P-51 Mustang STGB IV Chat

TEMPESTMK5

12 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I am still looking for pictures of F-51 FF943 in Korea to help me decide on wether it was painted or NMF .............

Hi John,

I  Googled 'korea mustang' and got quite a few useful images. As a general rule of thumb, I would say that the NMF Mustangs can be discerned by the much darker panels around the exhausts (as you noted earlier). The painted aluminium finish aircraft have this painted over.

I found this image of F-51D 44-12943 FF-943 'Was That Too Fast?'

http://flickr.com/photos/chaika12/28377222139

Is this the image you found?

I would stick my neck out and say she is in painted aluminium finish. The NMF aircraft have much more tone variation between panels, they look much more 'obviously metal' if that makes sense.

Good luck with your build. Nice choice.

ps edit

Here is a nice image of what I think is a painted aluminium F-51D with some areas around the nose touched up with fresh paint. 

http://flightjournal.com/mustang-an-old-war-horse-in-its-second-war-free-screen-saver/#outer-popup

Edited by Smudge
added link
  • Like 1

Thanks Smudge, yes that’s the one I have but not as close-up or clear, I don’t know how I missed it. My only doubt about it being painted was that the area around the exhausts seemed darker, but looking at your image it appears to be just exhaust stains.

The other thing that persuades me that it was painted is the year of construction 1944, which means that it was probably one of the aircraft pulled out of storage in Japan, and overhauled and painted.

Thanks again, painted it will be then. AllI have to do now is find the right paint.

John

• Like 2

Thanks, John.

I enjoyed looking into that as I have recently been interested in a few Korean War aircraft (F-80, F-84 etc.) and that is a question I had been asking myself (is it NMF or painted?) so found it quite useful.

Good luck with the paint colour 🙂

Edited by Smudge

A question about WWII reds.  I intend building a Mustang from the 356 FG.  These had red noses, with a blue diamond pattern.

According to the decal maker, AeroMaster, the red used by 356 FG was Bright Red, not Insignia Red (their emphasis).

OK, fine.  Message recieved.  But ... what red do I need?  So far as I'm aware, bright red is not listed as either an FS color, nor a BS colour.

23 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

the red used by 356 FG was Bright Red, not Insignia Red

I would challenge this statement. On colour photos it doesn't look very bright at all, a little dull (matte) even. I would approach it from the perspective of what colours were available - RAF roundel red or insignia red?

• Like 2

You don't require large amounts of paint.  If you could find it, RAF prewar Red was a bright colour, and bright colours were common in North Africa, where a red spinner was a compulsory recognition feature.  Whereas no-one would paint an aircraft overall in anything other than official paints, this clearly wasn't always the case with decoration, so any bright red might have been used.  I would expect to see signs of wear on tips if that was so, however.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

A question about WWII reds.  I intend building a Mustang from the 356 FG.  These had red noses, with a blue diamond pattern.

According to the decal maker, AeroMaster, the red used by 356 FG was Bright Red, not Insignia Red (their emphasis).

OK, fine.  Message recieved.  But ... what red do I need?  So far as I'm aware, bright red is not listed as either an FS color, nor a BS colour.

There were two insigina reds, ANA509 and ANA619, the latter of which is also referred to as bright red, only difference seems to be one was matt and one was gloss, as they both translate to FS11136 and FS31136 the same color just different finish 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

After some back tracking, I've found where I rashly put my hand up for this & I've been plotting an entrance since it began, so now time to come out ;) & reveal I intend to try & complete two. An early Hasegawa P-51D in the colours of John Meter's Petie 2nd & Smer/Intec P-51B in the colours of Glenn Moran's Little Anne both of the 487FS 452FG & both wearing codes HO-M. Thread up soon.

@TEMPESTMK5, the Hasegawa kit has its wings glued together, I think it was like that when I bought it 2nd hand, OK for the 25% rule? :) 

Can I put them into one thread seeing as I'll be building them pretty much side by side with luck?

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
add question
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

After some back tracking, I've found where I rashly put my hand up for this & I've been plotting an entrance since it began, so now time to come out ;) & reveal I intend to try & complete two. An early Hasegawa P-51D in the colours of John Meter's Petie 2nd & Smer/Intec P-51B in the colours of Glenn Moran's Little Anne both of the 487FS 452FG & both wearing codes HO-M. Thread up soon.

@TEMPESTMK5, the Hasegawa kit has its wings glued together, I think it was like that when I bought it 2nd hand, OK for the 25% rule? :) 

Steve.

Good morning Steve

I think that if the Hasegawa has just the wings glued together it is Ok for the Gb

Welcome aboard and have fun  with your 2 builds ..

All the best

Patrice

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

You don't require large amounts of paint.  If you could find it, RAF prewar Red was a bright colour, and bright colours were common in North Africa, where a red spinner was a compulsory recognition feature.  Whereas no-one would paint an aircraft overall in anything other than official paints, this clearly wasn't always the case with decoration, so any bright red might have been used.  I would expect to see signs of wear on tips if that was so, however.

The red noses on some ETO Mustangs were painted with shop bought emulsion - it literally spun off in flight leaving the aircraft with a part red/white spinner which can be seen in a few photos.

• Thanks 1

Hi guys,

I've never participated in a group build before, and do not know how things are working. Is it just to start a new build thread, or do I need to register somewhere? I've had an 1/48 AM Mustang in the stash for years intending to finished it as a Mustang Mk I, and this group build seems as a golden opportunity to get started. There seems to a lot of knowledge about RAF Mustangs in here.

Regards,

Ragnar

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ragnarec said:

I've never participated in a group build before, and do not know how things are working. Is it just to start a new build thread, or do I need to register somewhere? I've had an 1/48 AM Mustang in the stash for years intending to finished it as a Mustang Mk I, and this group build seems as a golden opportunity to get started. There seems to a lot of knowledge about RAF Mustangs in here.

Granted I've been only hanging out here for a little bit, I think you just basically registered! 😂  Basically saying your interested and then starting, you are in!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ragnarec said:

Hi guys,

Regards,

Ragnar

Good evening Ragnarec

Welcome aboard and  it is really easy you just have to start a new build thread where you present the kit you plan to build , then post images of the progress of your build and once your build is finished post 5 photos in the Gallery .. do not hesitate if you have questions ..

And the most important Have fun with your build .

Best regards

Patrice .

2 hours ago, BlueNosers352nd said:

Granted I've been only hanging out here for a little bit, I think you just basically registered! 😂  Basically saying your interested and then starting, you are in!

1 hour ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good evening Ragnarec

Welcome aboard and  it is really easy you just have to start a new build thread where you present the kit you plan to build , then post images of the progress of your build and once your build is finished post 5 photos in the Gallery .. do not hesitate if you have questions ..

And the most important Have fun with your build .

Best regards

Patrice .

Thank's for quick answer. I'm in!

Ragnar

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Working on the 1/48 Tamiya P-51B.  Sadly I haven't built the Tamiya B before, just the Monogram Classic.  Anyone else that's built it think the leading edge light glass is a god awful fit?  I'm getting the feeling I'll have to glue it in then sand to fit and polish.  It's hard to mess up the wing assembly so I think it's not the greatest fit.

@BlueNosers352nd

Yes, the glass is too small. I finally got it to fit by -

(1) applying plastic glue all around the opening to make it a bit smaller,

(2) fixing the glass with tiny drops of superglue at both ends - just so much that it sits right,

(3) filling the gaps carefully with several layers of white glue.

Cheers, Michael

• Like 2

Propeller Cuffs.

I've been meaning to ask this for ages (I feel as if I ought to know :blush:), but what were the propeller cuff for? I think they were made of rubber? And left off later P-51D/K models?

Thanks!

• Like 1

@Johnson  I would assume they improved the airflow around the nose, a kind of 'paddle-blade' effect. The -K had an Aeroproduct prop without cuffs. Later Mustang versions had real paddle-blade Hamilton Standards.

• Thanks 1