A couple of Swedish Submarines

Orso

Swedish submarines

gotland_34.JPG
I had earlier built the HMS Gotland in 1/350 from OKB Grigorov and started a search for the other Swedish submarine that have been made as a model.

vastergotland_00.JPG

That was the HMS Västergötland from Sea Wolf. The searchtook a couple of year but finally I got one.

vastergotland_03.JPG

It isn't a very large kit in 1/350 scale.

vastergotland_17.JPG

vastergotland_18.JPG

vastergotland_23.JPG

The finished kit.

sod-vgl_01.JPG

Two of the submarines in this class got modified with Stirling engines and I wanted to build one. I was lucky to find a second kit so I could start one.

sodermanland_15.JPG

sodermanland_11.JPG

sodermanland_12.JPG

This conversion fought me. After all work with putty and sanding was done I managed to break it apart so I had to glue it together again and start all over.

swerear.jpg

To finish it I had to make a similar propeller as on the HMS Gotland. (Plastic card and the tip of an aircraft missile)

swesubs_01.JPG

swesubs_02.JPG

Here they are together. Gotland, Södermanland an Västergötland. Named after provinces in Sweden.

(The Gotland build: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234930841-hms-gotland-finished

Edited by Orso
Photobucket sabotage
  • Like 15

I first looked at this last night our time while waiting to go pick up my sons from a midnight screening of the latest Star Wars movie. Subs are not my thing especially but I enjoy looking at them & very much did so these, its easy to see a very deft touch at work, they look great. :thumbsup:

One thing that occurred to me was, I'm guessing that Swedish subs operate mainly in the Baltic & its approaches, which from memory of wartime naval story was a bit of a sub graveyeard. The guys that crew these must be very brave types. :(

Steve.

Hello Orso,

Interesting subject.

Small, but superbly finished.

The real ones, extremely dangerous.

Regards,

Dirk/The Netherlands.