22 FTS Prentice help required

Mr T

i am currently building a Skybirds 86 Prentice T1, which I intend finishing as a 22FTS machine flying from RAF Syerston in Nottinghamshire in the early 1950's. I have found a small photo in an old 'Aviation News' of VS616 'OT' which would appear to belong to the right unit (O being one of the letters used by 22FTS for their Prentices). There appears to be a unit badge on the cowling, but the picture is way too small to show what it could be, other than looking like a standard frame for authorised unit badges (the blue circular ones surmounted by a crown with a scroll below with motto or unit name). Does anybody have any information. It is a good build as you have to use to take care ans follow the instructions.

Thanks , Martin

• Like 1

Found a B/W image of the 22 FTS badge on page 219 of the classic AIRCRAFT MARKINGS OF THE WORLD 1912-1967 by Bruce Robertson. Unfortunately no color information was given, but i suppose that the anchor is yellow/gold, silver spear head and brown shaft, black/brown book cover.

0000124M.jpg

Hope this will help.

Jun in Tokyo

https://www.flickr.com/photos/horaburo/albums

• Like 1

Thanks for that, I have the book and did not think to look at it. Given the role that 22FTS had in basic training of naval pilots it seems an appropriate badge

I appreciate you looking, it has been most helpful.

On 04/12/2016 at 10:07 PM, Martin T said:

I am currently building a Skybirds 86 Prentice T1, .............................. It is a good build as you have to use to take care and follow the instructions.

+1 on that although mine is waiting for the courage to mask the canopy. Very good internal detail too.

Firstly, I only know about the skybird 86 prentice from a snippet on another website and I am assuming that it is in 1/72 scale: if that is incorrect just ignore the following.

The RAFDec decal sheet 7213 covers eight schemes for hawker hunters, but-possibly to fill up space- there are five squadron crests included as extras, one of which is for 22fts with a placement illustration showing a piston provost. Hannants are currently showing two sheets available.I hope that helps.

Thanks very much for that,I may have the sheet somewhere as I was planning on an early Hunter. Yes it is 1/72nd and very big for a primary trainer, bigger than a Hurricane with about a quarter of the power.