SMER 1/72 Curtiss SC-1 Seahawk

StephenCJ

Yesterday I did some portraits of a friend and his family.  He had a woman living with him who had 2 young children and 2 Bull Arab dogs.  She had barely enough money to feed her kids let alone 2 grown big dogs.  She left and left the dogs behind,  my friend is not overly rich and has 3 kids, a wife and 2 dogs of his own.  I am a little distressed over the state of the dogs.

I am starting this kit to get my mind off the dogs.

This is a female 1yr old, notice the wound on her leg.

_DSC1586-1.jpg

2 yr old male

_DSC1584-1.jpg

The Wife and I are thinking of joining ARRG (Animal Rights and Rescue Group) to help these poor animals.  

We have a Bull Arab called 'Billy'.  Billy is another ARRG dog we have had for 2 months.  He is not spoilt , much,  we took him to Pet Barn to choose some toys new on Saturday.

He is scared of being in the car. We are trying to show him good things happen when you get in the car.

Billy

DSC_0020-1.jpg

I am starting this kit to get my mind off the dogs. I have already said that ---- not working.

Box art

_DSC1537-1.jpg

_DSC1539-1.jpg

_DSC1540-1.jpg

_DSC1542-1.jpg

_DSC1541-1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Stephen

• Like 7

Hope you can do something for the dogs, no animal deserves to be treated like this & these ones look well over due for some TLC. Good luck.

Re the Seahawk kit, I bought one recently & was impressed with what was in the box, a quirky & different subject & for me, a contender for the Seaplanes GB next year so I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do with your one.

Steve.

• Like 2

Time for an update..

Not much for the kit.  I have started on the engine and sanded a few parts filled sink holes in the back of the prop.  I will post some pics soon.

The dogs on the other hand.   The male has gone to the pound.  I felt so sorry for him,  he is locked in a cage but has a bed fresh water and food.  There are 4 gorgeous dogs at the pound.. The pound people said they will all get homes.

The female has to go to the pound on Monday.  I don't know for how long, but we should get to keep her.  We spent $200 at the vets today on her leg, pills and a injection.  She has had a bath, some pigs ears and other treats, and some sausages left over from our dinner.  Butchers sausages, NOT woolies or coles crap.  She likes ice cream.  Yes I know it is not good for them.

Billy is tickled pink with her, someone to play with.  The cats are also happy as Billy hasn't chased them.  

Stephen

• Like 5

Interesting model as I have been looking SMER stuff on eBay but was unsure of quality, however I will pull up a pew for the dogs as much as the build, as an absolute softy with all animals with dogs being top I can't abide mistreatment and you efforts are uplifting, keep up the good work with both canine and model I will be more than happy to see both come to a happy conclusion. 

Thank you for the updates on the dogs, it seems like a good ending in store for all! We've rescued two dogs ourselves:

WP_20130928_004.jpg

Winnie, the black one, is half Labrador Retriever and half Pit Bull Terrier, and Sally, the white one, is half Samoyed and half Golden Retriever. Sally was new to us when I took that photo, Winnie had already been with us for a couple of years. Both hit the lottery, I think. Winnie is now 11 years old and her muzzle is almost white. She's showing signs of doggie dementia but since she was insane when we got her it hasn't been too much trouble. Her biggest vice is licking you to death, especially my grandkids who she thinks are her puppies. Sally is very calm and relaxed as long as she gets her run in every day. She can pretty much keep up with my son's Greyhound, so she's a fast one! We think she's maybe 3 or 4 years old now. 

Now, about that SC. I can't tell from your photos, but does the kit have recessed panel lines? I never know what to expect with SMER - sometimes old Heller kits, sometimes their own tooling (I think) and sometimes just misshapen plastic. The parts look nice in your pix, and I've always thought the SC was an interesting plane. You don't see or hear much about them, even though Curtiss built almost 600. I don't think there are any left either.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing the pics of your dogs.  They look great, Bill.  Healthy and well fed.  I haven't taken Billy for a walk for 3 days.  He gets more exercise playing with Mandy than I can give in a 10km walk.

The Seahawk has recessed panel lines and plenty of flash.  I have cleaned the flash off the fuselage and the floats and they look like they will go together without any filler.  There are sink holes in the propeller, which weren't a problem to fill.

Stephen

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Finally updates.

The dogs first.  Mandy is settling in, the wound on her leg is healing.  She is piddeling and pooping in the house, chewing shoes (got the wife's work shoes Thursday night, we will say no more on that subject).  Yesterday I am sure she was smiling, she was laying on her back big floppy ears spread out on the floor with a big smile on her face.  She also played with a toy for the first time.  She is coming along really well for a dog who has been chained up for nearly 100% of her life.  Oh I nearly forgot the backyard looks like the Somme.

Now the Seahawk.

I have joined the fuselage halves and added the tail and was very tempted to add the wings 1/2 hour before going to "Fools Paradise" (work).  I have done things like this before and it has ended in tears.  This is a very nice kit, I haven't used much filler yet but the wing to fuselage might require some plus.

Engine - basic detail not much will ,be seen when the prop is on.

DSC_0479-1.jpg

Engine in the cowling, the engine fits inside the cowling with a little sanding on the firewall.

DSC_0481-1.jpg

Fuselage halves.

_MG_3245-1.jpg

_MG_3246-1.jpg

Fuselage joined but only held together by the cowling another tight fit.  There is fuselage detail to speak of only a stick, IP and a seat, I have added the sprue side panels.

DSC_0486-1.jpg

The main float.

_MG_3247-1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Stephen

Edited by StephenCJ
  • Like 4

That is looking nicely promising. From my point of view, that cockpit with a decent seat & some masking tape setbelts will do the job under a closed canopy & not far off it under an open one, I'm forgetting just what this kit came with, but I'm thinking closed.

Steve.

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to add some photos of my progress here BUT photobucket won't let me copy the image links.  I get a four leaf clover thingy and the words Adobe flash player where the link is.  Does anyone know what is going on?

Thanks for any help.

Stephen

3 hours ago, caseyjones said:

I would like to add some photos of my progress here BUT photobucket won't let me copy the image links.  I get a four leaf clover thingy and the words Adobe flash player where the link is.  Does anyone know what is going on?

Thanks for any help.

Stephen

Photobucket is pants as many people on this site will confirm. I changed to Postimage and have never had any issues to date.

Martian

• 3 weeks later...

I just caught up with this Stephen. 

What a state of affairs with the dogs :(. I'm glad to hear Mandy is settling in.

I've had a Labrador, Sheltie and German Shepherd. All very good friends to me, although the Sheltie was bonkers. He ended up getting run over by a double decker bus :(; he used to try and round the bus up (like a herd of sheep) at the terminus (I lived by the terminus, way out in the Derbyshire countryside, at a pub/hotel, as a child in the 70's).

That was a sad demise.

The Labrador had the best temperament. A good listener and companion :).

I hope you can keep Mandy.

This kit is one I've often seen, but never seen built. Recessed panel lines and good fit?!!! It looks a cracker. Smer really are a puzzling and interesting company. They recently released the old KP Aero/Bloch MB-100. Must buy one...

Great work, it's looking excellent, very different!

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 1

Tony, we still have Mandy.  She is a lot of work.  Billy loves her, Husband and wife like........  Mandy gets over our 5' fence, the beggar, and goes on "adventures".  The following pics will show she has settled in.

Billy - it was cool that day

DSC2092_1.jpg

Mandy

DSC2095_1.jpg

Stephen

• Like 2