1/350 HMS Zinnia

Murdo

On ‎23‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 9:00 PM, Murdo said:

Thanks 73north, I've managed to get a copy of it. I've only read a few pages so far but it looks like it's going to be a fascinating read.

I'm planning on scratchbuilding a couple of naval trawlers because they just seem such incredible wee ships (boats?) and their contribution was amazing.

another REALLY good ( and cheap to buy book ) is Night of the U-Boats by same authors ( New English Library -  May 1974 ) about Convoy Sc-7 in October 1940

and where the Trawlers fought to save the convoy , I have never read a better book that explains to peace-time land-lubber what the hard and harsh conditions endured on those ships really were like  

• 2 weeks later...

HI Murdo

I haven't been around for a while and tied up with a load of work.  Remember you saying you had this in the stash and was going to gove it a buld.  looks like you are nailing it.  Well impressed with the rigging and stays on the funnel. 

Great tip on mounting the boats on the davits after tying on the cables.  Going to give that one a go, thanks.

Impressed,

Cheers

Guy

Work has been murder so I haven't been able to progress much.

I'm planning to out it in a case with a sea. Put some plastic foam together and cut round the hull but the hole is too big. I'll sort that when I get a moment.

20170201_093855_zpsrncgj23c.jpg

20170201_093922_zps3f4devyn.jpg

The biggest problem is that as soon as I put it in the hole I realised that the waterline is wrong, i.e. it's not level (with the foam) so I'll have to mask it correctly by raising the centre of the waterline by a couple of mil and respray it.       :wall:     

You can maybe make out the levelling pencil line on the hull.

20170201_093922%20-%20Copy_zpsonv0bgpm.j

Sooooo... Needs quite a bit of work doing on it yet.

• Like 4

You may not need to adjust the waterline if you give the sea scape of your base a swell. It depends on how confident you are with making the sea but it would help and deal with the gap too. 

Good work though. I like it. :thumbsup:

• 2 years later...

I can't believe it's over two years since I last did anything with this model.

a) The Photobucket fiasco scunnered me a bit and it took me a while to get used to Imgur

b) I kept putting off making the seascape.

Next think I know, my two sisters are over visiting from NZ and the one that gave me the model to build asked if it was ready. Her hubby's Grandad Joe ( whom I met a couple of times before he died about 5 years ago) had served on the Zinnia and survived when she was torpedoed off Portugal.

Pulled Zinnia from the Shelf Of Shame and cracked on with her. She's basically been in this condition for a couple of years:

VOCgKBd.jpg

With her Shelfmates  Shipmates, Jura and SS Anonymous

yYl4G6Q.jpg

Added the rest of the raillings and all the other assorted bits 'n bobs, rusted her up a bit (She'd spent a hard few months on the Atlantic convoys) then made the sea by painting the base with Tamiya Blue and Royal Blue and slathering it with translucent bathroom sealant praying it would dry in time.     

pDrYqQj.jpg

She maybe does look a wee bit too rusty when magnified this much but in looking at in with the naked eye and in proper scale I think it really doesn't look too bad. The sea seems to have worked out all right too.

9mQMrbl.jpg

The figgies look horrible when magnified but again, in proper scale and with the display case keeping you at a distance they don't look too bad. (Joe is waving from the Bridge).

White Ensign is a decal fixed to tin foil and CA'd to the flag staff.

oMxXUOD.jpg

AFrTDUm.jpg

A small "In Memory" "Plaque" to Joe, with the Ship's Crest / Badge on the right (run up with the fancy lettering in MS Word) was added and she was glued in as tightly and securely as humanly possible and sealed in her display case for transportation in Sis's luggage to Nelson, New Zealand.

B1S4N7x.jpg

osE6ZOC.jpg

ZXJSAYb.jpg

AVYPrxx.jpg

They left last night and I won't hear from them till tomorrow night so hopefully HMS Zinnia (and them of course!) made it there safely!

Hope you like our tribute to Joe and HMS Zinnia.

• Like 11

Gidday Murdo, very well done. I've found also that close-up photos are not always kind to models but when viewed from a proper distance the model looks much better. She's a beauty you've done, and as a tribute I think you can be very proud of her. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys!

Your input and encouragement are always appreciated!

On 9/25/2019 at 9:38 PM, 73north said:

lovely model - superb seascape - well done !

did you ever get round to getting a copy of Night of the U-Boats by New English Library about Convoy Sc-7 in October 1940 ??

Hi 73North, I'm sorry, I'm afraid I didn't.    😳

WW2 isn't really of major interest, it's more the timeline / background of whatever I'm building. Work takes up most of each day (and part of my weekends)  and by the time I finally finished the book on the Armed Trawlers, I was by then deep in a few 1/72 and 1/144 fighter aircraft. I then started the SS Anonymous and the Jura. I'm currently reading the biography of the Jura's captain - he gave me a signed copy!      :thumbsup: 

• Like 2

Never seen a seascape done with bathroom sealant before but it works extremely well :clap2:.  I don't think the weathering is overdone at all.  just look at more recent photos of the Task Force when it returned from the Falklands in 82.  they were covered in rust and had only been away 3 months.  Some of these ships on the Atlantic and Arctic convoys wouldn't have seen paint form 9-12 months between time in dockyard hands.

• Thanks 1