Bare Metal Foil for masks. Help needed.

Rick Brown

Chaps.

Anyone point me in the right direction for using BMF as canopy masks?

After cursing Tamiya tape on the last few builds for leaving glue residue behind, I've decided to order some BMF to try instead.

After googling about it turns out BMF has the same issue!

I've heard putting the model in the fridge before removal helps, but not sure where I found that article.

Any suggestions on is use?

Rick.

Personally, I’d stick with the Tamiya tape. I tried the BMF, burnished with a cocktail stick, fresh curved scalpel blade. Lovely jubbly. Then as you found out the residue left over was terrible. Much cursing and even the use of WD40!

I do find it puzzling that you get residue from Tamiya tape? I’ve left tape on a kits canopy for literally years, and had it come off no problem.

Mart

• Like 1

Interesting Mart.

The last three builds I've used Tamiya tape and the residue left behind took longer to remove than painting the frames by hand!

I thought it may have been because I put the tape on over Klear, but the last two canopies weren't Kleared at all. 

I've used a mix of four rolls of tape, but can't tell if it's just the one roll that may have gone orf a bit.

I'll try it again, this canopy is a little bit easier to clean off if it goes belly up.

Rick.

I have tried using BMF for masking canopies but have now abandoned it and reverted back to Tamiya tape. I didn't like the glue residue it left and found it to be a pain to remove generally. The only time I have had a glue residue with Tamiya tape was when the tape was left on the model for nearly a year.

• Like 1

Morning Nige, long time no speak!

Yeh, I did that to a model once and ended up throwing the model in the test paint pile.

You need to de-tac the tape first then remove the mask fairly quickly after painting.

I thought I'd try the BMF as the screen of the Spitfire MKXIVe has a fiddly bit just front of the mirror that'll be interesting to do in tape.

I've also heard good things about it as a mask. However, now I've ordered some I can only see bad things written about it!

Lol.

Still learning after all these years.

Rick.

1 hour ago, Rick Brown said:

However, now I've ordered some I can only see bad things written about it!

Keep the BMF, as it’s outstanding in its original role for NMF or for replicating mirrors and whatnot.

I also Klear canopies as my standard operating procedure, and don’t even bother to de-tack Tamiya tape. And I’d doubt it’s due to the age of the tape as I’m using stuff that’s over seven years old.

As you said, perhaps one of your rolls is a bit dodgy?:hmmm:

Mart

• Like 1

I use BMF as canopy masks and find that it is the only thing that really gives a sharp edge. The residue is easy to remove with a cotton bud dipped in plastic polish which obviously gives the added benefit of leaving the clear plastic very shiny. In fact I now don't bother dipping my clear canopy parts in Kleer anymore as I know I'm going to polish it anyway.

Duncan B

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rick Brown said:

Chaps.

Anyone point me in the right direction for using BMF as canopy masks?

After cursing Tamiya tape on the last few builds for leaving glue residue behind, I've decided to order some BMF to try instead.

After googling about it turns out BMF has the same issue!

I've heard putting the model in the fridge before removal helps, but not sure where I found that article.

Any suggestions on is use?

Rick.

here we go Rick, we have a member on this site, Paul Budzik, who puts many informative videos on you tube..........one of them is bare metal foil canopies............hope it helps

• Like 1

Hiya Rick :bye:

The residue that BMF leaves behind is actually normal. Its not because you have a bum batch or anything.

BMF is designed to stick like billy o for natural metal finishes or chrome bit replacements on cars etc.

I've been using it for years on cars and have found that you can just use soapy water and a cotton bud to get it off, with a little elbow grease.

I use it mainly for windscreen surrounds and chrome bits on cars, and if it comes to where I have to do the chrome surrounds on a windscreen, with the window in place, I only really burnish the areas that i'm looking to stick and not the windscreen itself. I have found, the more you burnish it down, the more residue it leaves. 

Hope this helps, (even if its only a leeeetle bit)

:ninja:Mad Steve:ninja:

• Like 2

I dunno Rick, only you could get Tamiya tape to leave a residue :rolleyes:  What're you doing?  Burnishing it down with a blow-torch? :lol:  I've had tape on a canopy for 2 years before now and there wasn't a hint of residue when I took it off :shrug:

• Like 1