P-51 Mustang STGB IV Chat

TEMPESTMK5

2 hours ago, Col. said:

Good afternoon Patrice.

Now that you've put it like that makes me realise how quickly this one is approaching!

Good afternoon Col

You are right just there are only 5 weeks left to wait before the start of this Gb that is enough time to choose the right subject(s) to build ...

All the best

Patrice

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon Col

You are right just there are only 5 weeks left to wait before the start of this Gb that is enough time to choose the right subject(s) to build ...

All the best

Patrice

At the moment my thoughts are for a RCAF example built in-flight from the 72nd scale Airfix kit but there's plenty time for that to change :lol: 

• Like 1

On 11/5/2019 at 8:13 PM, srkirad said:

I've planned to make this Mustang as Guatemalan machine...

A change of plan for me, then ;)

Note, @srkirad that those colour quotes are inaccurate for this scheme. I think they are based on the last available ex-FAG machine "315" that had the paintwork retouched with US paints. Also, the pattern for each of the FAG machines was quite different.

Good luck. I look forward to seeing it :)

Martin  

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

A change of plan for me, then ;)

Note, @srkirad that those colour quotes are inaccurate for this scheme. I think they are based on the last available ex-FAG machine "315" that had the paintwork retouched with US paints. Also, the pattern for each of the FAG mahinees was quite different.

Good luck I look forward to seeing it :)

Martin  

Hmm.. well, I'm not really much into their story, so this decal instructions is all I have as reference regarding to colours and pattern 🙄

Do you maybe know a bit more about it?

I could paint it according to this manual in the end if I don't find better reference, as I do tolerate some differences as long as it resembles original :)

Thanks for the comments, suggestions and help in advance!

Cheers,

S.

Its your model and as long as you are happy that is all that matters. Just trying to help you along. I'll be watching as I love these Latin Mustangs.

Good luck :)

Martin

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Andre B said:

So, I got the kits and the decals. Just hope for some free time to build them as well. Can't hardly wait!

Cheers / André

Good afternoon André

This Gb will start in only 1 little month ... 

All the best

Patrice

• Like 2

Good afternoon

I wonder how many Eduard's Mustang builds we will see for this Gb , too bad for me 1/48 is not my scale but I hope that I will not have to wait too long before Eduard downscale it to 1/72 ...

Patrice

• Like 1

Right Tally Ho I'm in!  Someone responded to my new member post about this GB coming up and in an effort to get the modeling juices flowing again, I am game.  I do lose 3 weeks with Vacations in that time frame, but let's see what I can do.  Started rummaging through the pile last night.  So shocked I didn't have a D model.  Got lots of Accurate Miniatures models though.  So what the heck, let's pull out a bagged Accurate Miniatures P-51B.   Now to find a bird to replicate.....but I tend to think the OD Mustangs are just yuck.   Maybe a Blue Nosed would help with the OD Green.  Then I saw the NMF with full D-Day stripes and said that's what I am doing.  I'll do 'The Flying Scot II"  (2nd profile)

spacer.png 

But then rummaging through my Osprey 352nd FG book, I saw this in progress version of 'The Flying Scot II' and thought.........their is something you don't see everyday, a In progress D-Day stripe bird.  So this is what I am going to attempt.

49068694138_f734e2178d_c.jpg
Photo Nov 15, 7 39 18 AM by Jim Fox, on Flickr

Edited by BlueNosers352nd
  • Like 6

15 minutes ago, BlueNosers352nd said:

But then rummaging through my Osprey 352nd FG book, I saw this in progress version of 'The Flying Scot II' and thought.........their is something you don't see everyday, a In progress D-Day stripe bird.  So this is what I am going to attempt.

That's a nice idea - unfinished D-day stripes. Saw this Eagle Strike decal drawing full of antenna wires. Don't do them, please - VIII Fighter Command didn't have any HF radios.

• Like 1

Probably not unfinished but belonging to the period when they were removed from the uppersurfaces.

PS.  Or maybe not.

However EVERY aircraft with D-Day stripes passed through a part-painted stage.  Each for their own.

Edited by Graham Boak
Second thoughts.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BlueNosers352nd said:

49068694138_f734e2178d_c.jpg
Photo Nov 15, 7 39 18 AM by Jim Fox, on Flickr

I'll probably switch and buy a Tamiya P-51B so it's easier to mess with putting the flaps down and pose it just like this picture.

1 hour ago, Toryu said:

That's a nice idea - unfinished D-day stripes. Saw this Eagle Strike decal drawing full of antenna wires. Don't do them, please - VIII Fighter Command didn't have any HF radios.

Good reminder for everyone.  Having built several VIII planes over the decades it's one thing I remember to do (or not to do in this case).

• Like 2

After exploiting eduards recent sales I find myself with two of their Mustang boxings so I think I will throw caution to the wind wuth this GB and attempt to do both simultaneously, a BMF and a Painted example:

49081079102_23244c3391_b.jpg
49080362878_015aa2ee93_b.jpg
49080350788_fcfd90d9ba_b.jpg

49081075332_4063756ae4_b.jpg

can’t wait for this

:yahoo:

• Like 4

I have a Tamiya 1:72 D that I´ll do with one of the kit supplied decal schemes. I also have a pair of Academy B:s/C:s and will do the "Leakin' Lizz" and "Atlanta Peach" from the Xtradecal D-Day 70th Anniversary sheet if I find sufficient time for all of them (see link below for the schemes). It would be nice to try do the "Bonnie" too, but I don´t have the kit with a fin fillet... :hmmm:yet. Hohum, I know what this will now lead me into 💸 💸 💸. Well, it´s only (another) 10€...

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72196 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pappy said:

Bonjour Patrice,

I'd like to play as well. I will be building an RAAF 3SQN P-51K using the Tamiya 1/48 P-51D kit,

cheers,

Pappy

Good afternoon Pappy

Welcome aboard see you on december 14 for the start of you build ..

All the best

Patrice

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

I have a Tamiya 1:72 D that I´ll do with one of the kit supplied decal schemes. I also have a pair of Academy B:s/C:s and will do the "Leakin' Lizz" and "Atlanta Peach" from the Xtradecal D-Day 70th Anniversary sheet if I find sufficient time for all of them (see link below for the schemes). It would be nice to try do the "Bonnie" too, but I don´t have the kit with a fin fillet... :hmmm:yet. Hohum, I know what this will now lead me into 💸 💸 💸. Well, it´s only (another) 10€...

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72196 

Good afternoon VP

Very choices with the Tamiya and Academy Mustangs and Xtradecal sheet , I have it too but I don't know yet if I am going to use it ...

All the best

Patrice

• Like 1