1/48 Airfix Ju87B-2 Stuka - First build in 15 years!

Jonay

• Kit manufacture: Airfix
  • Scale: 1/48
  • Type: Ju87B-2 Stuka (Kit AO5100)
  • Extras used: Nil - OOB
  • Paints and colours used: Tamiya all airbrushed except prop spinner where that was hand painted. Flory Dark Dirt wash all over, Daler Rowney oil paints (thinned with X-20A) for oil streaks
  • Other info: This is my first build in over 15 years (when I was 11 I last completed a Shackleton MR3)

IEe0EdP.jpg

Please click on pictures to view them bigger - I can't find any rules on size limits so I thought I'd play safe until someone can confirm what the max size is in the forums.

I started this build I about a month ago - picking up where I last left off about 5 years ago - I couldn't get my mojo back then so I had another bash, and it's well and truly stuck now! All straight out the box.

I'm not too sure on the colours - I used Tamiyas Nato Green for the light green, and dark green for the dark, and light blue for the under side. But they look alright to me so I'm happy [smile]

All new techniques to me, airbrushing, masking (and it actually working), decalling (using micro sol/set), weathering (both wash and oils).

I'm chuffed [smile]

30786934624_a0d4de9c2c_n.jpgJu87-1 by Jonathan Ruxton, on Flickr

30786933884_b0788d5dc9_n.jpgJu87-2 by Jonathan Ruxton, on Flickr

30786933184_136edc760d_n.jpgJu87-3 by Jonathan Ruxton, on Flickr

30786932404_80b92e5df7_n.jpgJu87-4 by Jonathan Ruxton, on Flickr

31256021690_4d4970eee4_n.jpgJu87-5 by Jonathan Ruxton, on Flickr

30786930574_91209c9cf4_n.jpgJu87-6 by Jonathan Ruxton, on Flickr

31256019440_13cd798073_n.jpgJu87-7 by Jonathan Ruxton, on Flickr

30786928664_fac0e7e0e9_n.jpgJu87-8 by Jonathan Ruxton, on Flickr

31256017610_6127e4a794_n.jpgJu87-9 by Jonathan Ruxton, on Flickr

30786926904_185a94a466_n.jpgJu87-10 by Jonathan Ruxton, on Flickr

Thanks for looking [smile] [thumb]

• Like 19

15 minutes ago, Newbie(kinda) said:

15 years? You should be well chuffed with that. Well done! I know why it's missing...but it really needs a swastika!

Agreed - its definately needed - it's been bugging me too!

Yes! A brilliant build of the old Airfix Stuka Jonathan, I did the Desert scheme a year or two back still builds well despite it's vintage

and those colours look fine to me I always mix my own from Tamiya base colour's.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 8:41 PM, Jonay said:

Thanks for the feedback :)

I wanted to do the desert scheme too - but I just really liked the look of the red against the green! :rolleyes:

With such a brilliant job on this scheme you really should do another in a desert scheme :goodjob:

That old kit still buffs up well, but treat yourself to some swatikas for it; you know you want to!  The new-tool 1/48th B-1 is due out soon and if it's as good as its 1/72th forebear it'll be a joy to build.

I've been discussing Luftwaffe colours with a couple of friends recently and the consensus is that they probably varied depending on who applied them, with what, which thinners was used and what they were applied with (brush, roller, spray, yard broom or whatever).  Your camera, monitor, software and browser will affect how the colours appear on screen (as will ours, the viewers) so a definitive comment on their accuracy is highly improbable.  Suffice to say they look pretty good from here.

On 14.12.2016 at 1:50 AM, Newbie(kinda) said:

15 years? You should be well chuffed with that. Well done! I know why it's missing...but it really needs a swastika!

Removing swastikas from model kits & pictures is something that I've always found a bit weird. Was looking at a few WW2 Finnish Air Force model kits recently, one had the swastikas replaced with crosses and the other one had just a blank circle where the insignia was supposed to be. I understand the nazis are still a sore issue and something no one wants to be associated with, but I just feel like airbrushing history isn't exactly removing evil from the world.. :fraidnot:

Anyway, brilliant job on the plane! I've just recently returned to the hobby myself and churned through a couple of cold wars bombers, and it just gets more fun with every model and every new thing you learn. Great to see people getting into modelling, I've thought of it as a dying art but I might still be proven wrong.