- SUKHOI Su 24 - 1/48 - TRUMPETER

IPMS19

Just now, IPMS19 said:

- Some progress before a possible break, I've heard about some very busy days in the next few days

002_zpsriiibezb.jpg

- The rear panel needs another few cleaing, the weathering is still too heavy....

• Like 2

There's a Trumpy Su-24 on it's way to me from China. I ordered a KZ nose set from Germany, judging by their photos it's old stock with the clear resin canopy parts (fingers crossed). I'll have to order the rest of the KZ resin sets from Russia.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, N5016R said:

There's a Trumpy Su-24 on it's way to me from China. I ordered a KZ nose set from Germany, judging by their photos it's old stock with the clear resin canopy parts (fingers crossed). I'll have to order the rest of the KZ resin sets from Russia.  

- I wish you are right  -  as I've been fouled by the photos I hope you wil be not

- As foreseable, the next step is the cockpit, and before beginning, I have to settle te nose wheel housing. from the kit as the wells door are closed on machines on the ground  I didn't bother with detailing

013_zpsnhdwvhuq.jpg

006_zpsscxaayst.jpg

007_zpsefb4lru3.jpg

The two forward bulkheads housing the refuelling probe from the kit are to be slightly trimmed too .then comes the Neomega cockpit by itself.its  underside of the floor is to be thinned to fit the top of the wheel well

003_zpsmeh4pfpw.jpg

005_zpslqbewxep.jpg

If you are not hamlisted you can use your dremel

• Like 1

- As foreseable, the next step is the cockpit, and before beginning, I have to settle te nose wheel housing. from the kit as the wells door are closed on machines on the ground  I didn't bother with detailing

010_zpsukej9cmq.jpg

007_zpsefb4lru3.jpg

The two forward bulkheads housing the refuelling probe from the kit are to be slightly trimmed too .then comes the Neomega cockpit by itself.its  underside of the floor is to be thinned to fit the top of the wheel well

003_zpsmeh4pfpw.jpg

005_zpslqbewxep.jpg

- Now comes the cockpit, the Neomega parts fits very well to the KZ set no needs of trimming or whatever else

009_zpscofa8nlf.jpg

008_zpsdmirujcv.jpg

012_zpsmyhvoe3f.jpg

014_zpsafvsq3e6.jpg

• Like 4

On 12/23/2016 at 12:41, IPMS19 said:

- Now comes the cockpit, the Neomega parts fits very well to the KZ set no needs of trimming or whatever else

the resin cockpit side are to be glued together, The joint is not topnotched but not worse as the ones wind find in some classic platic kit

- To keep some homogeneity with the surrounding material , I' ve used C.A glue and reisn dust coming from my previous filing and sanding of resin stuff

017_zpsezipfnqr.jpg

002_zpsfkrlycrf.jpg

003_zpsjqijreoq.jpg

The seats are here only for the show, they will be installed at a later stage. Then after a sanding party the seams are obtured. they still show owing to clear appearing resin but they are duly obtured

008_zpssn6blwq0.jpg

006_zps62ywrdtz.jpg

Edited by Greg B
duplicated pictures removed
  • Like 2

On ‎20‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 2:05 PM, IPMS19 said:

- I didn't still decide which windscreen I'll use, I have to trim the vac-form part and think about the better way to make a realistic  frame without damaging the clear parts

- About these parts, I had contacted Linden Hill Import by mail about  the former clear resin parts. their answer is that, had KZ keep on with these resin parts, the cost of the transkit could have risen to 40% more .

Hi there, IPMS19, sir (wish I knew whut yer name is ;)). Merry Christmas!

Well, that's an interestin' piece of info. I believe the KZ's whole meal is quite over the 85 quid now? Still dunno whether or nay the wheel set is necessary. :fraidnot:

The kit windshield looks to be too low in height compared to the KZ one?

Ya're doin' an excellent job.

Cheers,

Unc2

PS: Hi, Janne! :bye:  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Hi there, IPMS19, sir (wish I knew whut yer name is ;)). Merry Christmas!

Well, that's an interestin' piece of info. I believe the KZ's whole meal is quite over the 85 quid now? Still dunno whether or nay the wheel set is necessary. :fraidnot:

The kit windshield looks to be too low in height compared to the KZ one?

Ya're doin' an excellent job.

Cheers,

Unc2

PS: Hi, Janne! :bye:  

- Well, for my friends I'm J.M , I think replacement wheels are mandatory as the rubber like tires of the kits are not realistic and very difficult to paint at the required shade and weathering ,and worse, they will break after a few monthes. I experienced this with Trimaster Me 262 kits Merry Christmas and New Year fest

- After some experiments to be shown later on my post I will use the kit windscreen part as it is far better looking its main difference is its lenght  slIghtly greater than the KZ one which give it a shallower appearance their height are  the same as they both match the NeomegA separtation cockpit part.the first pics shown on my post was done as I wrote without trimming sdo its difference in height

16 minutes ago, IPMS19 said:

- Kittos Janne, as there is few other way to glue the instrument panel I do glued it in place after several fake positionning of the coaming, it needs just a  few  adaptation around the fixating pins of the coaming, either suppress them or enlarge their place on the fuselage part.I've used this solution but I've been a bit hand heavy so a few putty is required on my kit , but no drama about this .For Neomega cockpit, the parts are so precisely designed, if not truly reality like, that the painting is very easy.For the details I didn't use any brushes but tooth picks duly sharpened.

Merry Christmas and hapy new year

Hi guys,

Looking at this with high interest. Especially the windscreen discussions and comments.

I have one (1/48) SU-24 finished for 99%. The only part that is missing / wrong is the windscreen. I messed up the windscreen, when I used superglue to stick it to the cockpit. After painting and removing the mask, the whole winscreen was blurry and it looked crap. So the only option I had in the end (tried to find an exact replacement example) was to order the vac-formed part. I tried that, but as it was my first ever attempt to a vac-formed part, I also messed that one up.

So at the moment the Fencer is just standing looking very sad in a corner and not looking finished at all.

My question here is if anyone that is more experienced and is going to use the vac-formed windscreen, I would be able to buy the kit windscreen from them. I can then finally finish the SU-24.

Let me know if this is something you want to help me with. Either send me a message here, or directly mail me at; [email protected]

Thanks in advance!

Erik

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ebruijn said:

Hi guys,

Looking at this with high interest. Especially the windscreen discussions and comments.

I have one (1/48) SU-24 finished for 99%. The only part that is missing / wrong is the windscreen. I messed up the windscreen, when I used superglue to stick it to the cockpit. After painting and removing the mask, the whole winscreen was blurry and it looked crap. So the only option I had in the end (tried to find an exact replacement example) was to order the vac-formed part. I tried that, but as it was my first ever attempt to a vac-formed part, I also messed that one up.

So at the moment the Fencer is just standing looking very sad in a corner and not looking finished at all.

My question here is if anyone that is more experienced and is going to use the vac-formed windscreen, I would be able to buy the kit windscreen from them. I can then finally finish the SU-24.

Let me know if this is something you want to help me with. Either send me a message here, or directly mail me at; [email protected]

Thanks in advance!

Erik

- Hi Eric,

- As far as I'm concerned, I will not use the vac-formed K-Z windscreen as it does not match the shape of the real thing so I'll use the kit one, and I cannot help you in this way, but you can built your own vac-formed windscreen using the one of the kit as a master. It is not the place in this post to explain the modus-operandi but on the web you can find forums where this technique is explained. Or I you wish it I can contact you by M.P or some one of your relative may help you in this way .Good luck..  J.M

• Like 1

- Well, the next logical way is to take care of the nose cone, K-Z gives us  a large cone made of solid reisin ended by a big moulding pin.to fhe cockpit component it needs to be reduced, so I call my faithfull Dremel for a hand..

002_zpsuidufnvc.jpg

015_zpsbjlutnr5.jpg

- After several trial to verify the fitting of the the part I glued it .At this stage I knew there will be a problem......

013_zpss6mzbm0n.jpg

012_zpshrnlxlyi.jpg

011_zpskzn3haij.jpg

- It's a step on the underside of the nose and the joint is not the best Ihve already seen

- Sanding is at the menu of the day .  Again my Dremel ,then sanding paper and nail file for polishing

037_zpsikqzbpy7.jpg
038_zpskekvp429.jpg

039_zpsyl7vx42g.jpg

-The material of both part being resin, I use my usual compound C.A/resin dust as putty and again sanding and so....

006_zpslvw1rnys.jpg

002_zpstady6ejb.jpg

004_zpsvyydcr9v.jpg

• Like 3

This is all great info, thanks very much for posting the way the parts fit, it is most helpful in deciding whether or not to use the resin parts. :goodjob:

• Like 1

- Now the time has come to speak of windscreen. As I have invested some Euros on this transkit I didn't want to banned it only because it was vac-formed.So I try to use this part tohave the whole  K-Z transkit installed

016_zpsphhskq74.jpg

- The clear acetate foil used is very strong and difficult to cut with scissors or cutter blade and the frame on my exemplary are softly moulded and difficult to exactly follow them

030_zps1hkp17o1.jpg

036_zpsnf8ozwts.jpg

- So after masking upper and under side of the part  I paint with brush  a layer of Mr Surfacer 1200 to give some thickness to the frame. After the usual driyng period during Christmas festivities  the masking tapes are removed.

002_zpsrudl432i.jpg

001_zpsh1rvr9p3.jpg

- The frames are too broad , but once trimmed the height of either windscreen is roughly the same. So I've chosen to install the kit windscreen; which wil be shown in next post ; Let you make your mind about this.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, N5016R said:

Great work so far. I received the KZ set today, aaaaand it came with a vac formed canopy... I have no idea how I'll work with that. Vacuform canopies give me nightmares.

- Well, you have to ways, either you discard the vac form and use the kit canopy or you can use the petals of the vac form on the corresponding resin part which are better than their plastic counter part.

- Cut the windscreen away , then separate the petals using the recessed line on thje top  as reference, cut them to shape to conform with the outside of the resin part and glued each of them over  using C.A glue. A tooth pick passed along the edges of the clear part gives good result.to give the whole some strength on the solid part a little more can be used but not very much to avoid the fumes blurring the clear to be remained part.This can be avoided by masking the clear part before all these operations. it is much more easy than it looks. The only thing you 'll have then to do is some riveting job on both petals....

• Like 2

- Now the end of the windscreen saga........

001_zpspzlxory9.jpg

003_zpswtlmdapm.jpg

-A visible on  real thing pictures anti flash curtain partly unfolded  is installed

002_zpseelmuzyn.jpg

- As an head up display borrowed from the spare box

005_zpsefpeqyp8.jpg

009_zpskbz1efsz.jpg

- Except a too shallow shape the fitting and the result of adapting the kit winscreen to the K-Z set is rather strait forward and not bad

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, exdraken said:

nice!

any profile shots in order to understand what is "too shallow" please?

superb work , hurdles mastered... :)

006_zpsvjv2yzcx.jpg

008_zpskcfjag7p.jpg

The original looks more steeply,to me ( unless it is something  in my mind)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, exdraken said:

thanks!

looks high enough to go ever the center-frame... puh!!

- Yes but it seems the base is a bit too long, that 's why  at first I wished use the vac-formed K-Z part had its frames been better moulded

Such a noooiiiceee work there, J.M. (Jean-Marie, perhaps? ;)).

So, the Komplekt Zip resin forward fuselage to radome joint is a feisty one, huh? :hmmm:Still haven't got hold of 'em KZ resin bits 'n' me's scared already!

Yeh, the kit windshield looks way better than the vac-form one, too.

Still, the KZ bits are necessary for the Trumpy Fencer, methinks.

Cheers, J.M.

Unc2

P.S: Where's my mate Janne?

• Like 2