1/76 Aifix Thornycroft Amazon SWB & LWB

55 minutes ago, Ripaman said:

Very nice Sean, do the cranes come with the kits or are you scratch building?

Did find a couple of pictures which are for reference only, which you might have seen already, don't show much. Mods please remove if they are not to be posted.

2201130328_ba88cb2a16_o_zpsri3izj9f.jpg[/URL]

DearRosey12_zpszylwlzoa.jpg[/URL]

:popcorn:

Regards

Richard

I shall be using the kit cranes but detailing them where required.

Thanks for the reference pics, I've not seen them before, they look like very late versions, with a fair amount of field modifications, more likely as they are obviously operating on a Forward Air Base, I like the POW rack behind the cab and can only guess as to the purpose of the bars across the back of the chassis....

ATB

Sean

Hi Sean, glad you like the pictures, regarding the bar across the back of the chassis, I think it is to hold levers both sides of the crane to hold it in place while it was driven. I see this picture which again is for reference and you will see this a bar going across the back, I will add this to my Matador with Coles crane build.

IMG_1047_zpsu6sl10rp.jpg[/URL]

Regards

Richard

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Ripaman said:

Hi Sean, glad you like the pictures, regarding the bar across the back of the chassis, I think it is to hold levers both sides of the crane to hold it in place while it was driven. I see this picture which again is for reference and you will see this a bar going across the back, I will add this to my Matador with Coles crane build.

IMG_1047_zpsu6sl10rp.jpg[/URL]

Regards

Richard

I had sort of guessed it was an anti-tip devise for if it got a bit rough under wheel, hadn't thought about an anti-slew lock as I'm fairly sure that was why they used to draw up the tackle block on a chain at the front, which I suppose is fine on a nice, flattish, airfield in England, but on a makey-doey airstrip in France/Italy/ Africa a little more stability is required

ATB

Sean

A very interesting build/conversion

with some excellent work.

Night bombers is on youtube

here is an extract of an engine fit.

https://youtu.be/rpLs5xdYa7k 

There is a longer version but I

can't seem to find it at the moment.

Regards

Pete

(Just down the road from that hangar!)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

A very interesting build/conversion

with some excellent work.

Night bombers is on youtube

here is an extract of an engine fit.

https://youtu.be/rpLs5xdYa7k 

There is a longer version but I

can't seem to find it at the moment.

Regards

Pete

(Just down the road from that hangar!)

That is very enlightening, did I see a yellow top to the boom I see?? I wonder how common this was?? Thanks for that.

ATB

Sean

• Like 1

In a discussion about "Night Bombers" on another DG, Mike Starmer has provided some observations about "Night Bombers" on other DGs and I'll reproduce some relevant parts:

" The bulk of this film was taken in 1944 and 1945 due to preponderance of green vehicles.  In 1943 they would have been SCC.2 brown.  Points worth noting:  The Thornycroft crane is SCC.15 Olive Drab and black with the jib in yellow ...   One overhead view of a [David Brown] tractor shows yellow bonnet and mudguards."

"The Youtube version is very faded [I have the DVD and the colours are bolder] ... The Thornycroft/crane vehicle is finished in SCC15 Olive Drab with MTP46/4A style disruptive top surfaces in SCC.14 black. The whole of the crane jib is black excepting its top surface which is yellow. This fact alone shows that enemy air activity was not at the time anticipated."

In response to a question about the black and yellow jib (and a Morris LRC in overall yellow), Ted Angus advised that WW2 UK aerodrome regs required all vehicles operating on the "landing area " to be equipped with ground danger markers and or markings. The marker was a double disc 2ft in diameter painted Orange or yellow or yellow upper surfaces. AMO 486 of 25 May 1944 required the upper surfaces of all vehicles employed within the landing area to be painted yellow or orange.

Sorry to be so long-winded but a Thornycroft with Coles Crane operating in the UK from 1944 onwards could be SCC 15 with a black disruptive camouflage and a black jib with yellow upper surfaces or with the end of the jib in yellow.

Cheers

David

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DavidJ said:

In a discussion about "Night Bombers" on another DG, Mike Starmer has provided some observations about "Night Bombers" on other DGs and I'll reproduce some relevant parts:

" The bulk of this film was taken in 1944 and 1945 due to preponderance of green vehicles.  In 1943 they would have been SCC.2 brown.  Points worth noting:  The Thornycroft crane is SCC.15 Olive Drab and black with the jib in yellow ...   One overhead view of a [David Brown] tractor shows yellow bonnet and mudguards."

"The Youtube version is very faded [I have the DVD and the colours are bolder] ... The Thornycroft/crane vehicle is finished in SCC15 Olive Drab with MTP46/4A style disruptive top surfaces in SCC.14 black. The whole of the crane jib is black excepting its top surface which is yellow. This fact alone shows that enemy air activity was not at the time anticipated."

In response to a question about the black and yellow jib (and a Morris LRC in overall yellow), Ted Angus advised that WW2 UK aerodrome regs required all vehicles operating on the "landing area " to be equipped with ground danger markers and or markings. The marker was a double disc 2ft in diameter painted Orange or yellow or yellow upper surfaces. AMO 486 of 25 May 1944 required the upper surfaces of all vehicles employed within the landing area to be painted yellow or orange.

Sorry to be so long-winded but a Thornycroft with Coles Crane operating in the UK from 1944 onwards could be SCC 15 with a black disruptive camouflage and a black jib with yellow upper surfaces or with the end of the jib in yellow.

Cheers

David

Thank you David, that has cleared up my question earlier, I sort of know now what I'm going to do with the LWB, question is now how to finish the SWB, I wanted to finish it as per pre/early war colours, just to add some colour variation in my display case more than anything, do you or anyone else out there following this know if the 'landing area' markings were in effect on something painted in blue/grey??

ATB

Sean

I'm not sure about the pre- or early war vehicles and there's nothing in my references.  However, I have asked Ted Angus and he is sure to know.

I did notice that the first Thornycroft Amazons were delivered to Cranes for completion in 1939 so they would have been finished in the RAF blue-grey.

Cheers

David

Hi,

David asked me if I could add anything to the info pile- as far as I have researched, pre-war airfield markings consisted solely of the orange disk thingy- think of those radar reflectors that yachts have, basically two disks slotted to sit at right angles. That being said I haven't seen any in use in any of the few photo's- I suspect that pre-war bomber maintenance was carried out in hangers.

With regard to early war years I have got a number of phots with yellow canvas draped across the bonnets of various vehicles- It seems a logical way of ensuring aerodrome safety and camo. However, as a caveat to that, in France 1940, this wasn't used, but then RAF vehicles in France had no distinguishing marks at all either. 

Overall colour schemes: I'm of the opinion that the RAF went into camo fairly quickly on the outbreak of war... there was an ex station clerk of the time at my local RAFA that recalls the secret mobilisation orders (issued in 1938) being an envelope containing about 12 sheets of foolscap and a paint chip catalogue from Nobels paint- he seems to think that the station held such paint, ready for issue to units. Khaki-Green No3 being the base colour. In France, the RAF adopted army colour schemes.

I'm interested in the hipring- I haven't seen any RAF Amazons with hiprings, they all seem to have had roof-racks of various kinds.

Edited by Brailledave
Add. Info
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Brailledave said:

Hi,

David asked me if I could add anything to the info pile- as far as I have researched, pre-war airfield markings consisted solely of the orange disk thingy- think of those radar reflectors that yachts have, basically two disks slotted to sit at right angles. That being said I haven't seen any in use in any of the few photo's- I suspect that pre-war bomber maintenance was carried out in hangers.

With regard to early war years I have got a number of phots with yellow canvas draped across the bonnets of various vehicles- It seems a logical way of ensuring aerodrome safety and camo. However, as a caveat to that, in France 1940, this wasn't used, but then RAF vehicles in France had no distinguishing marks at all either. 

Overall colour schemes: I'm of the opinion that the RAF went into camo fairly quickly on the outbreak of war... there was an ex station clerk of the time at my local RAFA that recalls the secret mobilisation orders (issued in 1938) being an envelope containing about 12 sheets of foolscap and a paint chip catalogue from Nobels paint- he seems to think that the station held such paint, ready for issue to units. Khaki-Green No3 being the base colour. In France, the RAF adopted army colour schemes.

I'm interested in the hipring- I haven't seen any RAF Amazons with hiprings, they all seem to have had roof-racks of various kinds.

Many thanks for that info, I'd like to treat it as a 'not needed for repaint at this time' type of truck, so I'll probably finish it as per the pre war semi gloss grey...... Re the hip ring it seems to be a 50/50 split on my reference pics, but purely the LWB, none of the SWB had them, it appears to be fairly common practice to remove the tube frame but leave the deck in place, something I'll plan to reproduce on mine

ATB

Sean

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sean,

You could probably get away with a Blue-Grey finish, if you base your subject at an MU rather than an active airfield- as far as I can tell, the priority for camo repaint went roughly like this:

Field Force (units destined for France, mainly Fighter Command, 2 group Bomber Command and Army Co-op sqns and associated ASP, MSU etc) and Mobile units (effectively Fighter Command and Army co-op sqns), 

Operational Stations,

Active Stations (Flying Training Command etc)

Reserves at MU's

It has struck me that Balloon Command was embodied and deployed prior to the declaration of war- all the phots show them in B/G, so you could show a Vehicle at a Balloon Command Depot.

• Like 1

Build finished on the SWB....

32191322495_c7af4e2687_k.jpg 

31908698872_3c950b831e_k.jpg 

Paint is on but no glass yet, will wait till it's done before the big reveal.....

Work on the LWB has slowed somewhat as I'm currently doing this Master as a commission for Ian at Wee Friends Models as a prospective new kit.....

32073273751_dd86d0c28c_k.jpg 

32153437266_7d7e64512c_k.jpg

31816365650_e510064577_k.jpg

32043018302_ceb353ce49_k.jpg

31349955384_01138b9c11_k.jpg 

ATB

Sean

• Like 2

Great work Sean,loving this interesting thread when I was a kid back around 1970/71 my friend knocked on the door and asked if I wanted 

a ride with him and his dad who was a driver back to the depot somewhere on the banks of the Tyne,there outside his house was a yellow

swb Amazon which had seen better days,I did'nt appreciate at the time it was probably a war veteran as a kid in a no car family it was a great

adventure!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Great work Sean,loving this interesting thread when I was a kid back around 1970/71 my friend knocked on the door and asked if I wanted 

a ride with him and his dad who was a driver back to the depot somewhere on the banks of the Tyne,there outside his house was a yellow

swb Amazon which had seen better days,I did'nt appreciate at the time it was probably a war veteran as a kid in a no car family it was a great

adventure!

You, sir, are one lucky bunny!! And yes, every likely hood a war vet as they stopped making them in 1939 if I remember correctly!

• Like 1

Happy day's indeed,this got me looking and I think he must have driven for a well known Newcastle company called Reeds cranes who

were based on the riverside at the time I also came across a photo http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24398

and by co-incidence back in 2007 the company I worked for based me in the old Coles crane main assembly building in 

Sunderland(then empty) which we used as storage for a couple of million quids worth of furniture for a couple of month's.now don't

get me started on the "Pink Paraffin" Tanker's that used to deliver back then which were ex army Bedford OY's my dad used to be

all over them as he drove them in Italy 1943-45!:lol:

• Like 1

On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 11:43 AM, DavidJ said:

Nice work Sean!

I'll have to get to work on my Amazon; I can't have Ian producing a kit before I finish my conversion :)

Cheers

David

Ah, but will yours have an engine in it though??? ;).... I think he's aiming for end of February, so there's your time scale to work on..... You never know, I might have mine done by then too. :D

ATB

Sean

On 18/01/2017 at 5:02 AM, vindicareassassin said:

Ah, but will yours have an engine in it though??? ;).... I think he's aiming for end of February, so there's your time scale to work on..... You never know, I might have mine done by then too. :D

ATB

Sean

The pressure is on :) and I may have some time for modelling over the next few weeks!

Cheers

David