RAFG Buccaneers

shatters

Morning all,

For my next project I plan to build an Airfix 1/72 Buccaneer from 16 Squadron RAF during the 70's.To show the RAFG Buccaneers role as an overland strike aircraft I wish to show an external bomb load of 1000lb iron bombs.

My questions are can the Buccaneer carry 3 1000lb bombs on each of the underwing pylons, total load 12000lbs ? Are the iron bombs from Revell's Tornado gr1 suitable ? And where can I obtain the suitable bomb carriers ?

Many thanks in advance

Phil

The answer (I think) is yes but.  Their is a photo of trails installation of XV350 fitted with 4 Triple Election Racks (TER) each with 3 x 100lb free fall bombs.  However this was a trial installation and led to a long take off run.  The option was not taken up by the RAF on cost grounds.  (source Buccaneer by Tim Laming)

George

• Like 1

I think that service Buccaneers would only carry 4 x 1000lb bombs underwings on four hardpoints.

Looking at pics, the common 'daily' load for 16 Sqn Buccs seems to be 2 CBLs and slipper tanks, or 1 CBL and an ECM pod.

16 squadron was WE177 (nuke capable), so assuming this would translate to 1 (with ECM pod) or 2 WE177 bombs externally in war use.

Edited by 71chally

The Buccaneer could carry four 1000lb'ers internally and given the shorter range required flying from Germany, not sure they would carry any externally, just a thought.

Found this photo -

10-1.jpg

The triple bomb carriers are very similar to the US TERs that can be found in Hasegawas weapons sets.

EDIT - found a book excerpt with a photo and caption too that may help a little, seems they maybe got trialled with up to 12 external 1000 pounders - https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=YH6h8ND6t8EC&pg=PA71-IA10&lpg=PA71-IA10&dq=buccaneer+1000lb&source=bl&ots=3pOOXlI1F1&sig=m7hwtNA0fGyIOfnr9cAGDUKSQW4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjjy92FyNrQAhVJ1SwKHb_XAYMQ6AEIVTAI#v=onepage&q=buccaneer 1000lb&f=false

Edited by RMP2
Added link

The 1970's was a transition period for the Bucc' fleet, changes in colour scheme with the introduction of wrap-around camouflage and you'd have to look at the timing of the introduction of any ECM pods etc.  For instance, it may be inappropriate to model an early 70's Bucc' with a late 70's fit. 

Your best bet as always, is to look at lots of pictures from that period and base your model on those, if that raises more questions ask here adding the links (which would be most helpful).

1 hour ago, Dr Evil said:

I think in theory they could, but in practice unlikely.

IIRC four in the bomb bay, slipper tanks and either another couple or AAM/ECM on the outboards was more typical.

The online bible below might give you inspiration, over 100 weapon loadouts listed...

http://www.blackburn-buccaneer.co.uk/Contents.html

That site helps loads, will settle for 3 x 1000lb and ecm pod for 16 squadron, thanks for all the replies everyone.

Phil

The triple bomb carriers were as far as I am aware were not used on the squadrons . 
That particular role fit also included 4x1000lb in the bomb bay, total 16000lb .
However the view at the time was it would need to air to air refuel soon after take off having only internal fuel,plus the RAFG aircraft did not have refuelling probes fitted.

Regarding the ECM pod there was one on each wing leading edge 2/3 out from the wing fold hinge, these were replaced by pylon mounted pod 76/77 around the same time the bomb door tanks arrived.Another armanent fit could be a Paveway trials a/c with an aquisition pod on from memory was on the port outer pylon,and the Paveway bomb 1000 pounder on the stbd outer this was about mid 79.

KOALA   

22 minutes ago, Koala said:

The triple bomb carriers were as far as I am aware were not used on the squadrons . 
That particular role fit also included 4x1000lb in the bomb bay, total 16000lb .
However the view at the time was it would need to air to air refuel soon after take off having only internal fuel,plus the RAFG aircraft did not have refuelling probes fitted.

Regarding the ECM pod there was one on each wing leading edge 2/3 out from the wing fold hinge, these were replaced by pylon mounted pod 76/77 around the same time the bomb door tanks arrived.Another armanent fit could be a Paveway trials a/c with an aquisition pod on from memory was on the port outer pylon,and the Paveway bomb 1000 pounder on the stbd outer this was about mid 79.

KOALA   

Small point, the wing leading edge pointy fairings were passive warning, not active ecm systems, the fairings and pylon mounted ALQ-101 pod were both still in use at the end of the Buccs RAF service.

The RAFG Buccs offensive load was usually carried in the bomb bay (not a 100% rule, but mostly).

Slipper tanks were the norm due to no inflight refuelling. Early 70's could have more mud moving goodies on the outboard pylons, ( Matra rocket pods etc)

After the ALQ101 ECM pod intro, O/B's would have ECM & AIM 9B. Note that the RAFG Buccs had the remaining stocks of 9B's for exclusive use.

The ECM was on the port O/B & AIM 9 on the stbd. This was the opposite way round to the usual fit of the UK Sqns!

A note on WE177 carriage. They were never carried external. Only on stations 9 & 10 in the bomb bay. These were side by side in the middle to allow fitment of aerodynamic fairings at the front & rear of the bomb bay.

Stns 9 & 10 were purely "special" weapon carriage.

Rob.

• Like 3

For the 1970's time period Any 1000lb bombs  you use should not have a proximity sensor nose or adaptor ring fitted between the tail and the bomb body as these were features introduced with Tornado in the early 1980's. Tornado kit bombs may have one or both fitted.

This picture shows both of these items they are the  shiny ring  and the shiny nose, the MACE  suspension lugs are tornado only, buccaneer would have the more usual bail  type lugs as well.

http://media.photobucket.com/user/AucklandRanger/media/Gulf Photos/BombsatHAS3.jpg.html?filters[term]=1,000lb&filters[primary]=images&filters[secondary]=videos&sort=1&o=2

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn

15 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

A note on WE177 carriage. They were never carried external. Only on stations 9 & 10 in the bomb bay. These were side by side in the middle to allow fitment of

Good point, I had forgoten about that station 9 & 10 only bit, so essentially the 16 Sqn Buccs would have been clean in combat (apart from slipper tanks)?

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

Good point, I had forgoten about that station 9 & 10 only bit, so essentially the 16 Sqn Buccs would have been clean in combat (apart from slipper tanks)?

I'd say an  AN/ALQ-101 would be likely as well.

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1