Vacu-form Canopy: Tamiya 1/72 Spitfire

Jerry V

Just about to start work on a Tamiya 1/72 Spitfire Mk l.  I want to replace the stock canopy with a vacu-form part (to show it open) but most seem designed for the Airfix kit.  Any suggestions on a suitable replacement.  Thanks.  

FWIW, I believe Pavla, True Details, and Aeroclub also made vacform canopies for the Spitrfire...the Aeroclub ones might be hard to find unless John has some rattling around in his spares bins! Hopefully Rob Taurus will do some.

Mike

The Falcon/Squadron ones were also designed to fit specific kits.  That doesn't mean that they won't fit the Tamiya, as theoretically they should, but that's a risk you'll have to take whenever you buy aftermarket parts that are not specifically designed for the particular kit you wish to use them on.    Equally, that doesn't mean that you will have a problem, just suck it and see.  You don't say whether you wish to model with one of the early flat-top canopies or one with the later bulged top but still flat-sides.  Be sure to avoid the fully bulged canopy or the later windscreens with internal armour, and check whether no armour or only external armour is desired.

I'd keep that Tamiya front and back section and use a vac centre.  I've found that to be the best option when using vac canopies designed for other kits.

IIRC - I don't have a set to hand - the Falcon set was engineered with the Tamiya kit in mind. Edit - mentioned in the link.

If you don't want to go for the full set (which IMO is stupid, because it's superb value for money and gives you enough canopies to do quite a few kits) then Squadron have individual canopies cut down from the Falcon ones at much inflated prices.

22 hours ago, The Wooksta! said:

I'd keep that Tamiya front and back section and use a vac centre.  I've found that to be the best option when using vac canopies designed for other kits.

IIRC - I don't have a set to hand - the Falcon set was engineered with the Tamiya kit in mind. Edit - mentioned in the link.

If you don't want to go for the full set (which IMO is stupid, because it's superb value for money and gives you enough canopies to do quite a few kits) then Squadron have individual canopies cut down from the Falcon ones at much inflated prices.

Except the Tamiya windscreen is noticeable inaccurate - the lower frame at the sides is far too high, I sanded them off and made new ones from plasticard.