P-51 Mustang STGB IV Chat

TEMPESTMK5

On all P-51s the top panels were NM. Side walls, longerons and stringers (those stretching across and along the top panels) were yellow zinc chromate. This was the factory finish. A few planes received overall zinc chromate inside the wells after overhaul or repair.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Toryu said:

Hi Dansk, upperside and underside panel lines were filled to the same measure.

And yes, it flaked off or at least dirtied so that on some heavily used planes the panel lines were discernible, particularly after removal of invasion stripes.

Cheers, Michael

Great. Thank you Michael 🙏

I like the idea of recreating that - Don’t suppose you know of any photo ref out there?

@Dansk Hi Paul,

Here are a couple of pictures showing upper surfaces with reappearing panel lines, and a very interesting underside where the colour seems to have worn off to reveal the filler.

The first is 'Miss Marilyn II' and the second 'The Millie G'. Apparently 55th FG had very poorly maintained surfaces, maybe owing to the fact that they received their Mustangs from other FGs when they converted from the P-38. The other FGs did probably not share their best and newest.

Cheers, Michael

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Toryu said:

@Dansk Hi Paul,

Here are a couple of pictures showing upper surfaces with reappearing panel lines, and a very interesting underside where the colour seems to have worn off to reveal the filler.

The first is 'Miss Marilyn II' and the second 'The Millie G'. Apparently 55th FG had very poorly maintained surfaces, maybe owing to the fact that they received their Mustangs from other FGs when they converted from the P-38. The other FGs did probably not share their best and newest.

Cheers, Michael

Oh wow michael that’s so inspiring. Thank you so much 🙏👍

I’m definitely wanting now to emulate those re-emerging panel lines.

On that aircraft its great with the worn walkways and that (replacement?) panel on the leading edge forward of the walkway too.

Edited by Julien
Please DONT quote pictures

My son gave me an Amazon voucher for Christmas so I've just ordered the Airfix 1/48 North American P-51D Mustang A05138 with the filletless tail. I intend to build this as 44-13761 Happy Jack’s Go Buggy MC-I flown by Major Jack M Ilfrey, 79th Fighter Squadron, 20th Fighter Group, King’s Cliffe, July 1944. I have the Kits-World KW148060 decal sheet the also features nose stripes, but I shall be using those on one of my other builds. HJGB did not carry them (I have a couple of pictures that clearly show a plain nose). Hopefully I can slip this one in, subject to work on another GB. I'm leading an Airfix Wellington GB on the ATF from Jan 4.

42 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Oh wow michael that’s so inspiring. Thank you so much 🙏👍

I’m definitely wanting now to emulate those re-emerging panel lines.

On that aircraft its great with the worn walkways and that (replacement?) panel on the leading edge forward of the walkway too.

Please dont quote pictures in a reply, just remove them.

Quoting and Pictures...

Quoting a post and repeating all of the pictures is annoying when scrolling through a thread, especially for those members using tablets or smart phones.  If you are going to quote a post, please remove the repeated photos, its the polite thing to do.

Julien

@Dansk

The ‘walkways‘ are the ETO recognition stripes (around wings and tailplane). Yes, the front end seems to have worn off or was removed.

The shiny panel inboard of the gun muzzles is an undercarriage joint access panel that was generally not filled and painted. Hence the different hue of NM.

4 hours ago, Julien said:

Please dont quote pictures in a reply, just remove them.

Makes sense 👍

3 hours ago, Toryu said:

@Dansk

The ‘walkways‘ are the ETO recognition stripes (around wings and tailplane). Yes, the front end seems to have worn off or was removed.

The shiny panel inboard of the gun muzzles is an undercarriage joint access panel that was generally not filled and painted. Hence the different hue of NM.

Thanks Michael, your knowledge is amazing. 

• Thanks 1

Happy 2020, everyone!  I have to say that I'm glad to see the last of 2019- not really a bad year for me personally, but a pretty grim one in the outside world.  Not that turning a calendar to a new year really matters, but maybe symbolically...

Anyway, seems a good time for an update on the GB:

We've got two completions already, which is inspiring.

32nd is holding steady at 5 Ds, all Revell, with the one "old school" molding being the first across the finish line.  Seeing all those bumpy rivets gave me some flashbacks to very early in my modeling life!

In 48th, we have two Mustang Mk I conversions, an A-36, a P-51A, and the new Modelsvit P-51H.

We also have 5 P-51B/C, all but one either Tamiya or ICM "Tamiya clones".

But there are a whopping 19 threads for P-51D/Ks, including at least two "repeat offenders" with more than one getting built in the thread.  What's more, NINE different toolings are represented!  (Airfix is only just ahead, with Eduard followed closely by Tamiya on their heels.)

72nd offers us a Mustang Mk IA, a P-51A/ Mk II (FROG, probably the oldest kit being built?), a Piper Enforcer, and two (appropriately enough) F-82 Twin Mustangs.

10 B/Cs (actually 11, with a double) from 4 (?) different toolings.

20 D/Ks, including a postwar "Cavalier", from 7 (?) different toolings, including two generations of Airfix.

There's also CliffB's 1/100 "Eldon Match Kit" D, which may be even older than the Frog?

And I even started the new year off appropriately, by actually working on a model!  Unfortunately it was a 1/35 Piper L-4, but I know where my Mustang project is, and that is "scheduled" for some attention today, as well.

Good luck to all, both with the models and in "full-scale life"!

Edited by gingerbob
Increase one number for our first 2020 new build
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Hello Mustang GB'ers.

I have been popping in and out of the GB, just having a look, because of course I am a fan of all things Mustang. Some great builds going on and lots of interesting research/info being shared. I do enjoy GB's but have not been in any lately, due to not finishing in time and feeling a little frustrated by my lack of progress.

Anyhow, I was thinking about throwing my hat in and joining in if I may?

Not sure what I'll do yet, but did find this whilst 'researching'. I did a double take and couldn't quite believe it, as I never knew Communist China operated Mustangs! 

http://plane-encyclopedia.com/cold-war/north-american-p-51-mustang-in-communist-chinese-service/

Hope that's of interest. Don't think I'd do one for the GB, but something a little different for a future project.

Maybe a Reno Racer...............

Edited by Smudge
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good evening Smudge

Thank you for the link it is very interesting ..

And of course you are welcome to join us and have fun , a Reno Racer Mustang  would be an interesting build ..

All the best

Patrice

• Thanks 1

I’ve been following a Korean War Mustang build over on LSP where the builder has been told by a recognised Mustang expert that many of the F-51s in Korea where painted metallic grey. This is supported by our own @antonio argudo who has supplied photos . I have to admit that I was sceptical, but on close inspection of the photos you can see a uniform finish under the grime and an absence of the variety of panel shades which can be seen on WW II aircraft.

Anyone else heard of this?

John

• Like 1

I’m building the 12FBS F-51 side number FF943 but I can only find one photo taken at a distance and cannot decide if it is painted or NMF as there is not much panel variation but the ones around the exhaust appears to still be stainless steel/magnesium, or perhaps just dirty.

John

Airfix 1/72 P-51D:  This morning I finally accepted the self-challenge, to see if I could get the control stick free of the sprue intact.  I studied the arrangement carefully, separated it and the surrounding runner from the rest of the sprue so that I could get at it better, and began to very carefully razor-saw at the points of connection.  I cut almost through the base spot, then worked on the spot higher up.  After a while I decided to finish the cut of the base, so that there'd be no bending stress.  As the razor saw broke through the last sinew, "tink" and down fell the lower half of the stick.  Remarkably, it landed on the desk in front of me where I could find it.

Well, having got that far, I freed the fuselage halves from the sprue and also the "innards" piece- which on my kit was rather badly twisted front and back.  Holding the radio/fuel tank region firmly and counter-twisting the forward and aft portions several times got it rather closer to true, and a test fit suggests that it'll work out OK once trapped (and glued) in the fuselage.  (I did like the way the part "keys" in to the fuselage- that helps considerably.)

So, score minus two for Airfix's bloody soft plastic (and clumsy attachment points on the stick), and plus one for that soft plastic allowing me to somewhat "unwarp" the big interior part.

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Hi all,

I've just opened up and washed sprues for the Sweet 1/144 scale P51B pair. AJ-A and another TBD.

Hoping to have them ready for a small diorama at Bolton on the 19th. I'll start a WIP tonight.

For the (tiny!) interiors I'm thinking Humbrol 226 (interior green). I know it is a hot topic, but AIUI this should at least be in the ballpark!?

• Like 1

Does anyone have a copy of the book " Warpaint "  by John and Donna Campbell please? I should have one but cannot find it so I suspect it somehow got left behind in the UK.

I am still looking for pictures of F-51 FF943 in Korea to help me decide on wether it was painted or NMF and I'm sure I remember seeing one in that book.

John

On 1/8/2020 at 12:39 PM, Tim R-T-C said:

For the (tiny!) interiors I'm thinking Humbrol 226 (interior green)

That’s my colour of choice too for 51 interiors 

• Like 1

On 03/01/2020 at 05:50, Biggles87 said:

I’ve been following a Korean War Mustang build over on LSP where the builder has been told by a recognised Mustang expert that many of the F-51s in Korea where painted metallic grey. This is supported by our own @antonio argudo who has supplied photos . I have to admit that I was sceptical, but on close inspection of the photos you can see a uniform finish under the grime and an absence of the variety of panel shades which can be seen on WW II aircraft.

Anyone else heard of this?

John

That's a great piece of info John,I had to replace my Hobbyboss kit as disaster hit the first one and was toying with the idea of the South African

option in the box.

• Like 1