Moebius Models 1:6 "Original TV Series" Batman

BrianI

Fancying a break from vehicle modelling, and trying to find my modelling mojo again, I purchased a Moebius Models 1:6 "Original TV Series" Batman while in my not quite so local model shop stocking up on some "paints and glues"   :shhh:

31520184836_b38eb420f8_c.jpg

Not many sprues!

31185891720_93b12689ee_c.jpg

Main parts glued together:

31185891380_924d304957_c.jpg

Some filler on:
31520184736_f648b21852_c.jpg

Dry fitted together. Quite a remarkable likeness to Adam West!

31185891510_2c5c9a865b_c.jpg

Now, should I glue the arms / legs to the torso, before priming and painting so I can avoid any seams?  I might add that I'm going to be attempting this as a brush painting build, as I've been having a nightmare airbrushing.  I have stocked up on brush friendly paints (revel aqua color and vallejo model colour)

Should be a fun build, in a trying to avoid eye contact with Adam West's pants bulge kind of way....   :oops::lol:

• Like 7

Nice choice Brian.  There are are one or two other figures in the series.  Catwoman is worth a go as well, and I think they've got the Penguin out now as well. :)

BillyD

• 2 weeks later...

Hairy sticked some paint on Batmans face and hood/mask. I could have airbrushed this kit using tamiya colours, but I fancied working on my brush painting  skills for this build.

After much hassles with the adhesion of brush painted vallejo model colour, I settled on revel aquacolour / citadel both thinned with water/flow improver mix.

Hood/mask brush painted Revel Aqua color matt Blue 56. Perhaps too blue comparing it to footage from the 1960s series?  Looks good though.  it might darken down once I brush another layer of paint on. 

Face has got a couple of layers of Citadel cadian fleshtone. Perhaps one more, then i'll do a wash with darker paints to pick out the facial features, then paint the eyes / lips etc.  Looks remarkably like Adam West!

31456246410_fc6da3053e_z.jpg

:D

• Like 3

Wonderful paints, Revel Aquacolor.

Brushed some of the Revel matt blue on Batmans gloves, boots, pants, and his cape.  I think his cape will need a few coats, as it's quite a large area to brush paint.  But I'm certainly finding using ye olde worlde hairy sticks quite relaxing, even more so since I've finally stopped battling with tamiya acrylics. I'm sure my DIY wet palette is helping as well.

Anyway, hopefully I will  get this build finished before the end of the year!

31888680935_274c9ca45d_c.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Slow progress, as I've been trying to get a head round painting realistic faces.  Here is what I have come up with so far.  I tried painting darker flesh tone in the shadow areas, then a couple of thinner lighter flesh tones over the top to give a bit of depth. But it looks like the light flesh tone has just washed out the shading...

And Batman's lips look like they are wearing Fushia Pink lipstick....

31979829462_ec7c022871_z.jpg

:wub:

• Like 1

I did a couple of  thin glaze1 coats of flesh mixed with grey for a 5 o'clock shadow, and thin glaze like coats of flesh mixed with white for the cheeks / nose / chin. Perhaps the face looks too grubby now?

Not too happy with the eyes though, I've since taken them back to primed plastic ready for repainting, this time using a light grey, rather than pure white. 

32123873146_8c26b5b0ff_c.jpg

I'll digest this video first though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIzxQP2XxlY

1 Citadel cadian fleshtone, with a smidge of revell anthracite mixed in, and thinned until it become grey coloured water.. Probably not a true glaze in the Games Workshop / Citadel Paints sense...  Seems to work, although thinning the paint with matte medium may be better?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still having issues painting Batman's face.  My third attempt ended up grubby, much like above.  So it's be stripped again.

Now do I invest in a Vallejo face tones painting set? Bearing in mind my earlier issues with vallejo paint adhesion....

• 8 months later...

Hmm, sad to say after all these months, still slow / no progress on this build. I'm having a nightmare of a time with painting Batman's head.

The vallejo face tones painting set I'm having major issues with, they either dry nicely, but peel off, or dry all gritty.

Tamiya flat flesh a nightmare to brush paint with as a base coat, either too runny, or make it a bit thicker, and the previous layer of tamiya flat flesh curdles and starts to lift off.

I'm really at a loss as to how to progress this build now.  Too expensive a kit to end up in the bin! I'd certainly be welcoming of suggestions on how other people do faces on figures.

Regards,

Brian.

Pretty much a duffer at this, but I always liked the show. So with that caveat, here is a bit of advice.

Don't use flesh for a base color. Use a spray white, matte or primer (rattle-can will do fine).

Paint dark areas first, using some flesh-tone darkened with a mauve or violet or a rust brown. Use very thinned paints, and let things accumulate in the deeper recesses.

Then paint with a basic flesh color, again very thinned. The first pass should be over the whole area, but then go over a time or two avoiding the recesses.

Then paint highlights with your basic flesh color lightened with white or a pale yellow.

Then give the whole thing a couple of wash-coats with a basic flesh color, perhaps a bit more orange or buff than the straight flesh tone you have used.

You may find you want to repeat this a time or two, the dark, basic, highlight, overall wash routine. Keep the coats thin.

I believe the Vallejo paints will be tougher if you add a bit of Future (Clear) to them. This will require a subsequent matte coat, of course.

The original TV Batman would never have five o'clock shadow....

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Slow progress on this build, but some results at last.

I had tried painting the face using the vallejo model colour face painting set.  Here is my initial attempt, which looks rather too red:

26769557339_14baee1026_z.jpg

Rather than strip the whole face and start again, I thought I'd have a bash with some oil paints.

I mixed a dark shade colour by mixing Burnt Umber with Burnt Sienna. Mixed it onto a bit of paper to let the excess oils leach out (I hadn't have bothered, as the oil paints were a bit dry inside!). I then applied small dots of the shade in the face creases using a brush moistened in low odour thinners, let it dry for a few minutes, then smoothed it over with a mark 1 finger. I did the same with Titanium White. Moistened the brush with some thinners, applied some spots of white where I thought the face needed it, i.e on the chin and jaw line.

I let it sit for a few minutes, then smoothed it over with a mark one finger! 1f642.png

A bit too much contrast, so I mixed up a skin tone using Burnt Umber, Yellow Ochre, Scarlet and White. No idea of the exact mix, I just added a bit of each till it looked like a skin colour. Using the edge of a dry brush, I then dry brushed this over the face, letting it sit for a few minutes, then smoothing it over with my finger. This seemed to tie the shadows in with the highlights.

Probably totally the wrong way to do things, but this was my first time using oil paints.. I've added some photos. From left to right, the face painted with the vallejo model colour face painting set (Acrylics). Middle picture, the face after applying the oil paints. Right picture how the face looks with the face mask in place. Certainly much more lifelike!

I would imagine that the sheen from the oil paints should disappear once the oil paint dries. I'm unsure how long this will take though, as I've never used oil paints before. A few hours? 24 hours? a week?

Also, is it worth while applying a matte coat over the oils, or are the oil paints likely to adhere OK to the underlying acrylic base coat?

I certainly think it was easier to get a nicely blended / shaded face using oils, rather than acrylics.

And here is the face after messing about with the oils. I'm  not entirely happy with the lower eyelid / cheek / nose area, however that is cunningly hidden under Batmans' mask, so won't be seen...

38489072116_3a477a7efa_z.jpg

A bit better I think!!

26769557409_6b8cb09c60_z.jpg

Is a matt coat required over oil paints to improve their adhesion over the acrylic base coat?

• Like 3

The face is looking really nice :) I'm not a huge fan of the original series Batman, although I loved Adam West's terrible (over) acting... Apologies to any purists that offends :unsure:

Adam West's and Burt Ward's acting was what it needed to be, very heavily tongue in cheek. The show was much nearer to the comic book than the modern films.

On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 5:34 PM, BrianI said:

I'm unsure how long this will take though, as I've never used oil paints before. A few hours? 24 hours? a week?

The good thing about using oils is, because they take longer to dry, it gives you a chance to manipulate the colours. Drying times will depend on how thickly (or thinly) you applied the paint. A thin coat should dry in a day or so (depending upon the ambient conditions). The first horses I painted with oils took over a week to dry - I'd put the paint on a bit thickly :blush:

Thanks for all the replies!
I certainly think the oil paints are easy to work with for creating realistic looking faces.  I definitely found it easier than the vallejo model colour face painting set.  With any luck I'll get this build finished before the end of December 2017.  Which is a bit slow considering I started it in December 2016.....

And yes, the original TV series Batman was camp and over the top acting wise. But a lot of fun compared to the almost Goth like Modern Day Batman movies! :-p

I thought I'd share how I did the eyes:

An off white painted into the eyesocket: 

38511665056_0b50d9fac3_c.jpg

Black which will surround the iris painted in:

37680015785_8e7febbf82_c.jpg

The iris painted in, with a black dot for the pupil, and a smaller white dot for the catch light:

38511665326_afc8fed713_c.jpg

Looking a bit squint eyed:

37680015585_22eafb8157_c.jpg

So a quick repaint of his left eye, then paint the upper eyelid with a dark skin tone:

38536562502_836d41fb11_c.jpg

Then paint the lower eyelid & surroundings with base skin tone (Vallejo Model Colour Beige Red):

38511665126_2a0576eae4_c.jpg

A thin black line painted on to represent the eyelashes:

37680014995_57f1fb8511_c.jpg

And then the eyes glossed over with the trusty pledge multi surface wax:

38511664776_f96473825b_c.jpg

• Like 1

I've let the oils dry for over a week, but they still have a somewhat glossy sheen to them, which makes Batman look sweaty! I take it I need to use a matt varnish suitable for oil paints, rather than an acrylic matt varnish?

Brian, simple answer is yes, only use products designed to cover/mix with oil paints.

Additionally, Windsor and Newton make a product called Liquin it comes in two forms, Original and Fine Detail and it is very good stuff to have on hand if you use oil paints. Halving the drying time is one of its benefits. It does however leave the paint with a gloss finish when dry, but that is easily solved by either satin or matt varnish.

You could brush varnish the face, assemble/finish the rest of the figure off, and then mask the lower face/eyes and use an aerosol spray varnish designed for acrylics for the remainder of the figure. Just a thought.

• 3 weeks later...