1/16th Trumpeter Sd,Kfz. 186

Gremlin56

8 hours ago, LSPADDICT said:

Great work, I'll be watching this one very closely. Got this kit myself so will be looking out for tips n tricks ^_^

Start building ;) No kit is really shake and bake, Start your build and join in on the fun. B)

It is a fact of our hobby that the more you build the less room you have to show them  <_<

Some of my older kits I give away at the shows to the younger generation that I think might be trying to take an interest in the hobby

but will probably just end up in the bin when their mother finds out how much dust they can store on them  :unsure:

Beefy

• Like 1

16/12 update.

I removed the offending cast on prisms and fuse box, filled the resulting holes and have added the Prism holders and fuse box. Once painted wiring will be added to the fuse box and I have three clear plastic prisms ready to fit in the holders. I'll leave one empty to show the bolts fastening the holder to the hull. The Saumur KT didn't have a fuse box by the way so maybe it isn't even a fuse box B)

I have been fitting the big shock breakers to the inner hull parts. Right next to the driver's an radio operator/machine gunner seats are long tubes reminiscent but longer and thinner than DP's resin demolition charges. I think that they are supposed to be demolition charges but I won't be spending more on DP's parts here. I have also dry fitted the brake drums and covers pending paint job.

Fit so far good but instructions can be rather vague at times :unsure:

DSCN4321.jpg

DSCN4322.jpg

DSCN4328.jpg

DSCN4329.jpg

DSCN4330.jpg

DSCN4331.jpg

DSCN4332.jpg

I also visited the LHS this morning, yes I know, I shouldn't, and ran into the new mould Airfix B-17G and couldn't resit the temptation. Magnificent detail inside for such a small aircraft. I can remember building Airfix's "A bit of lace" when I was about 8 years old so this is a nostalgic buy:

DSCN4323.jpg

DSCN4324.jpg

DSCN4325.jpg

DSCN4326.jpg

DSCN4327.jpg

Revell's new Me-262  night fighter was in the shop too but didn't want to push my luck with Mrs. Grem56 :rolleyes::fight:

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

My god, that tank looks big...

Couldn`t help yourself Gremlin!!!!!

I mean, it is a great kit by all accounts. Nice buy.

Simon.

The KT is really amazing, can't yet imagine the finished object but it's already dwarfing  "Buttercup".

The B-17G is amazing at the size and price. You won't see much of the innards when built but the detailing is there. The Sperry ball turret had me nearly drooling..........................

How are things progressing with you new work space? Getting ready to christen it with the first build?

;)

• Like 1

I'm settling in for what is going to be a detailed and informative build, love it!!

2 hours ago, Gremlin56 said:

ran into the new mould Airfix B-17G and couldn't resit the temptation.

Did you really try and resist ?

No you didn't did you?

Looks good though

Kev

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, longshanks said:

Did you really try and resist ?

No you didn't did you?

I resisted for all of 5 seconds putting myself in severe mental and physical stress before buying the B-17. I did manage to resist the ME-262 at this moment in time this morning :rolleyes::unsure::blink:

• Like 1

Great start on the JT Julian.

I will be very interested to see how this build progresses and what alterations you undertake.

How is the fit between upper & lower halves of the main hull. The KT needed clamping and a bit of hair dryer to reduce the mould warping. But I found this method works, little by little heat treatment. 

Looking at at the front shot of the your JT lower hull, it seems inevitable that it will need the same, unless the halves are bonded together?

phil

2 hours ago, Silverstone 2 said:

How is the fit between upper & lower halves of the main hull. The KT needed clamping and a bit of hair dryer to reduce the mould warping. But I found this method works, little by little heat treatment. 

Looking at at the front shot of the your JT lower hull, it seems inevitable that it will need the same, unless the halves are bonded together?

phil

Hi Phil, early days in the build but no complaints yet about the fit. I tried get the upper and lower hull to line up last weekend and was rather horrified by the way it looked then, With the lower hull bracing fitted it is already looking better and of course the firewall and engine compartment bulkheads haven't been fitted yet either. Still, things could still go pear shaped like happened with the IV. Had to give up the plan to leave the upper hull removable there unfortunately. Still, nothing that two component epoxy and harsh language can't solve ;)

• Like 2

Well I must admit Gremlin , that I am just about to start marking up the bits of timber , ready for drilling.

BTW , I looked at the Revell B17 G and it`s similar in detail, so is Rose`s B 17 F (Memphis Belle).

It will be interesting when we come to build those together, a lot of plastic on the bench.

Simon.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Well I must admit Gremlin , that I am just about to start marking up the bits of timber , ready for drilling.

BTW , I looked at the Revell B17 G and it`s similar in detail, so is Rose`s B 17 F (Memphis Belle).

It will be interesting when we come to build those together, a lot of plastic on the bench.

Simon.

That will be a relief having the bench back I bet. Is that the Revell F version of the Memphis Belle? I remember building that one as well when I was a kid.

Iconic aircraft, only bugbear is NMF :blink:

• Like 1

17/12 update.

Suspension bar supports and cross beams fitted. Side panels glued in and joins puttied. Forward lower hull plate fitted and everything wiped down with rubbing alcohol.

Probably some paint tomorrow:

DSCN4333.jpg

DSCN4334.jpg

DSCN4335.jpg

DSCN4336.jpg

all for now

B)

• Like 5

MMM we are getting a new 85 million pound extension on our paint shop at work wonder if they will let you try this big beast through it first the bosses want us to build BIGGER thing for the customers  :blink:

Beefy

• Like 2

Hi Julian,

Just wondering why your pictures dont show up just shows DSCN then one of your picture numbers then jpg, but do see them all when I click on one of them?

Do like what I see it is big eh :clap2:

:popcorn:

Regards

Richard

• Like 1

12 hours ago, longshanks said:

Do you cut in and use a roller on this baby.

Looks big enough to float one of my boats in that hull

Kev

Using a roller is not a bad idea actually :D

Don't exaggerate, your Dog boat wouldn't fit in "my little tank" :rolleyes:

12 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

By paint, I think he means industrial quantities..

Simon.

I think this build will use more paint than Buttercup did due to the lighter camo. I want to do the JT in an ambush scheme which will probably take more paint.

B)

12 hours ago, beefy66 said:

MMM we are getting a new 85 million pound extension on our paint shop at work wonder if they will let you try this big beast through it first the bosses want us to build BIGGER thing for the customers  :blink:

Beefy

Like it, can just imagine myself strolling up with the JT tucked under my arm :D

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ripaman said:

Hi Julian,

Just wondering why your pictures dont show up just shows DSCN then one of your picture numbers then jpg, but do see them all when I click on one of them?

Do like what I see it is big eh :clap2:

Regards

Richard

Good morning Richard,

I heard this complaint from a gentleman in France who was having problems seeing the photos. He had to click them at first but later he said things worked okay on his other computer.

I have since checked things out on three laptops ( two running versions of Windows and one running Android) and my two mobile phones (Apple and Samsung), no problems at all.

I have been having some bother getting question marks and brackets to show up since the new forum software appeared. Keyboard doesn't seem to recognize the keystrokes at first.

I don't think the problem is related to "Slick Pic" where I park my photos, the gentlemen there are very good on service and helpdesk items.

The JT is rather big, a really enjoyable build so far but still a very long way to go.

Cheers

Julian

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gremlin56 said:

Good morning Richard,

I heard this complaint from a gentleman in France who was having problems seeing the photos. He had to click them at first but later he said things worked okay on his other computer.

I have since checked things out on three laptops ( two running versions of Windows and one running Android) and my two mobile phones (Apple and Samsung), no problems at all.

I have been having some bother getting question marks and brackets to show up since the new forum software appeared. Keyboard doesn't seem to recognize the keystrokes at first.

I don't think the problem is related to "Slick Pic" where I park my photos, the gentlemen there are very good on service and helpdesk items.

The JT is rather big, a really enjoyable build so far but still a very long way to go.

Cheers

Julian

Hello,

I guess I am the french gentleman 😉 ... I think it is a question of internet browser as I see the pics on my Ipad but not on my PC.

E

• Like 1