DaveCov's 2016 Builds

davecov

Despite continuing shoulder problems this year, I managed to knock out my second highest yearly total since returning to modelling in 2004 - 33 builds. Here they are with the newest builds at the top:

Airfix 1/144 Vickers VC-10 (04026)
vc10_031.JPG

This was the tanker version of the VC-10 which was converted into a BOAC Super VC-10 using the Braz engines and fuselage plugs. Wing fences were fashioned from plastic card. BOAC decals came from 26Decals.

Airfix 1/76 Scammell Tank Transporter (A02301)
Scammell_Tank_Transporter_76_GB_030.JPG

An OOB build apart from the addition of acetate windows. As it turned out, I put too many windows in and had to take four out again!.

Airfix 1/72 Grumman TBM-3 Avenger (03033)
spacer.png

This particular issue came with the VJ-Day Set (08672). It was going to be an OOB build but the kit decals were awful so I replaced them with decals from the Xtradecal set Yanks with Roundels Pt 3 - U.S. Aircraft in the Fleet Air Arm (X72142). I then decided to add a QuickBoost radar pod, bulged windows from an Academy kit and scratchbuilt exhausts.

Airfix 1/72 Grumman F6F-3/5 Hellcat (02023)
Grumman_Hellcat_72_GB_026.JPG

This particular issue came with the VJ-Day Set (08672). It was an OOB build but with decals from the Xtradecal set Yanks with Roundels Pt 3 - U.S. Aircraft in the Fleet Air Arm (X72142).

Airfix 1/24 Junkers Ju-87 B-2 Stuka (18002-7)
Junkers_Ju87_Stuka_24_GB_161.JPG

I included some extra detail in the aft section of the fuselage (including stringers and a first aid compartment and fitted a Eduard Luftwaffe harness to the pilot's seat. National markings and snakes were painted using Montex mask sheet K24035.

Matchbox 1/72 McDonnell F-101F Voodoo (PK-411)
Matchbox_Voodoo_72_003.JPG

A straightforward OOB build of the CF-101B version. Decals were a pleasure to apply considering their age but the undercarriage is really flimsy and prone to damage or snapping off!

Airfix OO Saddle Tank 0-4-0 (02660-2)
Saddle_Tank_040_GB_012.JPG

Built OOB. Decals were very poor due to their age.

Airfix OO Saddle Tank J94 0-6-0 (R205)
Saddle_Tank_J94_060_GB_021.JPG

Built OOB apart from some brass rod handrails. Decals were very poor due to their age.

Dapol OO/HO BR 10 Ton Meat Van (C041)
Dapol_Meat_Van_GB_010.JPG

Airfix OO Cattle Wagon (R5)
Cattle_Wagon_GB_014.JPG

Dapol OO Brake Van (C038)
Dapol_Brake_Van_GB_025.JPG

Built OOB apart from handrails which were replaced with brass and plastic rod.

Airfix OO/HO BR ESSO Tank Wagon (R1)
Tank_Wagon_GB_010.JPG

Airfix HO/OO Signal Box (03610-0)
Signal_Box_GB_2016_062.JPG

I used the Ratio Signal Box Interior Set (553) for most of the internal detailing and the fire buckets came from Bachmann. Handrails were made from plastic rod and glazing was made from acetate and white decal striping.

Airfix 1/12 Black Prince (02502-7)
Black_Prince_GB_2016_026.JPG

A straightforward OOB build.

Airfix 1/600 The Rommel (02202)
Rommel_GB_2016_033.JPG

A straightforward OOB build. I started to add railings and rigging but was unable to do so due to injury so left them off.

Airfix 1/72 Bell P-39Q Airacobra (A01039)
Airacobra_72_GB_034.JPG

This was built as Airacobra I AH574 which "Winkle" Brown flew in another aviation first - first retractable tricyle landing gear aircraft to land on an aircraft carrier. It was brush-painted and I used aftermarket wheels from Aires and Balkan Models Winglet 1 decals.

Airfix 1/32 Crusader (08301-4)
Crusader_III_32_GB_061.JPG

A straightforward OOB build.

Airfix 1/600 HMS Belfast (A04212)
Belfast_GB_2016_045.JPG

An OOB build with the addition of decal striping for the boot-topping.

Airfix 1/72 Saab Draken (02039)
Draken_35F_72_025.JPG

The kit cockpit canopy was missing and I had to order a Pavla replacement which is not the best of fits. I had problems with the kit decals due to their age and had to use Flying Colors Aero FCASR710 decals instead.

Airfix 1/72 Fiat G91 (106)
Fiat_G91_72_022.JPG

I also had problems with this kit's decals due and used Xtradecal X72175 decals instead.

Matchbox 1/76 Montys Caravan (PK-175)
Matchbox_Montys_Caravan_76_017.JPG

Airfix 1/72 Westland Whirlwind HAS Mk22 (02056)
Westland_Whirlwind_HAS22_017.JPG

OOB build.

Airfix 1/72 DHC Chipmunk T10 (134)
spacer.png

OOB build.

Airfix 1/72 Supermarine Spitfire Mk1a (01071)
spacer.png

OOB build.

Pegasus 1/72 Ryan FR1 Fireball (2002)
Pegasus_Ryan_FR1_Fireball_72_009.JPG

A quick OOB build. A rather clunky affair with way-too-thick trailing and leading edges to everything! Panel lines are well done though. It comes with a white metal undercarriage that is pretty awful but I chose to build it wheels-up. The decals are excellent although there are no instructions as to where they should be applied.

Airfix 1/76 RAF Refuelling Set (A03302)
Refuelling_Set_76_014.JPG

The AEC Matador had "glazing" fitted to the cab, while the Bedford QL has had a bit of work done on the top to look like a wartime vehicle and not post-war as depicted by the Airfix kit.

Airfix 1/72 Beagle Basset 206 (02025-5)
Beagle_Basset_206_027.JPG

Not a bad little kit although I had a lot of problems getting some of the windows to stay in and problems with the decals (especially the fuselage stripes that I left off in the end). The glossy anti-dazzle panel should have been matted down before the photos were taken but that has now been done.

Frog 1/72 DH Hornet F.Mk3 (F239)
Frog_DH_Hornet_72_019.JPG

An OOB build of the old Frog Hornet that still scrubs up well.

Airfix 1/72 Piper Cherokee Arrow II (01060-5)
Piper_Cherokee_Arrow_II_013.JPG

Another lovely little kit. Unfortunately, the decals had yellowed beyond repair which had an effect on the blue of the decals, turning it green.

Heller 1/72 Caudron C.635 Simoun (80208)
Heller_Caudron_C635_Simoun_72_015.JPG

A lovely little kit. Unfortunately, my tin of H52 Baltic Blue was awful and so I replaced it with H222 Moonlight Blue. Definitely not the right colour but it produced a pleasing result.

Eastern Express 1/72 Navy Interceptor DH110 Sea Vixen FAW-2 (72284)
Eastern_Express_Sea_Vixen_72_007.JPG

The fragile decals almost had me in tears of frustration and it is a worthy candidate for re-decalling in the future!

Revell 1/72 Hien "Tony" (H-261)
Revell_Kawasaki_Hien_72_008.JPG

A quick OOB build of the Revell 1/72 Hien "Tony" (H-261). This was also an original 60's boxed issue which has been "de-rivetted". The decals were like cardboard and would not lay very well. In hindsight I would have been better to have painted the white surrounds to the meatballs.

Airfix 1/72 P-47 Thunderbolt (125)
P47_Thunderbolt_72_009.JPG

A quick OOB build of the Airfix 1/72 P-47 Thunderbolt (125). This was an original 60's polybag issue which has been "de-rivetted".

I am looking forward to getting full mobility back in my right shoulder/arm in 2017.

Dave

• Like 18

• 2 weeks later...

Nice going Dave! The first VC10 and the Scammell were two fantastic oldies-but-goodies straight out of the gate. It's nice to see someone builds more old Airfix than me. And kudos for getting a results out of the old Whirlwind kit too!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

Wow that's a huge selection of older Airfix. I like the Scammell as well but the Draken is my favourite - I built the same kit in the same scheme (ish) as a teenager, still love the look of them.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1

Thanks very much, Adrian and Will

Most of my stash of Airfix kits are of the older boxings from the 60s and 70s so there will quite a few coming along next year as well.

Dave

7 hours ago, Roman Schilhart said:

Wonderful builds here, Dave.

Was your Airfix 1/72 Piper Cherokee Arrow II (01060-5) in a recent issue of SAMI's "Classic Plastic" section?

Thanks Roman. I am afraid that the build in the magazine was not my effort!

6 hours ago, stevej60 said:

What a cracking collection Dave great to see kit's that many would run a mile from built with such care and to such a high standard.:clap2:

Thanks Steve. In truth I find I get more enjoyment building the old clunkers than I do with the latest "shake and bakes".

6 hours ago, BIG X said:

Dave - Fantastic Collection - Thanks for sharing - if I was picking a favourite it would have to be the Stuka - pretty amazing :thanks:

Thank you BIG X! The Airfix 1/24 Stuka is a favourite of mine too.

Dave

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, davecov said:

Thank you BIG X! The Airfix 1/24 Stuka is a favourite of mine too.

Dave

Hi Dave - I haven't done one yet - but I saw one in a vignette in a model shop window a few years back & it "almost" got me back into modelling - then I found this forum a few months back & that did the trick - whoa - I have very gluey fingers now :thumbsup:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BritJet said:

Lovely builds and cracking variety of subjects.

Hope the shoulder gets better soon.

Steve

Thanks Steve. With luck I will be modelling again by the end of January if the shoulder behaves it self!

12 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Hi Dave - I haven't done one yet - but I saw one in a vignette in a model shop window a few years back & it "almost" got me back into modelling - then I found this forum a few months back & that did the trick - whoa - I have very gluey fingers now :thumbsup:

Here are a few more pictures of the Stuka

Junkers_Ju87_Stuka_24_GB_162.JPG

Junkers_Ju87_Stuka_24_GB_163.JPG

Junkers_Ju87_Stuka_24_GB_166.JPG

Junkers_Ju87_Stuka_24_GB_167.JPG

Junkers_Ju87_Stuka_24_GB_168.JPG

Junkers_Ju87_Stuka_24_GB_170.JPG

Junkers_Ju87_Stuka_24_GB_171.JPG

Junkers_Ju87_Stuka_24_GB_173.JPG

Dave
  • Like 1