Academy 1/72 P-51B Mustang, built for gaming

I just finished this little gem of a kit. I built it for use in a wargame I've started playing, therefore I left off the antenna and other little minor bits since it will be handled regularly. I picked up this kit at the local craft store with a coupon for about $6. I have to say that this is a super kit. Very fine panel lines, great detail for the scale, and excellent fit. The only issue is that the decals are garbage. If I were building this for show, I would have bought aftermarket. I used Vallejo Model Air and Tamiya for the paint. The pilot did not come with it, so I grabbed one from the spares box. Also, the gear didn't have a retracted option, so a little modification was required to build gear up. It wasn't very hard to do. Thanks for looking.

IMG_1045_zpssayepwx5.jpgIMG_1040_zpscgzl5m4t.jpgIMG_1041_zps0qcmvus6.jpgIMG_1042_zpso701atqz.jpgIMG_1043_zpsqyvwhzgs.jpgIMG_1044_zpswxwul3qy.jpgIMG_1039_zpsmyrotcqx.jpg

• Like 28

I have this kit in my stash.  It's next in line, assuming I ever finish anything.

This for your Bolt Action game? How does airpower work in the game?  In FOW it was either a complete waste of time and points or the literal hand of God smashing every thing on the table.  There is no middle ground. 

That's a nice model. Is the landing light cover one of the small bits deliberately left off? Also, that's a 4th FG P-51, prior to D-day, I'm 99.9% certain the rockets wouldn't have been used on that aircraft. The 8th AF tried bazooka rockets with the 56th FG P-47's very briefly after D-day and didn't like them.

thanks

Mike

7 hours ago, Thud4444 said:

I have this kit in my stash.  It's next in line, assuming I ever finish anything.

This for your Bolt Action game? How does airpower work in the game?  In FOW it was either a complete waste of time and points or the literal hand of God smashing every thing on the table.  There is no middle ground. 

An airplane is not a necessity in Bolt Action, but adds a nice touch. If you employ a forward air observer, then once a game (twice for Americans) an air strike can be called in on any target in view of the air observer. When the air strike develops, a token or some other marking device is placed to mark the location of the incoming aircraft. Using an airplane for the marker makes it look better.

When calling an air strike, a die is rolled. On a 4-6, the strike comes, 2-3 its delayed, and on a 1, you get a rookie pilot and he targets your own units by mistake! 

If the strike comes, the target unit and any unit within 6" of the target unit and airplane takes pins determined by dice roll. Then after that, you roll to damage the target unit. There's a lot to go through, so there's always some ambiguity to it.

4 hours ago, Mikemx said:

That's a nice model. Is the landing light cover one of the small bits deliberately left off? Also, that's a 4th FG P-51, prior to D-day, I'm 99.9% certain the rockets wouldn't have been used on that aircraft. The 8th AF tried bazooka rockets with the 56th FG P-47's very briefly after D-day and didn't like them.

thanks

Mike

Thanks for the heads up. I missed the lens cover. As far as the rocket launchers, not sure of the accuracy, but the completed kit photos on the box show this marking equipped with the launchers. In addition, airplanes in Bolt Action are used exclusively for ground attack, so I needed something to represent a ground attack role. In a game of Bolt Action, everything is not 100% historically accurate. This is mainly due to gaming aspects or mechanics.

Edited by Texan76
  • Like 3

I really like that! 

I have built an Academy P-51B once already  - was my first plane model in ages.

Your excellent build inspires me to try another one and try for a better result. :thumbsup2: