Eduard's latest 1/72 Fw.190A-5 release decal question

Wm Blecky

I haven't seen anyone mention this yet, so I guess I will.

When I initially saw the drawings for Eduard's newest Fw.190A-5 Light Fighter release, I was pretty pleased.  The pre-release artwork looked very promising:

SNAG-0000+10.07.43.jpg

It was the decal sheet that I was really after, more specifically, this particular portion of the decal sheet:

9c31ac362a3c6438ed8604fef26f683e.jpg

When Eduard released the kit, not only had the orientation of the artwork changed, but so did the decal:

1015044-16559-65-720.jpg

The crest changed from a blue background to a hideous looking orange color:

7439_04.jpg

I contacted Eduard and had a pleasant conversation with one of the staff there who told me that this change was based on a conversation/information provided by Eric Mombeek.  Surely someone at Eduard misunderstood something here - yes???

Of all the pictures that I have ever seen of this particular crest, they have always had the blue background.  Is what Eduard provided on their decal sheet correct?  Can anyone here further enlighten me?  Thanks!!!

I'll add this picture from Asisbiz's website.  Albeit that this is a Fw.190A-4 in the picture, you can see the crest I reference above and although black and white, the portion that Eduard has chosen to colour orange, sure looks a lot lighter to my eyes, say BLUE maybe?

5 hours ago, Wm Blecky said:

I contacted Eduard and had a pleasant conversation with one of the staff there who told me that this change was based on a conversation/information provided by Eric Mombeek.  Surely someone at Eduard misunderstood something here - yes???

Maybe Eric Mombeek and Eduard are full of turkey feathers. One of the perils of being an "expert" is that you are subject to public ridicule if you don't provide substantial evidence to support your conclusions. "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" . I, for one, am tired of debates regarding which "expert" to believe. Let them present the evidence and let the assembled model builders make the decision-- or assemble a model-- either way.

• Like 2

you'd need to get hold of a copy of one of Erik's publications to see the evidence ( I think it was presented in his 'Luftwaffe Gallery' issue 4) , but it was largely reprised in an issue of Jet & Prop magazine a while ago now!  The 'devil' is red, the sky is yellow. This is I should say much more of a clear-cut case than the JG 1 'checker' cowls saga - which were only ever white/black (not red or yellow)

jetandprop.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

FalkeEins is correct in his reference to Lu/Ga No.4. To quote Erik Mombeeck's text.

"It has long been assumed that the devil appeared against a blue sky background on these emblems, although a recently published colour photo indicates that the fires of hell have in fact turned the 'sky' a deep yellow-red colour"

I checked and Barry Ketley also has the red-yellow background for this emblem. I can only guess that this is based on the same evidence.

I doubt that either are 'full of turkey feathers'.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

Thanks Steve and everyone else.  Well, I may have preferred the blue, but if that orange is correct, guess I'll have to roll with it, lest I be consumed by those fires of hell!  LOL

• Like 1

I don't know where it was published. I think 'recently' is actually several years ago now. Lu/Ga No.4 was published in 2013, so the 2012 Jet and Prop issue which FalkeEins mentioned would have been recent at the time of its writing.  Maybe the photograph was published there, but I don't have it to check.

My revised edition of Ketley's Luftwaffe Emblems is also dated 2012, so in the same time frame. He, confusingly, has the later IV./JG 1 emblem with a blue sky, but the earlier 2./JGr 101 emblem with the yellow-red sky. He does not have the later, JG 1 emblem with a yellow - red sky as I first thought.

It is quite impossible to tell from the B+W photographs I have seen of the JG 1 emblem, so I would go with Mr Mombeeck's evidence. If this is really important to you, then you could contact Erik Mombeeck and ask him. You can do this via his website.

http://www.luftwaffe.be/

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Stonar
error

I've read several things here that lead me to believe that a color photograph of this insignia exists. All I'm asking for is a chance to verify this with my own eyes. This is why all respectable historians list their sources (not to discourage plagiarism). I'm not asking anyone to publish a copyrighted image. I'm asking to be told where the image has been published (if it has) so that I may legally acquire a copy and look for myself. Thanks for the link.

Well here for the people. 

The artickle in Jet und Prop is written by Peter Rodeike, who is a highly respected historian and researcher.

Untitled-1_2.jpg

This image i found on some Ebay auction i think.

JG_1_D1.jpg

cheers

Jes

• Like 1

Gracias. Now that we've settled that, we can move on the to the unfortunate use of an isometric projection view in their box art image.  Gotta remember to switch to perspective view!

Thank you, ladies and gentlemen! I'll be here all week!

• 7 months later...

Hello all!  For some reason the pictures posted on 6 Dec 2016 will not pull up on my computer, can someone tell me what the final verdict is, yellow or blue background?   I'm doing a bit of research into what Karl Demuth's FW-190 may have looked like before he went to fly the He-162.  Back in the mid 1980s a buddy of mine located Mr Demuth who by chance had settled in South Florida.  He and his wife were a little apprehensive at first, they may have thought we were looking for him to give him a hard time for flying for the Third Reich, but we ended up going to his house and had a very enjoyable visit, he even signed my Revell Germany He-162 Box.  He had a photo on the wall of a FW-190 with the black and white cowl stripes as well as the two JG1 emblems which he also carried on his He-162.  It looked a lot like the markings given in the Eduard kit. I've read that he was shot down in a FW that had Black 11 markings , and that 11 was his personal aircraft marking, but my memory fails me if he said anything about this during our visit.  Sadly I heard he has since passed on.   Thanks for any info, best wishes from the Sunshine State, Ed

Hope its correct. Im planning on purchasing that kit because of that very set of markings. FalkeEins I'd like to thank you. i've used your advice on several of my Luftwaffe builds. Your information is very helpful. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
Additional content

Yes, based on what members here have responded with as well as further digging on the net, it is indeed the orange coloured background and not the blue one.  Eduard's 190A-5 decal sheet is correct.

HTH.

Whilst keeping in mind Nick Millman's wise axiom ("logical assumption is the opposite of research"): when you think about it, a fiery yellow orange background makes more sense for a demon, than a pleasant blue sky!

• 2 years later...
3 hours ago, Milos Gazdic said:

Is it possible to receive the second photo posted by Jes in a PM by anyone having it?
TIA
M

Have a look through this thread, especially at my post to follow the search terms that Ed Russell suggests, ie, "photobucket fix for (whatever browser you use) add-on", the photobucket fix I got from there worked perfectly when I clicked the blurred photos above. I use Chrome.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Milos Gazdic said:

@stevehnz I have tried & installed the add on you suggested but it doesn't seem to work for me :( Thank you very much anyhow! 

If I click on the two images above, they open in  another tab with no PB nonsense on them.  That is using Chrome. If you can't get them to work, PM me your email address & I'll send them to you as attachments.

Steve.