Spitfire Vb 7 Squadron SAAF

For what will, probably, be my last build in this GB, I'm going to 'do' this aircraft:

Golding%20photos%20054.jpg

(Linked from here: Cecil Golding)

The kit will be the ubiquitous AZ Spitfire Vb, paint will be (as ever) Humbrol and Sovereign Hobbies Colourcoats (with some Tamiya acrylics) and I'll be using the decals from the Xtradecals 'Fighters over Africa and the Mediterranean Part 1.

20161213_193958-1_zps1o6juq2t.jpg

Photographs will follow shortly.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, CedB said:

Nice subject, nice scheme, I'm in!

Looks like you're getting good value from the Xtradecals sheet too!

Tell me about it, I have part two of the sheet and haven't built a single one! The man is on fire! 

Rob

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rob85 said:

Can't believe you are starting another one Simon, looks a nice choice!

Rob

I'm toying with doing a Fulmar and another Kittyhawk (or two) too.

5 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice subject, nice scheme, I'm in!

Looks like you're getting good value from the Xtradecals sheet too!

Both the Xtradecals 'Fighters over Africa and the Mediterranean' sheets have got some great schemes, I'd recommend them.

• Like 2

Started work on this one. I think this will be last AZ Spitfire Vb I make as the molds are showing quite a lot of wear, the 'pointy' spinner is unusable and there's quite a lot of flash. It isn't a great loss as the KP Spitfire V is much better.

As you can see, I've started painting some of the bits on the sprue.

20161218_105243_zpsiw3lsuh5.jpg

20161218_105020_zpsvdemcigc.jpg

(You can see the unusable spinner here, it's next to the left-hand pointy wingtip. I've pinched one from the KP Spitfire V.)

20161218_105013_zpstwqzik0y.jpg

Since these photographs were taken I've joined the fuselage halves and assembled the cockpit.

• Like 1

My Kittyhawk 1 is virtually done, the decals done on the Spitfire Vc, the Hurricane is awaiting a matt coat, so I really need to get cracking with this one.

The airframe is about to be assembled so it's painting on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings. I'm not entirely confident that this one will be finished by 25th December but we'll see.

• Like 2

Got the Sky band, Medium Sea Grey undersides and a first coat of Ocean Grey on the upper surfaces done. I'm using the airing cupboard to speed-up the paint drying time so should get another coat of Ocean Grey and at least one coat of Dark Green on before Saturday morning but i don't think it'll get finished before 25th.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, rob85 said:

That's a shame, but considering how many builds you have completed you can't be that disappointed!

Rob

7 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Finished or not Simon, you've left most of us wallowing in your wake, not just in quantity either. :)  carry on though, no resting on your laurels now. :D

Steve.

Thanks Rob and Steve,

I've completed nine builds so far although my dreams of doing a Fulmar, another Kittyhawk and a Hurricane I Trop are over and I'm not so sure about the quality of them.

I've got the first coat of Dark Green on and the Spitfire is now in the airing cupboard drying. On the downside, I think it should have clipped wings... at least it looks like it does in the photo.

Whether this one gets finished or not, I've enjoyed this Group Build. Thanks to Jon & V-P for hosting it.

• Like 2

I've clipped the wings and dne some more painting but this one won't be finished by tomorrow. I'll carry-on with it and post photographs in the RFI section when it's done.

Thanks to everyone who helped and supported me with my builds in the GB and special thanks to Jon & V-P for hosting it.

• Like 1

Work has slowed to a glacial pace as building work has started on our house (we're having a man cave/ studio in the loft, a total re-wire, new central heating, replacement windows, new bathroom and, an extension built) which will take 7-8 weeks and it's got so cold that I can't spend more than 10 - 15 minutes in the conservatory (where I do my modelling) without losing the feeling in my extremities (I hope Ced B doesn't read this). All this means that the other kits I'm working on (a Freightdog Spitfire XI conversion and an AZ Spitfire VIII) are on hold.

Here's where I've got too (it looks a bit wet because the matt coat hadn't dried when I took the photograph).

20170111_172649

• Like 4

Snurf snurf, fnaar!

Looking very nice Simon... except the canopy? Misted up on a cold morning in the conservatory?

I hope the building work goes well. In my experience you can extend the estimated date I'm afraid. Just try to relax and ride out any problems - it'll be worth it in the end! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CedB said:

Snurf snurf, fnaar!

:D

7 minutes ago, CedB said:

Looking very nice Simon... except the canopy? Misted up on a cold morning in the conservatory?

Thanks Ced. I noticed the canopy as I was editing the photograph and I'm not sure what the cause is but I'll try to sort it out.

9 minutes ago, CedB said:

I hope the building work goes well. In my experience you can extend the estimated date I'm afraid. Just try to relax and ride out any problems - it'll be worth it in the end! 

I hope it goes well too: I'll have somewhere to do modelling and music and, will be able to get my books and stuff out of boxes. Don't tell my wife that there may be an over-run, I'm not sure she wouldn't run screaming to the hills.

• Like 1