it closed? Seems like a no-brainer to me: please both. And no matter how thin the plastic is, it is not the same as seeing the cockpit unobstructed. 

I simply don't understand why Academy bothers to make the most detailed F-15E on the market and then pulls this stunt. Even more inexplicable when their previous and less detailed Mudhen did have that option.

And slightly shocked nobody seems to mind...

Probably because nobody else  seems to think it is an issue worth getting into a right old  fankle over?:shrug:

Allan 

20 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

The problem is that with a single part for the canopy, whoever likes open canopies will have to either cut the part or buy an aftermarket replacement. With a two-part canopy, whoever wants a closed canopy simply has to glue both parts in place.

Fair point. I'd personally rather take the simplified approach though. Had too many encounters with ill fitting multi part canopies - they can be a real pain to fix!  As always though, I guess it is down to personal choice

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

Generally ok with one peice canopy, but no issue with having a two piece to include those who like open cockpits, but seems that academys choice for this easy-build kits. Though an argument againinst from a modelling point of view for the once piece has hit me this week. If theres a problems once its closed up so much easier to fix if you only have to pop a part of it off. Spent a week, or what feels like a year popping a hawk canopy off, correcting the problem, reattaching, refilling sanding and painting, before repeating in an endless cycle of despair. So much easier of all I needed to do was pop the front or back part off than the full length. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...