Trouble with Stynylrez?

LotusArenco

Am I the only idiot on the planet having trouble with Stynylrez?

Goes on no problem, lovely stuff, but I still get some paint lifting down to bare plastic when removing masking.

I do all the usual prep, cleaning the plastic to within an inch of its life, shaking the bejesus out of the bottle and all that. I thought it was just the slightly oily/soft nature of Airfix plastic, but I’ve noticed it on an old Esci Harrier I’m in the middle of.

:(

Mart

Does seems strange that...

Any sudden changes of temperature? 

Eg spraying in a shed then bringing it inside - result being getting condensation under the paint or similar? Although being water based perhaps that shouldnt be a problem?  

1 hour ago, Tony Oliver said:

Any sudden changes of temperature?

Nope, constant room temperature. I’m lucky to have me own man cave in the house.

Only thing I can think of is that I’m not putting enough on in the initial pass. I’ll persevere with it, but keep a tin of Tamiya surface primer to hand.

Cheers anyway.:)

Mart

Have you perhaps tried roughening the surface with a very fine sanding sponge?  I've squirted the stuff on totally unprepared plastic before now with no problems, so unless there's something coming out of the plastic under the primer, it makes me wonder if you mixed it fully.  Perhaps try again after some more prep and a high-powered shaking session?

1 hour ago, Mike said:

tried roughening the surface with a very fine sanding sponge?

Ah! we may have a winner.

The bottles were shaken to almost Biblical levels before use, I'm surprised local news channels didn't report the earth tremors.:blink: 

Mart

:lol: it's possible... just possible that you have the surface too smooth.  I wouldn't bet your house on it, but it's definitely worth a try on a patch.  I had this same peeling problem with Vallejo Primer once, and roughing up the surface helped, but it still lifted a bit, and if you tried to sand it, forget it.  That's why I like Stylinrez/Ultimate Primers.  They're acrylic, but you CAN sand them after.

Also, don't mask up too soon.  Leave the primer to cure up overnight or something - preferably somewhere that doesn't get too cold or damp.

I wasn't familiar with the product so I did a Google search. Looks like some kind of hobby primer? I've never had much success with this type of paint. It never seems to adhere very well, although sanding the surface does help. I tend to use Halfords for general bits and bobs work and Tamiya fine for body parts and stuff where I want the best finish possible. I've never had any problems with tape lifting off the primer to bare plastic with either of these two products.

19 minutes ago, Steve Noble said:

I tend to use Halfords for general bits and bobs work and Tamiya fine for body parts

Same here. Tamiya and good old Halfords have also been my go to primers, but they are stinky solvent based. That usually has me out in the garden or in the shed to spray.

Stynylrez ticked all the boxes regarding smell and finish, being an acrylic of some sort that actually does stick! Check out some of the Youtube videos, it’s touted as being idiot proof, this is why I was a bit puzzled as to why I was so cack handed at using it.

I’m on the last knockings of a 1/72 Harrier, so I’ll give it another go over a slightly rougher finish.

Mart

IT WORKS! Mwahahaha…..

Ahem…:blush:

Yup, giving the plastic a bit of a tickle with a sanding sponge and a bit of worn old grey Scotchbrite, did the trick.

I’ve gone over it to test, with a few pieces of Tamiya and Kamoi/washi tape, and only the smallest bit came off one of the fuel tanks.

WP_20161217_17_32_20_Pro.jpg

WP_20161217_17_33_20_Pro.jpg

I got a bit artyfarty and chucked some grey Stynylrez in with the black half way through to try out a bit of primer based preshade/tonal malarkey.

I’ll do a quick de-nib with more worn out scotchbrite before throwing the topcoat at it.

Many thanks:D

Mart

• Like 2