HP Harrow - What are these for? (Please see image);

Kiwikitbasher

Can anybody please tell me what the devices marked A & B in the image below that protrude from the Harrow's engine nacelles are? They also appear in photos of Harrows in flight, so they are not removable "keys" etc. Thanks in advance for any info:

Harrow_question_zpstjyg1bue.jpg

Hi Mark, I think those were some sort of venting or breather pipes........similar things appear on top of the wings of Buckingham and Buckmaster aircraft.

I wouldn't worry about what they were, if they were there on all the Harrows then just put them on yours.

You would only need to really know what they were if you were building a full scale flying replica of one.............

Are you building the new Valom one ?

Adrian

Thanks Chris & Adrian above,

To answer your question Adrian - Yes I do plan to build my Valom kit next year, along with my Valom Bombay.I posted the question on behalf of a Czech friend who in turn had a friend who wondered what they were. I agree, it's sufficient to just replicate them, but it's nice too to know what purpose they served.

• Like 2

We think along the same lines Mark, I too looked at all the cutaways available to no avail.

I notice that the full size restored Hampden does not have them................they probably could not work out what they were either...........................

Looking forward to your Valom Harrow build as I too have one to build but I cannot have it until after Christmas as my wife wants to wrap it as a present to me from me.......................

Look forward to comparing notes.

cheers,  Adrian

• Like 1

16 hours ago, adey m said:

Hi Mark, they must have been a Handley Page thing as Hampdens had them too.................

cheers Adrian

So did the Merlin-powered Halifaxes.

http://zoom.iwm.org.uk/view/22908?cat=photographs&oid=object-205126916

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205235177

Chris