Group Build Dates: 21 July to 11 November 2018

---

I'm a little surprised that I haven't seen this suggested already... but, we'll be commemorating the end of the Great War in 2018, and I feel we should think about a group build, so...

Land, sea and air, models of any military or support equipment or personnel used by any country involved in the Great War, 1914 to 1918.  

Standard Group Build rules, and No what ifs

What do you think guys?

{edit 12 Mar 2017}

Title changed from 1918 - 2018, 100 years after the end of WWl

to Eleventh Hour GB: 1918-2018, commemorating the end of WWl

Thanks to TigerTony66 for suggesting the Eleventh Hour

{/edit}

Yes, I know it's the armistice, and the war didn't end until 1919, but ...

General Theme GB

1. Robert Stuart - host
  2. Wyverns4 - co-host
  3. Arniec
  4. Kallisti
  5. Blastvader
  6. Murdo
  7. JackG
  8. Ozzy
  9. CliffB
  10. Basilisk
  11. Wez
  12. whitestar12chris
  13. Blitz23
  14. Jb65rams
  15. charlie_c67
  16. PlaStix
  17. jrlx
  18. stevehed
  19. Grey Beema
  20. Sgt.Squarehead
  21. 825
  22. TonyTiger66
  23. Sabre_days
  24. limeypilot
  25. Bonhoff
  26. alancmlaird
  27. SleeperService
  28. stevehnz
  29. Ray S
  30. Plasto
  31. Corsairfoxfouruncle
  32. krow113
  33. sampanzer
  34. planecrazee
  35. Peter Lloyd
  36. John D C Masters

• Like 1

Hi Robert,

Great idea!

Count me in and I would be happy to co-host if nobody else stands forward.

Christian, exiled to africa 

• Like 1

I am interested. I think I still have got a few Fokkers and a Nieuport lying around somewhere.

Would love to do a Battle ship from WW 1, so maybee i should look around for one.

Cheers,

• Like 1

On 12/5/2016 at 10:42 AM, Robert Stuart said:

Thanks Christian, you are very welcome 

Wasnt Tanzania was involved in the war?

Yup! German East Africa, (Tanzania), fought against British East Africa, (now Kenya and Uganda) in an almost totally forgotten campaign. A number of the old battlefields are still pretty much as they were left when the troops pulled out. In the Tsavos, (I forget which; either East or West), the barbed wire entanglements still stand with their tin can rattles attached. Unfortunately there is not much published and even less to model.

Christian, exiled to africa  

5 hours ago, wyverns4 said:

Unfortunately there is not much published and even less to model.

Regrettably, yes - sub-Saharan Africa is pretty well ignored until you get down to South Africa, and even there the supply of kits is limited. :(

4 hours ago, Kallisti said:

This is totally appropriate and in my opinion shouldn't even have to go through the Group Build vote process next year!

Count me in!

You are very welcome Kallisti.  I wonder if Mike or Enzo will take your hint? ;)

1 hour ago, Blastvader said:

I'm in. I built a 1/72 Whippet in the 1914 GB. I'd be well up for another WW1 subject in a couple of years time.

And you too Blastvader, a Whippet would be great 👍 

• Like 1

On 07/12/2016 at 0:12 AM, Robert Stuart said:

You are welcome, Murdo, wonder what it is? 

HMY Iolaire.

iolaire_hmy_iolaire_big_pic_1_1_02_zpshm

260766175_2abaa7d487_o_zpsawjuamaq.jpg

The Iolaire Disaster was probably one of the saddest incidents of WW1. On New Years Eve 1918, HMY Iolaire was bringing servicemen home from the British mainland to the Isle of Lewis (and Harris). They were returning from the horrors of the Western Front or the Atlantic convoys and U-boats after 4 years of war. 

There was violent storm that night and the Iolaire hit rocks called the "Beasts of Holm" at the entrance to Stornoway harbour at around 2am on the 1st of January. 205 soldiers and sailors drowned. They were only about 50 yards from the shore but the storm was so bad that they couldn't get to shore and the waves killed many of them by dashing them on the rocks. Of the 205 men lost, 175 were from the islands and the rest were Royal Navy. 

Iolaire is the Gaelic for Eagle and is pronounced something like yollareh but the ship is always pronounced as eye-oh-lair. "The Iolaire" is still usually mentioned in hushed tones in the Western Isles almost 100 years later. In fact it was such a disaster that even today it is not readily discussed on the island. The cause of the accident was never established.

If anyone thinks it might be inappropriate then I'll happily choose something else.

• Like 3

On 12/9/2016 at 3:41 AM, Murdo said:

HMY Iolaire.

iolaire_hmy_iolaire_big_pic_1_1_02_zpshm

260766175_2abaa7d487_o_zpsawjuamaq.jpg

The Iolaire Disaster was probably one of the saddest incidents of WW1. On New Years Eve 1918, HMY Iolaire was bringing servicemen home from the British mainland to the Isle of Lewis (and Harris). They were returning from the horrors of the Western Front or the Atlantic convoys and U-boats after 4 years of war. 

There was violent storm that night and the Iolaire hit rocks called the "Beasts of Holm" at the entrance to Stornoway harbour at around 2am on the 1st of January. 205 soldiers and sailors drowned. They were only about 50 yards from the shore but the storm was so bad that they couldn't get to shore and the waves killed many of them by dashing them on the rocks. Of the 205 men lost, 175 were from the islands and the rest were Royal Navy. 

Iolaire is the Gaelic for Eagle and is pronounced something like yollareh but the ship is always pronounced as eye-oh-lair. "The Iolaire" is still usually mentioned in hushed tones in the Western Isles almost 100 years later. In fact it was such a disaster that even today it is not readily discussed on the island. The cause of the accident was never established.

If anyone thinks it might be inappropriate then I'll happily choose something else.

Well, my Great-Great Uncle was lost aboard HMY Iolaire and I have no problem.

Christian, exiled and transported to africa

• Like 1

This GB has my support, I'd also want to do something completely out of my comfort zone in doing a figure, I'd like to make a model of my Great Grandfather who was in the Hampshire Regiment which was part of the Irish Division and died from wounds sustained in the initial landings at Gallipoli in 1915.  He's buried in the Commonwealth War Grave near Alexandria.

A very fitting GB and one that I feel should run for the whole year and should forego the poll process.

Count me in.

Wez

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Basilisk said:

Great idea. Even though the time period isn't where my interests are, I have to admit that the only armor in my stash are from the Great War period as these early tanks are so different. So please add me to the list.

Cheers, Peter

Thanks Peter, I'd be fascinated to see you build a WWI tank - you are very welcome