1:20 Cooper T-51 scratchbuild.

Hi guys! 

I would like to present to you my current project....the car in which Jack Brabham drove to victory in the 1959 F1 championship, claiming his first title!

This started out life as an exercise in creating something from the junk and everyday crap that we all have lying around at home, in other words; cheaply!:lol:

To be honest, I shudder to think how much it's cost me so far, but I love what I'm doing!

I have a WIP on another forum which currently stands at 52 pages,with hundreds of pics, so please forgive me.....I'm veerrry sllllloooowwwww on a computer and copying /pasting that lot would take 'til next Christmas:lol:!

Some pics will follow [as soon as I work out how].;)

In the mean-time, here is link to wip http://www.f1m.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=22847

All ongoing progress will then be here!

Cheers, H

Harvey, thought I knew your name - been watching your build on F1m for ages but never put the 2 and 2 together.

Absolutely beautiful job; you should be very proud of that and nice to see another scratchbuild here. Hopefully, soon I'll be joining in on the scratch building fun here too. :)

Edited by vontrips
  • Like 1

Wow!! Thank you all for your wonderful comments ,lads...much appreciated:D

Scratch-building is more addictive than any drug I've ever known...... and you have the pleasure of saying.."I made that!":clap2: when you've done.! When someone else sees your work and gives the "Thumbs-up"......that's the only reward you need!

Cheers,H

• Like 2

That is one superb model. I wish I had the time to learn such scratching skills. Maybe when I am retired and have more time on my hands. I should be so lucky!

Cheers, Alan.

Edited by Alan R
Spelling/typo...
  • Like 1

Many thanks for your kind comments, chaps. It's always nice to get some feedback!

'Right then, a bit of an update for you.....the continuation of the ERSA gearbox. I made this from a scrap of resin.

Firstly I marked-out all the holes and drilled. Then it was just a case of filing/sanding to shape.

To do the 2 ribs on top, I used the back of a no11 blade and scribed the grooves to accept slivers of 0,3mm brass.

The gear selector and plate mounts are 1mm brass tube.

The "cooper" on top is from an etch set I had made for me.

It was then give a coat of etch-primer followed by 2 coats flat black[which wasn't very flat] and then a bit of weathering to tone down the shine.

Anyway, that's enough waffle....time for some pics!:D

cooper%20chassis%20441_zps9cjlkcel.jpgcooper%20chassis%20444_zpscmlybnmu.jpg

cooper%20chassis%20445_zpsivcgi8i3.jpg

cooper%20chassis%20446_zpsnadx4qjl.jpg

cooper%20chassis%20457_zps5kaxs0j3.jpgcooper%20chassis%20456_zpshwsib227.jpg

That's all for now, folks! I hope you enjoy!

Cheers, H

• Like 3

Yes very much enjoyment and admiration.

To you i raise my hat  - as they say in english speaking countries and i lower it, "chapeau bas" as they say in french speaking countries.

This is a very rare and beautiful historical car, beautifully modeled scratch on an absolute other modeling planet level.

Although i am increasingly scratching parts, it is still for adding on to injected parts from a bought kit, ready for glueing...... 

Like buying an already prepared and frozen Lasagna, put in the oven, watch the time, add salt and pepper... :mental:

When will i be able to cook a full lasagna from scratch ?

• Like 1

Thank you for your kind words, Sam!:)

10 hours ago, sharknose156 said:

Although i am increasingly scratching parts, it is still for adding on to injected parts from a bought kit, ready for glueing...... 

Like buying an already prepared and frozen Lasagna, put in the oven, watch the time, add salt and pepper... :mental:

When will i be able to cook a full lasagna from scratch ?

Scratchbuilding is like any other skill that one acquires in life.....like learning a trade such as carpentry or plumbing, it takes time to hone your skills. Don't be put off if it takes several failed attempts to get something right, practice makes perfect, that's how we all learn! Keep at it mate and you'll soon have "the urge".....I guarantee it!!:D

Cheers, H

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening gentlemen.

I have some more progress to share with you all......the gearbox is now completed and firmly mounted to the bell-housing, as are the shift-rods, so I'm a happy chappy now!:D   Still need to make the gearbox anchor brackets for the rear-end, but that's no biggie.

The selector plates are made from scrap ali and the 3 nuts on top made from ali and brass tubes, filed to shape.

The rest of the hardware is from T2m.

The selector rods are 0.8mm nickel-silver tube from Albion Alloys, while the universal-joint was created from 1mm nickel-silver tube, drilled and filed out. These are fully-articulated using 0.4mm brass tube and then intersected at 90degrees with a 0.3mm  rod...very fiddly, especially at this scale.

The breather tube on the side is made from 1.2mm brass tube with a thin sliver of 1mm brass rod, 0.4mm holes drilled around the top.

cooper%20chassis%20459_zpspj2cqoes.jpg

cooper%20chassis%20458_zpsoy0tblb3.jpg

cooper%20chassis%20464_zpsqqj1ceqv.jpg

cooper%20chassis%20465_zpssuxnones.jpg

cooper%20chassis%20466_zpsnvwcsfvu.jpg

cooper%20chassis%20467_zpslt4tbpyt.jpg

cooper%20chassis%20468_zpswvyobo5d.jpg

That's all for now, folks! I hope you continue enjoying my endeavours.

Merry Christmas Everybody!

Cheers, H

• Like 2