1/48 Trumpeter Westland Whirlwind

Thanks Martian and Keith for the kind words and support. I seem to be at a bit of a low point, struggling to get over a hump and move on!

So... back at the bench and after a couple of days of sanding and filling I managed to knock off one of the Fowler flap guides that protrude at the aft end of the flaps.. this makes about the third time that I have managed to remove one of them. They have been replaced at least twice with carved sprew... Sigh.. 

What I decided that I have learned from this experience, is one, I should seriously consider replacing all of these protruding bits with brass firmly anchored to the airframe. Like I have done with the pitot tube and antenna mast, and two... that my work space was way too cluttered and that added to my problems..

35085544566_f87d1f6b51_c.jpg

I admit to being rather a messy creator, (you should see the inside of my head!) but I am starting to see the benefits of have room to swing a cat! (without knocking off the sticky-out bits!)

So as a general first step in the campaign to ORGANIZE MY WORKSPACE, I decided to build a set of shelves for the paint and other jars of stuff.

Scrounging some peg board and slats of various woods I set to work. 

34280578824_e64a36e50e_c.jpg

Room is at a premium in my shop that does double duty as a woodshop (god help me when I start painting the crikey!), so I tried to fit the shelving into the existing space. A couple of coats of paint ,( the weather has improved), and here I am today... Doesn't that work space look lovely... Like Paul Budzik's! HA!

34738701570_670d4e2fcc_c.jpg

Of course now I have to clutter it up with all the stuff that was there before and is now on the table saw!

35085544866_e81da5157f_c.jpg

So that is what I have been doing .... model avoidance on a large though thoroughly rationalized scale!... 

But I did build something! (felt good!)

I think that I needed to take a bit of a breather in the build and gain some perspective... It's not going to be perfect... but that's is not the point!!! I will see if I can keep my eye on the prize and soldier on!

Thanks for your patience and understanding! 

Terry

I forgot to add that it felt so good to do some work today that I treated myself to:

34994387081_8e84306319_c.jpg

I usually lean toward stouts and porters, but one of our local brewers has come out with a pilsner that is quite tasty. A little hoppy but you can get away from hops and live in the Northwest!.. 

Cheers you guys, 

Hope your modeling is progressing nicely!

• Like 5

I like the idea for making the most of your workspace, however you have forgotten one of the unavoidable laws of modelling. This is that mess will expand exponentially in respect to the space available. I wonder how I know this?

Martian the Messy

• Like 1

So after breaking off the flap guide once again.... I decided to replace them with brass... 

Sculpted the guide in brass rod:

34323638924_3cf6d7c3b3_c.jpg

And then soldered a bit of brass sheet to the end hidden inside the wing:

35128614966_c9aacd62bd_c.jpg

Cleaned up the over-solder and did a bit more sculpting:

34323641174_c7634746a6_c.jpg

Glued in place with epoxy:

35128616756_4fd6580270_c.jpg

I'll let the epoxy cure over night and then clean it up a bit... 

Thanks Martian for the sage advice.. too true.. like my basement.. the clutter does grow to fill the available space...

Keith, I am glad to know that there are others out there who work in a "messy" environment.. Reminds me of an old carton, where a scientist is showing someone around his lab and the gentleman comments on the mess. The scientist says "If you think this is bad you should see the inside of my head!"

Cheers,

Terry

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sprueloose said:

Thanks Martian for the sage advice.. too true.. like my basement.. the clutter does grow to fill the available space...

Keith, I am glad to know that there are others out there who work in a "messy" environment.. Reminds me of an old carton, where a scientist is showing someone around his lab and the gentleman comments on the mess. The scientist says "If you think this is bad you should see the inside of my head!"

It sounds exactly like me as a great many Britmodellers will attest.

It looks like those flap guides aren't going anywhere soon; good work.

Martian of the Messy Head

• 1 month later...

So it's been awhile since I posted to this thread and that represents the intervention of life and all it's nasty bits and frankly I hit a wall with this build. But I did make a bit more progress. I gave the "new" model another complete shot of primer after deciding that my bits of foil on the wings had to be removed. So after hours of sanding and filling and sanding :

35608303753_74b2f26ab0_c.jpg

Then more time spent burnishing the primer and re-scribing panel lines on the wings:

35608305743_8583e09c5d_c.jpg

You can see the patches of distressed plastic where the foil had been. More sanding...

36279394311_16956ea8e3_c.jpg 

Finally some scribing:

36279394921_81f29d446c_c.jpg

Night flier anyone?

36415892625_a387b805a3_c.jpg

Finally I gave both models a coat of Vallejo Metal Color acrylic Duraluminium:

36019367880_6006682711_b.jpg

My plan was to then coat it with hairspray or the equivalent medium to allow me to scratch through the camo layer and reveal the aluminum since the plane that I am representing was heavily weathered that way..

And that is where my mojo left me back in June or was it July? Anyway I think that I was getting too "precious" with the darn thing and afraid to screw it up with the camo and the painted markings... sigh.  So I set it aside and looked for something that I wasn't worried about messing up....

Enter the old (1985) Monogram de Havilland Mosquito kit that I got for almost nothing... I will start a new thread to show you the fun that I am having with that... and I will be back to continue this build soon I hope.

Thanks for baring with me!

Terry

• Like 3

Good to see an update Terry, I was actually wondering over the weekend whether this had been forever banished to the shelf of doom!!

Can you post a link here to your Mossie thread so we can see what you're up to with that golden oldie?!

ATB

Keith

7 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Good to see an update Terry, I was actually wondering over the weekend whether this had been forever banished to the shelf of doom!!

Can you post a link here to your Mossie thread so we can see what you're up to with that golden oldie?!

ATB

Keith

Thanks for checking in Keith. I am sure that I will get the Crikie moving again soon. It's been so hot here (40 degrees C) that I didn't think airbrushing would be a good idea!

Terry

12 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Great to see this underway again. I am looking forward to seeing the paint going on.

Martian

Thanks for checking on me Martian. The weather is still a bit too hot for painting I think, but I think that it will be sooner than later..

I have been enjoying your tug build. Wish that I could scratch build as cleanly!

Terry

• Like 3