1/72 Matchbox Hurricane Mk.IID/IIC

So progress is slowly plodding along!

I've decaled the Hurricane and I'm quite happy with the result, here is the decal WIP:

34065432322_f90bf8ea5b_c.jpgIMG_0786 by Neal, on Flickr

Then I started the weathering using oils for a change, I've done a pin wash and now trying to get some bleaching using a light sand coloured mix:

34611877165_2ee7c55227_c.jpgIMG_0818 by Neal, on Flickr

I've decided to place my Hurricane in flight and have tried to create a blurred prop effect using some clear acetate sheet and spraying it, I am not too convinced about the result effect. What do you guys think?

34450520372_1e9435ed17_c.jpgIMG_0825 by Neal, on Flickr

Take care guys.

Edited by NealParkes
wrong picture
  • Like 5

That looks rather good! I see where Airfix got their inspiration for the trenches on their Mk.II :lol: Bit having said that the gorgeous paint job hides them well.

Trevor

• 2 weeks later...

I've got this little Hurricane a bit further along the road towards completion. It has been weathered using the oils which I blended with turps, I let them dry a good few days before coming back to the model. I then put down a clear coat and a Flory Grime wash which I thens sealed in with some Tamiya XF-86 flat clear. 

So here are the pics:

33935446174_f524e3b5a0_c.jpgUntitled by Neal, on Flickr

34391694500_cd2616d47f_c.jpgUntitled by Neal, on Flickr

34645097101_d2e4604c53_c.jpgUntitled by Neal, on Flickr

34614851582_53b3ca7fbf_c.jpgUntitled by Neal, on Flickr

Almost there now, I just need to put on a few small details and then I can work on the vignette base.

• Like 3

I've got some work started on the vignette base, i'm using a cheap and cheerful photo frame for the base:

First of all I drill a hole in the side of it so that I can place the acrylic rod in to it:

34397121300_a35ccb449a_c.jpgUntitled by Neal, on Flickr

I then sealed the glass in with some transparent silicon sealant, after giving it an hour or so to dry i covered the glass in PVA glue on to which I sprinkled Gerbill sand to start creating a desert-ish scheme:

33973879653_5a0427dbee_c.jpgUntitled by Neal, on Flickr

And here it is drying out:

34397121710_1e9a96572d_c.jpgUntitled by Neal, on Flickr

The next step is going to be to find some "rocks" for it and maybe add some washes or diluted pain to create some tonal variation.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, 

I think I can see light at the end of the tunnel on this little project. I've done some work on the base, just added some Flory Grime wash airbrushed on here and there so it doesn't look as monotonous and also added some small gravel to add lumps and bumps. I've also bent some acrylic rod so I can place the Hurricane at a banked angled:

34123844364_52d27b75b4_c.jpgUntitled by Neal, on Flickr

Here is a dry fit of the plane on the vignette, I added some chipping to the aircraft too:

34802799812_1901cc5d4b_c.jpgUntitled by Neal, on Flickr

34802799702_03a676fbdc_c.jpgUntitled by Neal, on Flickr

And then I decided to glue to prop on:

34834767121_079f76e30b_c.jpgUntitled by Neal, on Flickr

I just need to paint the nose cone now and bring it all together. 

Thanks for looking.

• Like 6

Hi,

this is a great build, and French to boot!!!

I would personally just omit the propeller and put the spinner....

That's just me though, as I have an unexplained dislike of these prop blurrs. Something must have happened to me in a previous life.

Great show

JR

50 minutes ago, Jessica said:

Perhaps try a graduated fading with the prop disc? It should be slightly darker towards the middle of the blade position and thinner towards the edges.

This is first for me, i don't really have the skills to fade the paint more so maybe next time I do something similar I'll try to do it then, I don't want to wreck it so close to the finish!

13 minutes ago, jean said:

Hi,

this is a great build, and French to boot!!!

I would personally just omit the propeller and put the spinner....

That's just me though, as I have an unexplained dislike of these prop blurrs. Something must have happened to me in a previous life.

Great show

JR

I grew up in "la belle france" so have a particular affinity for all thing french especially wine and cheese!! The only reason why I am doing a spinning prop is i want to try and replicate a flying machine, if it was on the ground then definitely I would just use the kit prop!

Neal

• 2 weeks later...

So it is done guys!! Here are a few shots of the end result:

34832903400_f9a84780d7_b.jpg1/72 Matchbox Huricane Mk.1 photo 1 by Neal, on Flickr

34832923140_aeaf3d53b8_b.jpg1/72 Matchbox Huricane Mk.1 photo 4 by Neal, on Flickr

I will be writing up a post for the "Ready For Inspection" thread, I just wanted to say thank you to all that have read and commented on the build and all the support you guys have given me.

Neal

• Like 2