P-51 Mustang STGB IV Chat

TEMPESTMK5

36 minutes ago, Goatdriver said:

Bonjour Patrice,

I'd like to join the GB.  I just got a Tamiya 1/32 P-51D that I plan to build in D-Day configuration.  I'm not sure which particular aircraft yet.  A question--what does the ST in STGB mean?

Thanks.

Robert

STGB stands for Single Type.    As in only P-51 Mustangs vs say like the upcoming Trainers Group build in February.  Any trainer aircraft type would fit that one, just not say a PT-17 Stearman only group build.

• Thanks 1

For those of us in mainland UK Lidl stores have the Airfix 72nd scale P-51 starter kit at £4.99 and Hobbycraft have a half price sale on Revell kits which, therefore, puts the 32nd scale kit at £18.50 :) 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Goatdriver said:

Bonjour Patrice,

I'd like to join the GB.  I just got a Tamiya 1/32 P-51D that I plan to build in D-Day configuration.  I'm not sure which particular aircraft yet.  A question--what does the ST in STGB mean?

Thanks.

Robert

Good morning Goatdriver

Welcome aboard

All the best

Patrice

1 hour ago, Col. said:

For those of us in mainland UK Lidl stores have the Airfix 72nd scale P-51 starter kit at £4.99 and Hobbycraft have a half price sale on Revell kits which, therefore, puts the 32nd scale kit at £18.50 :) 

Thats an even cheaper source of 1/72 dropped flaps for the Tamiya kit. :)

Martin

On 11/23/2019 at 9:46 AM, RidgeRunner said:

Thats an even cheaper source of 1/72 dropped flaps for the Tamiya kit. :)

Martin

I have a couple spare sets you're welcome to if you wish.

On 11/23/2019 at 4:27 PM, Erwin said:

Joining with this...

193698-12192-87-pristine.jpg

I shall do this as "beutefugzeug"

The swastika in the profile is wrong.Unless their were more P-51 D's with the small swastika.

The frame of the windcreen seems to be  unpainted ? 

More info is welcome.

xJboMntVLn0M8WWNX3NNqNlXFmnMBFSdXl-bOdLZ

2_4.jpg

Edited by Erwin
  • Like 1

I think the three Mustang in the photograph were repainted for a film where they played the 'bad guys' rather than being captured Luftwaffe examples :hmmm:

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Col. said:

I think the three Mustang in the photograph were repainted for a film where they played the 'bad guys' rather than being captured Luftwaffe examples :hmmm:

Interesting !

I better go with the profile then.

Edited by Erwin

16 hours ago, Col. said:

Good afternoon Col

I think that you are right and I think of this film

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighter_Squadron

Patrice

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Being a relatively newcomer to this forum - I'd thought I'd jump into the group builds for the coming year and challenge myself as a builder. Also maybe in the process I build things that I wouldn't not otherwise build!

Now I see myself mostly as a 1/72 jet modeller - so what a nice way to start is a 1/48 WW2 prop plane. Now in all honesty I have built Accurate Miniatures Mustang before (or A-36 Apache to be more precise, gotta post it to the Ready for Inspection once I get proper photos of it) - so this is not completely new to me. But it has been 5-6 years since I built it, only finished the painting this year. So i don't remember much about the actual kit. I picked up the kit from my dad's stash - and it will find it's place on my dad's shelf once done. 

So long story short - count me in, this is what I'm gonna build: 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I have particular fondness of the 'birdcage' type canopies instead of the 'bubble' type canopy - this is even more true on the P-47, but also with the Mustang. The little I remember about the Accurate Miniatures kits is that they have very nice details - but can have some fit issues. My dad is building Accurate Miniatures Il-2 at the moment - and at some point of the process bought put it on a shelf and bought a Tamiya kit :D He really dislikes when parts don't fit as intended.

• Like 5

Good afternoon reini

Welcome aboard , sorry I can't help you with the AM Mustang but I am sure that you will find help if you have questions with this build ..

All the best

Patrice

• Like 1

@SimonT  You will for sure find a nose colour discussion in this lenghty thread (which is generally helpful for our GB).

But honestly, I wouldn't care too much. The area is rather small and dirt plus paint deterioration would have changed the original colours anyway.

• Thanks 1