1/16th Trumpeter Sd,Kfz. 186

Gremlin56

Reading Andrew Devey's technical history of the JT indicates that Zimmerit is a definite no no for this kit. Zimm was only applied to 8 JTs according to his book and all were Porsche versions.

Difficult to interpret the colors used inside the JT from the B & W  pics in the book though, the fire extinguisher fitted to firewall could just as well be light gray and the brake-drums up forward could be metallic or dirty white even.

:hmmm: 

8 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Could the brake drum be worn out paint from crew maintenance use   :book:

just my my idea of the way these machines would have been looked after. ;)

Beefy

I get the impression from Andrew's book that these were quite well maintained monsters until the last few weeks of WW II, great assets to have in a war that has suddenly put you on the defensive.

I could be horribly wrong though :D

• Like 1

30/12 update.

The return of the son of Buttercup, well, not really. The underside of the JT has been grounded with Vallejo light yellow, reminiscent of course of Buttercup before she went dirty.

Firewall painted and fitted. Engine and fan compartment bulkheads fitted. I have semi-assembled one of the classy hobby figures I bought. once painted will probably look quite good.

Fitted in the commanders hatch looking down at potential targets. These gentlemen must have felt like kings of the world:

DSCN4429.jpg

DSCN4431.jpg

DSCN4432.jpg

DSCN4433.jpg

DSCN4434.jpg

DSCN4435.jpg

DSCN4436.jpg

DSCN4437.jpg

DSCN4438.jpg

B)

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

Kings of the world is not a bad way to describe them.

Looking pretty damn good Gremlin.

Simon.

Bet you are not too old to remember Spike Jones Simon:

When der fuhrer says we is de master race

Zen we heil heil right in der fuher's face
Not to love der fuhrer is a great disgrace
So we heil heil right in der fuhrer's face

not PC even then but rather funny,

B)

• Like 1

31/12 update.

Last 2016 update, spent most time tidying up and grounding "Werner ", as Simon decided he would be called. Think he will look quite good when painted and fitted to the JT's commander's hatch.

Spent some more time on the firewall and added some tubing to it as well.

DSCN4440.jpg

DSCN4441.jpg

DSCN4442.jpg

DSCN4445.jpg

DSCN4443.jpg

DSCN4444.jpg

All for now, I wish you all a healthy and prosperous 2017 and also a happy birthday to Kev,

Cheers

Julian

:fool::cheers:

• Like 9

1 hour ago, longshanks said:

:hmmm: Officers ............always sat on their backsides :winkgrin:

That bulkhead looking sweet

Thanks for your wishes, Happy New Year to you and all the tribe

Kev

Heck, somebody has to keep the hatch cover warm :D

Hope 2017 will be a time of great productivity, knocking great holes in the stash, 114 models at last count, so I'd better get my finger out :hmmm:

54 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

It looks great for now, even Werner seems to agree ...:popcorn:

Cheers Julian :santa:

Thanks Francis,  a very Happy New Year to you and yours.

Werner would appear to be taking life easy today after celebrating the New Year by imbibing huge quantities of brake fluid :cheers:

1/1 update.

Seats for driver and Mg/Radio operator completed. More pipes and girders over and under the torsion bars. Fuel pipes connected between main tanks and fire wall:

DSCN4446.jpg

DSCN4447.jpg

DSCN4448.jpg

DSCN4449.jpg

:cheers:

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Gremlin56 said:

Happy New Year Kayell, I have been getting more signals that things are a tad too clean inside the JT. I'll have to fix that soon ;)

Looking good, particularly the placards on the firewall.

Guess the clean look will only matter if you really see the interior that well through the removable roof, if you bonding the hull halves together? 

If not a good wash here and there using the god old panel line-capillary action should work a treat!

JT definitely a good deal longer than the KT! Had a quick look at my one for a comparison, the 128mm/L55 dwarfs the 88mm/L71 too:D

IMG_7312_zpsfpdfu3kr.jpg

• Like 2

On 2-1-2017 at 1:50 AM, beefy66 said:

Alll the best for the new year  :popcorn: :popcorn:

i,am sure this build will turn out more info the we expected from the start

Beefy

All the best to you and yours too Keith,

cheers

Julian

On 2-1-2017 at 3:52 PM, Silverstone 2 said:

Looking good, particularly the placards on the firewall.

Guess the clean look will only matter if you really see the interior that well through the removable roof, if you bonding the hull halves together? 

If not a good wash here and there using the god old panel line-capillary action should work a treat!

JT definitely a good deal longer than the KT! Had a quick look at my one for a comparison, the 128mm/L55 dwarfs the 88mm/L71 too:D

IMG_7312_zpsfpdfu3kr.jpg

If you zoom in you will see that the placards are rather weird to say the least but from a distance OK.

Weathering, well as Adolph himself said in one of his dreadfully long speeches: " Die Engländer sind verwundert. Sie fragen immer wieder : Warum kommt er denn nicht. Nur Geduld, Geduld, ER KOMMT. ".

I am just trying a different approach with the JT being a much less used vehicle as compared to poor old "Buttercup" who went quite a mile.

My paints for the JT arrived from Spain today, a big thank you to the gentlemen at AK and also a big thanks for the free magazine they sent.

DSCN4453.jpg

DSCN4454.jpg

DSCN4455.jpg

This should get the build underway properly ;)

• Like 1