Alfa Romeo Coupe Elegant 1/8

Pouln

I learned not to experiment on parts like the louvers with finishes. The reason is they are impossible to sand to correct. Get your finish material steps down pat on test spoons (or small models) then apply results to model parts.

And although you will get all the texture out with using all the grits, only perfect clear over will restore color vibrancy lost in the sanding process. I think if you cut the clear 50% with leveling thinner it will lay down in a nice wet-looking, non-textured clear.

Testing first is the key.

• Like 1

It's looking really good but TBH, I find good old car rattle-cans take some beating if you're careful.
Some years ago I built the 1/8 Heller Citroen Traction.
The build is here in the past, but if you look at the page here, 2/3 of the way down, you'll see my body in a similar colour scheme to your Alfa.

All done with rattle cans and no sanding etc afterwards...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Codger said:

I learned not to experiment on parts like the louvers with finishes. The reason is they are impossible to sand to correct. Get your finish material steps down pat on test spoons (or small models) then apply results to model parts.

And although you will get all the texture out with using all the grits, only perfect clear over will restore color vibrancy lost in the sanding process. I think if you cut the clear 50% with leveling thinner it will lay down in a nice wet-looking, non-textured clear.

Testing first is the key.

Thanks, Chas. Actually I didn’t experiment on the real parts (at least it doesn’t feel like it) except for the first horrible radiator shroud. 
Like I said, in the second attempt I tested on a flat PS sheet and that came out alright. That’s when I decided to follow up with the real parts.

Anyway, I’m quite certain I will get this to an acceptable level.🥴

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roymattblack said:

It's looking really good but TBH, I find good old car rattle-cans take some beating if you're careful.
Some years ago I built the 1/8 Heller Citroen Traction.
The build is here in the past, but if you look at the page here, 2/3 of the way down, you'll see my body in a similar colour scheme to your Alfa.

All done with rattle cans and no sanding etc afterwards...

Thanks Roy. Good to see you here. Long time no see.

I remember your TA build quite well and I also know that you wrote on your builds that you use rattle cans. I am not confident that I’m able to lay down a half acceptable layer of paint using cans., so I guess I will stick to the airbrush.

I guess I need more practice, but I will get there.

You do get fantastic results with the rattle cans.

Btw, are you still building models? anything interesting on the table?

I saw on ebay that you are selling aftermarket add-ons for e-type builders

I've done some polishing. Result shows that the surface is quite nice.

I also added the chrome strip on the edge of the upper hood panels, for which I used molotow.

There's a bit of dust on the door in the last pic. It's not in the paint.🤨

I still think that the overall result can be better, so I might put another gloss layer on (after I'm confident that I can get it such that I do not need to sand and polish).

sIMG_8320.jpg 

sIMG_8322.jpg 

sIMG_8323.jpg 

sIMG_8324.jpg 

I will continu for some time to get a result that I'm really happy with.

That's it for now. 

Thanks for watching.

• Like 4

Only add more clear if the colors have become muted - but don't polish the final clear. That will make the colors more vibrant. You have the paint beautifully flat-meaning no texture- which is vital for reflective gloss. Great work so far.

• Like 1

Hi Chas, thanks. That is indeed what I’m aiming for. But that final glosscoat will only come when I’m able to lay it down such that I do not have to polish it.

So I will be working on test sheet material until I feel confident enough. 
I agree with you that there is a big difference between “untouched” clear an polished clear.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2020 at 2:36 PM, rjfk2002 said:

The finish on the parts in post 205 looks quite nice.  Did you get from the earlier result (post 200) to here by just Wet sanding and working through the polishing clothes?

Rich

Hi Rich,

Yes, indeed. No new layers of varnish. This AK 2K varnish can take a lot. However, if you look closely you can see that the surface is really flat, but somewhat “muted”. So I decided an extra layer of varnish was needed.

I have been exercising a bit and got the results I was looking for. 
After that I sprayed one of the bonnet tops, with this result: 

sIMG_8345.jpg

sIMG_8346.jpg

I’m quite happy with this. It is not perfect but it works for me. The rest of the panels will be done in a little while.

• Like 5

Thanks guys.

1 hour ago, Roy vd M. said:

Not sure where that is not perfect..!

Ah, you may not be able to see it, but there is a very small speck and an ever so slight rimple on the surface.

36 minutes ago, CrazyCrank said:

Mirror polish :)

Mirror; yes. Actually no polish at all. This is the result of just spraying. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pouln said:

Thanks guys.

Ah, you may not be able to see it, but there is a very small speck and an ever so slight rimple on the surface.

Mirror; yes. Actually no polish at all. This is the result of just spraying. 

2K clear mirror finish ?

1 minute ago, CrazyCrank said:

2K clear mirror finish ?

Yes, indeed. Varnish to harder to thinner: 3:1:4

That gave this result.

13 minutes ago, kpnuts said:

Superb result.

Thanks, Ken. Well, it’s just one part of the body. A lot to follow.

13 hours ago, Roy vd M. said:

Not sure where that is not perfect..!

Exactly what I was thinking! 

I'll never get it this "not perfect" in my life!

Looks great Poul! I agree with Chas about the louvres and being very careful with the side panels. This was the one part that gave me a lot of problems with sanding and finishing. Every other body panel was easy in comparison. Trying to get the flat area in between the raised section of the louvres required a lot of extra work. 

Thanks, Wayne. I agree and I am not taking any chances with the louvres. Those panels will only be done when I feel really, really confident that it will work.

If it doesn’t the only solution is to remove all paint and start all over.

• 4 weeks later...

Been a while, but I have not been sitting still.

Just endless hours of getting the finish I wanted. 

Well, all panels done except the main body. That will have to wait until I readied all the appendages that attach to it.

Here is what I have now.

sIMG_8637.jpg

sIMG_8645.jpg

sIMG_8646.jpg

Bonnet tops with molotow chrome on the sides.
sIMG_8647.jpg

• Like 5

Hmm somehow the site does not allow me to add more pictures in the previous post.

Here is the remainder.

The headlights and their mounting

sIMG_8648.jpg

The louvres worked out pretty nice.
sIMG_8649.jpg

and the radiator shroud, with molotow chrome added

sIMG_8650.jpg

In all it worked out ok. Some more polishing needed on the doors but that’s about it.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Codger said:

Time well spent (but tedious!) for a museum finish.

Thanks, Chas.

Well, I don’t think it qualifies as museum quality, but like I said, it is not too bad