Hello all,

Here is another refugee from the recent Airliner group build. This is the Fly 1/144 kit boxed by Karaya with markings for TWA. Those interested can find the build thread here... 

The kit itself is simple to build and has a bit of scope for improvements, some of which I've covered in the build. Likewise, the decals from Ray Charles at 26decals are easy to use and give a nice simple, clean colour scheme. One thing I've left off is the very pale grey anti-glare panel beneath the windscreen. The decal didn't work for me so I'll paint it on at a later date (ie "never").

20161203_143533.jpg

20161203_143543.jpg

20161203_143554_001.jpg

20161203_143657.jpg

20161203_143855.jpg

So there it is, one of three almost completed. Feel free to comment, query, critique as you see fit.

Many thanks 

Jeff 

• Like 18

Beautiful model Jeff.  Your build thread is a reference work for anyone else building the DC-9 family.

Just one little suggestion - when you're attending to the anti-glare panel how about treating the model to an Authentic Airliners windscreen?  I wish Ray would make his windscreens as effective as his cabin windows, an issue which troubled me a bit when I was doing the Donaldson Britannia.

Dave G

Thanks for all your kind comments.

The black overwing markings came on the decal sheet and I think I've seen a picture of this aircraft where the top side of the wing is just visible and it does look as though it is indeed black. There's not many markings to the aircraft in general.

If (when?) I ever get round to fully completing this one, I will replace the window decal with a more realistic version. In truth, the one I used is from the decal sheet of another Fly kit as I found the one on the 26 sheet a bit too big and it didn't look right. I may give Pas decals a go as he has just released a generic DC-9/MD-80 window set.

Oh, one thing I may not have mentioned is that the wings have been over coated with a gloss/ matt varnish (40/60) to try and break up the overall glossy look of the model. Not really sure I'd do it again as in some lights it looks a bit odd!!

Jeff 

That really is lovely Jeff, the finish is superb. Got to agree with Zebra about airliners of the 70's and 80's, some lovely schmes like this in that era.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Thanks guys. The 70's were an interesting time for the airlines. Some really nice colour schemes many of which featured a cheat line. Then later in the decade Air France introduced the initial version of their current scheme...and things began to change*.

It's nice to finish my group build models. The next to complete will be the Cubana IL-62. Then the BPK CRJ will probably move to the WiP section as there's still a lot of work to do. 

Jeff 

* Not blaming AF for the current rather dull and bland 'Euro white schemes (I think Lufthansa are often cited as being guilty ones, 1988/9 ish).

Edited by pinky coffeeboat