Republic P-47 Thunderbolt STGB II Chat

TEMPESTMK5

On 14/05/2018 at 17:54, zegeye said:

Last time I didn make it on time. But my N is done. Now I do not know if I should take part. But I have some other Jugs ready to go.

Dzień dobry Zegeye Hello and Welcome to this Gb

If you have some other Jugs ready to go you are more than welcome to join us ..

Best regards

Patrice

Edited by TEMPESTMK5
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Real Life got in the way - I missed the Radial Rocks GB so my Jug needs building , Tamiya 1/72  P-47D , currently deciding which squadron /pilot  decals to source or make - bearing in mind for accuracy that Tamiya 1/72 razorback kit  is block10 - block21

please count me in  if space for a little one...

15 hours ago, RJ-WobblyHands said:

Real Life got in the way - I missed the Radial Rocks GB so my Jug needs building , Tamiya 1/72  P-47D , currently deciding which squadron /pilot  decals to source or make - bearing in mind for accuracy that Tamiya 1/72 razorback kit  is block10 - block21

I always though the Tamiya kit was closer to a D-20 to a D-22. You can't do earlier blocks because the engine has got Turtleback mags on, but of course it's an easy fix. With the engine fixed that'll give you a D-10 to D-16,  then it's only a case of fixing cowl flaps aircraft and removing oil cooler deflector plates ( some aircraft had the mods done so not always needed ) to make any earlier bugled keel P-47. Add an asymmetric prop ( factory fit, may have different prop ) and you can do the D-23 as well.

On 17/06/2018 at 00:05, RJ-WobblyHands said:

Hello RJ-WobblyHands

Of course you are welcome abord this Gb ...

I agree with Tbolt the Tamiya Razorback is closer to a D-20 to a D-22 Jug ..

I am sure you will find good references on the net ..

Best regards

Patrice

4 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Hello RJ-WobblyHands

Of course you are welcome abord this Gb ...

I agree with Tbolt the Tamiya Razorback is closer to a D-20 to a D-22 Jug ..

I am sure you will find good references on the net ..

Best regards

Patrice

Or after some interweb reading I can use the kit decals and keep with my overall build theme (WW2 USAF based in Essex) . In the kit is  'Little Chief'  276179 flown by Lt Frank Klibbe 61st FS/ 56th FG  - the markings show 5 victories , this was his 3rd and final P-47D ,  he received the plane whilst the 56th FG was based at Halesworth but he was still flying it when the unit moved to Boxted 18/19th April 1944 - his 6th and 7th victories coming in early May 1944

And an excuse to build a 2nd Jug 'Bubbletop'  in 56th FG colour's either the obvious one Gabreski's or the Group Commander Zemke's.  The planes were delivered to Boxted mid May 1944 :) 

• Like 1

Not long before the start of this one, I better make sure I have everything I need. Better check if I got a P-47 Kit!

Oh wait..... :)

29026664028_ac09ed3566_o.jpg

( Most of the Tamiya 1/72nd scale kits have two in each box ).

Not sure what to build yet. I'm still working on the Tamiya P-47N, so space is a bit limited, I might go for a 1/72nd scale kit.

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, MarkSH said:

My missus questioned the need for two repeat kits in my stash, I think I may have to show her that photograph.

Do point out to her that there were over 15,600 P-47's made and there's lot of colour schemes and cool nose art, otherwise it would just seem weird;)

Edited by Tbolt
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Not long before the start of this one, I better make sure I have everything I need. Better check if I got a P-47 Kit!

Oh wait..... :)

29026664028_ac09ed3566_o.jpg

( Most of the Tamiya 1/72nd scale kits have two in each box ).

Not sure what to build yet. I'm still working on the Tamiya P-47N, so space is a bit limited, I might go for a 1/72nd scale kit.

Good morning Tbolt

WHAOU that'is what I call a very nice stash ..👍

I guess you have also various decals sheets ...

Patrice

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MarkSH said:

My missus questioned the need for two repeat kits in my stash, I think I may have to show her that photograph.

Hi Mark

Ask her if she really needs  all these pairs of shoes ...

Cheers

Patrice

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Tbolt

WHAOU that'is what I call a very nice stash ..👍

I guess you have also various decals sheets ...

Patrice

I've got around 75 decal sheets for P-47's in 1/72 and 1/48, so maybe I should buy some more kits? ;)

• Like 2