1/16th Trumpeter Sd,Kfz. 186

Gremlin56

On 26-2-2017 at 9:09 PM, PlaStix said:

It's looking awesome Julian! Shame bits are fighting back but I know you'll get it sorted.  :fight:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix, think I am getting the upper hull under control again :rage:

On 27-2-2017 at 0:54 PM, FrancisGL said:

The wheels of the complete train looks great, very successful, sure that the surgery fits perfectly ...:popcorn:

Cheers Juian :D

Thank you very much Francis, I very much appreciate the kind remarks ;)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ripaman said:

Coming along brilliantly Julian, man that is one big piece of plastic looks like around 13" long :like:

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard, thank you very much, it is a big chunk of plastic and the barrel will make it look even bigger. Mrs. Gremlin56 has taken a distinct dislike to the JT due to it's size :D

Cheers,

Julian

• Like 2

Back on track as my car navigator says, seem to have bashed the fit problem down to an acceptable level. Now working on lifting hooks, hatch handles etc. Also assembled a complete shell to get an idea of the size of what the JT was chucking at the Allied armor. Pretty hefty lumps of metal. I'll get some snaps up this afternoon.

B)

• Like 1

It was a large slug of metal Gremlin.

I wondered why the Axis and the Americans always seem to go by bore width 75 mm/ 88 mm etc but the English is was the weight of the shell 10 lb / 17 lb?

Any idea?

Simon.

• Like 1

Hi Simon,

I couldn't say why the choice Bore/Weight was made. Maybe a choice of knowing what size of  projectile could be stuffed into the breech or knowing what the weight of the chunk of metal was you fired at the enemy. I checked the weights of the HE an AP shells fired by the JT: HE was 28 kilos and the AP was 28.3 kilos. Maybe someone can explain the difference of choices, I personally was relieved to leave pounds, stones, hundredweights, shillings, pence, guineas etc. behind me when I went to Holland and was introduced to the very understandable and logical decimal system.

;)

4/3 update.

Have been doing some homework on the colors used for the different types of ammunition used by the 128mm main gun of the JT. According to Andrew Devey's excellent book on the JT. The cartridge cases were made of steel (first conundrum: Parkerised green or steel? I think I might do a mix), the HE projectile was painted yellow and the AP projectile was oil blackened. The cartridge for the HE and the AP were marked with paint on the base (either PzGr/AP or SprGr/HE). the top of the cartridge was covered by a wooden cup which was labeled with details of the charge (the AP charge was heavier than the HE charge) This all as I, being a non artillery experience person, can understand.

The engine compartment covers are complete, as is the driver/gunner compartment cover. More paint work inside the upper hull to follow:

DSCN4671.jpg

DSCN4672.jpg

This would be an AP projectile and cartridge.

DSCN4673.jpg

DSCN4674.jpg

DSCN4675.jpg

DSCN4676.jpg

DSCN4677.jpg

;)

• Like 5

Hi Kev,

I think he is very relieved that the projectile is not a Preparation H suppository to help him with his hemorrhoids after a prolonged diet of eisbein mit sauerkraut :blink:  

p.s. Wolfgang thinks you don't really like him. Could you give him a virtual hug to allay this suspicion? :P

• Like 2

5/3 update.

I have painted two cartridges in steel, I think they look better than the green cartridge so I'll do a mix with the focus being on the steel cartridges. Forward fighting compartment now installed along with gas-mask cases, atemslauch case and prism holder. Next week some gap filling and weld-mark  adding with the trusty soldering iron. Humongous fighting machine, ugliest thing on tracks in a long time:

DSCN4678.jpg

DSCN4679.jpg

DSCN4680.jpg

DSCN4681.jpg

DSCN4682.jpg

Love it, the thing has all the gentlemanly looks and charms as Donald J. :rofl::rofl:

• Like 4

I agree the steel cartridge case is much sexier..............

This build goes from strength to strength

2 hours ago, Gremlin56 said:

Love it, the thing has all the gentlemanly looks and charms as Donald J. :rofl::rofl:

I know which I would rather have as a neighbour

Kev

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Wogga said:

Your such a clean modeller Julian everything is crisp..... if you know what I mean. Just love your attention to detail.

Thank you very much Wogga, that is a very big and kind compliment.

Much appreciated :blush:

• Like 1

8/3 update:

Have been messing with the soldering iron to make the welding torch marks on the fighting compartments plates:

DSCN4684.jpg

DSCN4683.jpg

The joints before the soldering iron treatment:

DSCN4678.jpg

Looks ok to me but constructive comments welcome

:smile:

• Like 6

Great work on the cutting touch joints and I agree with Kev the silver shell casings get my vote unlike D.J.T

been a while since I last looked in but nice to see the usual high quality build. :clap:

beefy

• Like 1

Big improvement but .....

for perfection, which I know you always aim for.

I feel the beads should be more rounded. Can you try on some scrap. with the tip push, pull back slightly, push pull back slightly. You get the picture

Kev

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, longshanks said:

Big improvement but .....

for perfection, which I know you always aim for.

I feel the beads should be more rounded. Can you try on some scrap. with the tip push, pull back slightly, push pull back slightly. You get the picture

Kev

Thanks for the input Kev, yes get the idea but i think you mean welding and this was a huge slice of steel cut off so it would be a case of heating the metal, giving a blast of air to blow the material away and the repeating the procedure. I'll give your idea a try this weekend though,

thanks mate

:winkgrin: