Burma Bandit...1/48 MiG-29S (9-13) Myanmar Airforce

Reini78

Great choice - the Myanmar markings are quite attractive. I will be following it with interest.

Just a quick note: when I designed this sheet, I determined the color call-outs by analyzing color photos. The FS matches are basically estimates.

If I were to design it today, I probably would have made an effort to match them to AKAN's line of Russian paints : I am pretty sure the colors are standard Russian colors which exist in the AKAN line. Just which ones, I am not sure - but someone who is well-versed in modern Russian colors may be able to help.

Bloody hell Reini!

I'm sure your dad has got hold of my "to do" list as all of his latest kits (either South American or Middle Eastern) are on there, including this one which I was planning to do for next years Mig-29 STGB.

One of these days I will get in first! ( Though probably not)

Craig.

10 hours ago, CaracalModels said:

Great choice - the Myanmar markings are quite attractive. I will be following it with interest.

Just a quick note: when I designed this sheet, I determined the color call-outs by analyzing color photos. The FS matches are basically estimates.

If I were to design it today, I probably would have made an effort to match them to AKAN's line of Russian paints : I am pretty sure the colors are standard Russian colors which exist in the AKAN line. Just which ones, I am not sure - but someone who is well-versed in modern Russian colors may be able to help.

Thanks, I know that the FS numbers aren´t exact matches.

Seems they are standard Russian colors, except the dark blue. My dad usually uses Gunze and Tamiya acrylics so I looked into the online intructions of the limited Eduard Su-27, because they use Gunze paints and it was of some help. 

Already chose some color(mixes) which match approximately. We´ll see how they turn out :) but still lots to do until the paintjob starts...

10 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Bloody hell Reini!

I'm sure your dad has got hold of my "to do" list as all of his latest kits (either South American or Middle Eastern) are on there, including this one which I was planning to do for next years Mig-29 STGB.

One of these days I will get in first! ( Though probably not)

Craig.

Hi Craig! ;)

Sorry. it was a destiny´s pick this time. I offered my dad an Usbek, Bangladesh and Burma version. He didn´t like the sand/brown scheme of the Uzbek one and tended more for the blue ones. In the end he chose the Myanmar version because the masking is easier to do than on the Bangladesh one.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, exdraken said:

great start!

would not have expected you to do this kit & in this scheme ;)

Yes, my dad goes modern :D

He wanted to build a MiG-29 for a longer time now and finally he started it. I convinced him to do a more exotic scheme and not one of the usual standard ones.

Initially he started with the Academy kit, using an Aires cockpit, but he didn´t get along with the cockpit, so he turned to the GWH kit. It´s a complex kit but should turn out fine. Finally we also figured out which paints/colours to use. For the underside/bright upper colour he will use the selfmixed paint he also used on the Su-7 and MiG-21F, for the middle blue colour he will use Gunze H25 Sky Blue and for the dark blue he will use a selfmix of RLM24, mixed out of Tamiya XF-8 Blue and XF-63 German Grey.

In the near future he also plans to build a Hornet or Super Hornet...

5 minutes ago, Reini78 said:

Yes, my dad goes modern :D

He wanted to build a MiG-29 for a longer time now and finally he started it. I convinced him to do a more exotic scheme and not one of the usual standard ones.

In the near future he also plans to build a Hornet or Super Hornet...

good choice!

he should think of building a Flanker... the most impressive looking  modern plane out there ... the best model out there at the moment, supposedly the Su-33 from Kinetic and apart from that related to most most  recent history.... so should suit him well I guess!

and a Mirage 2000 of course ;))

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

good choice!

he should think of building a Flanker... the most impressive looking  modern plane out there ... the best model out there at the moment, supposedly the Su-33 from Kinetic and apart from that related to most most  recent history.... so should suit him well I guess!

and a Mirage 2000 of course ;))

Well, Academy and Hobby Boss Su-27, Academy Su-30 and Kinetic Su-33 would be in our stock, Kinetic and Eduard Mirage 2000 too, so never say never ;)

• Like 1

made further progress and glued together the fuselage halves

the kit reminds somehow of Eduard, fit could be better in some regions, partly over-engineered and too many itsy bitsy tiny parts, as stated in other forums and build reports it is not a shake and bake kit

DSC_0002_zpsfbvykajw.jpg

DSC_0003_zpsxwtdvdyl.jpg

Nice progress. I've built this kit and found you got a better fit with the rear engine covers by not fitting the whole engine. From looking at you're photo you're dads maybe already taken steps to remedy this by removing some of the engine detail which could work.

Murray

2 hours ago, Muzz said:

Nice progress. I've built this kit and found you got a better fit with the rear engine covers by not fitting the whole engine. From looking at you're photo you're dads maybe already taken steps to remedy this by removing some of the engine detail which could work.

Murray

yes, that was his intention, to get better fit by removing the extra parts of the engines, let´s see..

• Like 1