I had planned to do a figure, I wanted to make a model of a certain mustachioed, short-bottomed, bandy-legged, skinny British private from the Irish Division at Gallipoli in 1915 a.k.a my Great Grandfather but I haven't got an appropriate kit and frankly, I don't have the skill to do this anyway.

I've therefore decided to make Eduard's 1/48th Hanriot HD.1 in Italian markings, haven't decided which of the four options to choose yet.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 15/07/2018 at 11:24, Blitz23 said:

Do I dare attempt my first biplane ever for this GB, have a Fokker tri plane and D Vii in my stash. 

Go for it Blitz, they are both low to no rigging types, so would make a good entry to biplanes.

On 15/07/2018 at 20:11, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I've been thinking about doing a Fokker Triplane too.....Well, 'The Fokker Triplane' if you know what I mean?  Yup, that's it.....The red one!  ;)

You too Sgt, (you'd be welcomr to add a tank or two into the mix too ;) )

On 16/07/2018 at 09:21, Touvdal said:

I would like to enter this GB

Cheers

Jes

You are very welcome Jes :)

On 17/07/2018 at 19:27, Wez said:

I had planned to do a figure, I wanted to make a model of a certain mustachioed, short-bottomed, bandy-legged, skinny British private from the Irish Division at Gallipoli in 1915 a.k.a my Great Grandfather but I haven't got an appropriate kit and frankly, I don't have the skill to do this anyway.

I've therefore decided to make Eduard's 1/48th Hanriot HD.1 in Italian markings, haven't decided which of the four options to choose yet.

Well, the Hanriot is very welcome, IMO, one of the prettiest aircraft ever.

On 19/07/2018 at 21:40, Miroslav said:

Hello gents,

I'm in with Albatros D.V, EDUARD, ProfiPACK, 1/48

Cheers

And one of the most beautiful too.

You are both very welcome

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 7:32 PM, Robert Stuart said:

You too Sgt, (you'd be welcomr to add a tank or two into the mix too ;) )

Desperately trying to finish off my Thunderbolt.....After the Sherman GB, this one was my priority for the year, so I will be in one way or another, but I've given away most of my WWI AFV kits!  :doh:

I've still got a few Emhar 1/72 kits, but I'm not too enthusiastic about them and also the Flyhawk 1/72 Renault FT-17 which is excellent but rather fiddly.....I'm actually better equipped on the softskin front with a few RPM kits from their Model T Ford and Mack Bulldog ranges.

• Like 1

OK, OK.....I'll build a vehicle of some kind!  :tomato:

But I'm still gonna do the Red Baron, 'cos I want to make a silly figure for him to wind up those who take this all too seriously!  :P

What would be a suitable contemporary opponent for him.....I'd be looking for a simple easy to build kit with minimal rigging.  The rigging bit is very important.  :shrug:

• Haha 1

I'm trying to decide what to build...

I was going to build a Dr.I - though not a red one, or at least, not red all over, but we have two of those already.

I've narrowed my choice down to three options ...

2018-11H-000.jpg

Roden BE2, 1/48.  There is some paint on this kit, but I intend cleaning that off, and starting again.

2018-11H-001.jpg

Dragon's Fokker Dr.I.  I don't particularly like the scheme in the box, so I'd build something different ...

... but not ALL RED either, that would be too much of a good thing ;)

2018-11H-002.jpg

Formaplane Albatros BII, 1/72.  This is a vac-form kit, so something of a challenge

Which one should I build?  I doubt I'd build more than one of these by November.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 4:53 PM, Robert Stuart said:

Which one should I build?

I'd vote for #3.....Vac-form builds fascinate me, I've bought a couple of simple kits (Curtis A-10 & A-12 Shrikes IIRC) and one lunatic one (YB-49), but not summoned up the courage to attack one yet.  :coolio:

#1 looks like fun too.....I'm guessing those are our future Gulf allies on the horses, chasing the Turks?  :rolleyes:

Any suggestions for a victim of the Red Baron?  Assuming you can point me at a reasonably sane subject I will attempt to rig it.....A simple two-seater would be ideal.  :pray:

Recommendations for WWI pilot figures would be welcome (if somebody actually makes a Richthofen figure I'll use it, but it will still get a scarf).  ;)

• Like 1

Sarge, there is a listing of the Red Baron's scoreboard here by aircraft type:         https://www.thoughtco.com/red-barons-kills-1779886

At a quick glance, I don't see any of the Allied aircraft having a simple rigging like that of the Fokker Dr.I

For pilots, assuming you are working 1/72 scale?  

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/DDS72003

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/PJ721111

http://www.aires.cz/en/catalog/?search=austro&searchButton.x=0&searchButton.y=0&category=13

Note last link has 1/48 and 1/72 listed together.

regards,

Jack

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I'd vote for #3.....Vac-form builds fascinate me, I've bought a couple of simple kits (Curtis A-10 & A-12 Shrikes IIRC) and one lunatic one (YB-49), but not summoned up the courage to attack one yet.  :coolio:

#1 looks like fun too.....I'm guessing those are our future Gulf allies on the horses, chasing the Turks?  :rolleyes:

Any suggestions for a victim of the Red Baron?  Assuming you can point me at a reasonably sane subject I will attempt to rig it.....A simple two-seater would be ideal.  :pray:

Recommendations for WWI pilot figures would be welcome (if somebody actually makes a Richthofen figure I'll use it, but it will still get a scarf).  ;)

Thanks Sgt.  The Albatros (#3, vac-form) and the BE 2 (#1 Roden) both have the virtue of not necessaily requiring armament. 

As to an opponent for the Red Baron's Dr. 1, based on Jack's link and the regular availability of the Dr. 1, I'd suggest an SE 5a, a Camel, or a Brisfit (in order of percieved difficulty).  They will all present problems with attaching the top plane and have rigging.

20 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

They will all present problems with attaching the top plane

I find this bit more worrying than the end of the sentence.....I smell Roden!  :unsure:

Let's see how the (1/72 Revell) Fokker goes.....

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I find this bit more worrying than the end of the sentence.....I smell Roden!  :unsure:

You could make a jig to help align the wings - expanded polystyrene sheet (ceiling tile) is good ... just don't get glue on it - or card (but I find card too stiff).

OK, I'm going with the Albatros - thanks Sgt!

• Like 1

Haynes Publishing is delighted to sponsor the Britmodeller Eleventh Hour GB with prizes for first, second and third place overall. These will be:

1st Place – Signed copy of the Royal Aircraft Factory S.E.5 Owners’ Manual by Nick Garton (Britmodeller’s @maltadefender )

The other prizes will be :

Copy of the British Tommy Manual

Copy of the WW1 Tank Owners’ Manual

The Britmodeller in second place will have the choice.

John Haynes OBE wrote and published his first book, on building an Austin 7 Special, whilst he was still at school in 1956. He wrote two more ‘Special' builders' manuals while doing his National Service in the RAF. The first 'proper' Haynes Owners Workshop Manual, for the Austin Healey ‘Frogeye’ Sprite, was published in 1966. Haynes Manuals are now described as ‘chapter and verse on anything - from BMWs to Bob the Builder, when you want to know about a subject inside and out.’

In recent years the range of ‘Special Interest’ manuals on landmark vehicles have combined traditional type histories with guides to their restoration, ownership and enjoyment today. Small wonder that Haynes Manuals have become a handy tool in the arsenal of committed model builders, who find detailed component images, diagrams and a wealth of background information to help them detail their builds.

For full information on the range of special interest manuals from Haynes, please visit:

https://haynes.com/en-gb/general-interest-manuals

Haynes will be promoting the Group Build through its social media channels and publishing photos of the prize-winning builds after they are announced. Stay tuned via @HaynesManuals or https://www.facebook.com/haynesmanuals/

Many thanks to @maltadefender for arranging the sponsorship.

20180-EleventhH-new.jpg

• Like 6

On 25/07/2018 at 22:20, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Hi Sarge,

If you're going to build Revell's 1/72 Fokker Dr.I you may find my WIP thread of that kit useful (you'll only be able to see the pictures if you're using Firefox or Chrome with the Photobucket add-on, as I haven't moved the pictures yet).

The RFI is here.

It's a nice little kit, well detailed and the rigging is minimal.

Cheers

Jaime

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Sadly I'm using neither browser.....IE is the only one that works with this forum for me now.  :(

The RFI pictures are visible in any browser, as I've moved them from Photobucket.

Cheers

Jaime

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

Do you know what you are planning to build?

Well I do have a Wingnut Sopwith Snipe in the stash so this might be an ideal opportunity to have a crack at it... :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stew Dapple said:

Well I do have a Wingnut Sopwith Snipe in the stash so this might be an ideal opportunity to have a crack at it... :) 

Cheers,

Stew

The early version? Or a backdated 'late' version? Yes that would be grand :)

I'm entertaining the idea of entering the GB with this build:

7046.jpg

It was the first full metal aircraft used in the Great War and has the advantage of having no rigging at all. If I go ahead, I'll build scheme C ( the one on the box art).

Details on the kit, including the instructions pdf can be found here.

Before I start, I have to finish my Defiant, which I didn't manage to finish in time in the RAF Anniversary GB, and, possibly, another build. So, at best, I'd start this one in September.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Robert Stuart said:

Looks intriguing Jamie, I'll watch with interest when you do start - that camouflage would stretch my patience.

Thanks, Robert. Fortunately, the coloured pattern behind the cockpit is done with decals. However, the front part of the fuselage and the top surfaces of wings and tail plane require painting of the green-purple camouflage.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2